Split (2016 American film)
Split is a 2016 American psychological horror thriller film in the superhero genre, written, produced and directed by M. Night Shyamalan and starring James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Betty Buckley. The film follows a man with 23 different personalities who kidnaps and imprisons three teenage girls in an isolated underground facility. The film is a standalone sequel to the 2000 film Unbreakable, and is the second installment in the Unbreakable trilogy. The film was not marketed as a sequel, instead saving the revelation for a scene featuring Bruce Willis reprising his Unbreakable role in an uncredited cameo. The final part of the trilogy Glass (2019), combined the casts and characters of both previous films.
- An individual with multiple personalities can change their body chemistry with their thoughts.
- Everything is so easy for you guys. You do one thing, you can predict the next thing. It's not the way it's gonna be in this situation.
- I'll let you know when I hear something that makes sense.
Kevin Wendell Crumb
- The Horde keeps obsessing about the ones who haven't suffered. I don't know where they're going with this, but it scares me.
- The Beast is a sentient creature who represents the highest form of humans' evolution. He believes the time of ordinary humanity is over. I hope this makes you feel calm. You will be in the presence of something greater. I was gonna ask for your last shirt, but I won't. Because tonight is a sacred night. It's almost over.
- We are glorious! We will no longer be afraid. Only through pain can you achieve your greatness! The impure are the untouched, the unburned, the unslain. Those who have not been torn have no value in themselves and no place in this world! They are asleep!
- You are different from the rest. Your heart is pure! Rejoice! The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.
- Dr. Fletcher: They are what they believe they are. The brain has learned to defend itself.
- Academic colleague: You are treating them like they are supernaturally gifted, like they have powers or something. Karen, these are these are patients, they have been through trauma.
- Dr. Fletcher: And perhaps now they are capable of something we're not. We have brain scans now. DID patients have changed their body chemistry with their thoughts.
- The Beast: We are what we believe we are.
- Hedwig: Holy shit, this is so cool! They are gonna believe we exist now, right?
- Dennis: They are gonna have to.
- Hedwig: So, what do we do now?
- Patricia: [referring to the Beast] We trust in him. He'll protect us. Look at what he can do. Let him show the world how powerful we can be.
- Diner Patron [after listening to news reports of "the Horde"]: This is like that crazy guy in the wheelchair that they put away 15 years ago. And they gave him a funny name, too. What was it?
- David Dunn: Mr. Glass.