St. Elmo's Fire (film)
St. Elmo's Fire is a 1985 film about a group of friends, recent graduates of Georgetown University, and their adjustment to their post-university lives and the responsibilities of encroaching adulthood. The film is a prominent movie of the Brat Pack genre.
- [about Dale] She is the only evidence of God I have seen with the exception of the mysterious force that removes one sock from the dryer every time I do my laundry.
- There are several quintessential moments in a man's life: losing his virginity, getting married, becoming a father, and having the right girl smile at you.
- You know there are more people in law school right now than there are lawyers on the entire planet? Think about that.
- Jules, y'know, honey... this isn't real. You know what it is? It's St. Elmo's Fire. Electric flashes of light that appear in dark skies out of nowhere. Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them... there was no fire. There wasn't even a St. Elmo. They made it up. They made it up because they thought they needed it to keep them going when times got tough, just like you're making up all of this. We're all going through this. It's our time at the edge.
- No diet works. The only way to lose weight in the thighs is amputation
- Kirby: It's true love, my friend.
- Kevin: Love, love, you know what love is? Love is an illusion created by lawyer types like yourself to perpetuate another illusion called marriage to create the reality of divorce and then the illusionary need for divorce lawyers.
- Kevin: Marriage is a concept invented by people who were lucky to make it to 20 without being eaten by dinosaurs. Marriage is obsolete.
- Alec: Dinosaurs are obsolete. Marriage is still around.
- Kirby: I always thought we'd be friends forever.
- Kevin: Yeah, well forever got a lot shorter all of a sudden.
- Jules: Don't you enjoy anything anymore... like girls?
- Kevin: I enjoy being afraid of Russia. It's a harmless fear, but it makes America feel better, Russia gets an inflated sense of national worth from our paranoia. How's that?
- Kirby: You are just pissed off and bitter because you have not had sex in... how long? What is it... a year... maybe two? Refresh my memory please, Kevin. Haven't you heard of the sexual revolution?
- Kevin: Who won, huh? Nobody. Used to be sex was the only free thing, No longer. Alimony... palimony... it's all financial. Love is an illusion.
- Kirby: It's the only illusion that counts, my friend.
- Kevin: Says who?
- Kirby: Anyone who's been in love.
- Kevin: Love sucks.
- Kirby: So does your attitude.
- Alec: You ran out on this relationship, you take the consequences.
- Leslie: I didn't run out on anything. You ran out.
- Alec: You had sex with Kevin.
- Leslie: [shouting] You had sex with many!
- Alec: Nameless, faceless many.
- Leslie: I feel much better now. Thanks.
- Leslie: How's Howie?
- Wendy: Oh well, I wouldn't say my father's trying to bribe me, but he did offer me a Chrysler Lebaron convertible if I get engaged to Howie.
- Jules: Have you had sex with him yet?
- Wendy: Jules!... God.
- Jules: Listen... get the car, fuck him, and if you don't like him, break the engagement... And then you can still have sex with him.
- Kevin: Well, you're all I think about.
- Leslie: Me?
- Kevin: And I think the reason I'm not interested in other women, and why I haven't had sex in so long, is because I'm desperately, completely in love with you.
- Wendy: We're really worried about this affair with your boss.
- Jules: I don't know why you're both so worried... So, I bop him for a couple of years, get his job when he gets his hands caught in the vault, do a black mink ad, retire in utter disgrace, then write a best seller and be a fabulous host on my own talk show...
- Jules: I thought you were taking steps to phase out everything that wasn't working in your life.
- Wendy: That doesn't leave much.
- Leslie: I'm sorry to bother you here.
- Alec: Did you forget one of your albums?
- Leslie: It's Jules. After she left, for work this morning, some finance company came. They took away her furniture, her Jeep, everything. I tried to reach her but, I couldn't get through so, I went into her office. She's been pretending, to go to work every day, telling me she still, has an affair with her boss. Alec, he fired her three weeks ago. So, I confronted her, at first she denied everything and, she went crazy. She locked me out of the apartment, and she won't let me back in. Alec please, I need your help.
- They thought they'd be friends forever, but forever couldn't last.
- The passion burns deep.
- The heat this summer is at Saint Elmo's Fire.
- You can always count on your friends. Don't ever let the fire go out.
- Emilio Estevez - Kirby "Kirbo" Keager
- Andrew McCarthy - Kevin Dolenz
- Rob Lowe - Billy Hicks
- Judd Nelson - Alec Newbury
- Ally Sheedy - Leslie Hunter
- Demi Moore - Julianna "Jules" Van Patten
- Mare Winningham - Wendy Beamish
- Andie MacDowell - Dale Biberman
- Martin Balsam - Mr. Beamish
- Joyce Van Patten - Mrs. Beamish
- Jenny Wright - Felicia