Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Stephen "Stevie" Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990) was an American guitarist, singer, songwriter, and founding member of Double Trouble.
- You know, [Jojo] right now, the most important thing in my life is to make sure you understand that, first of all, I thank God I’m alive today, and I mean that. You see, I spent too many years of my life thinking that the big party was the whole thing. It took me quite a while to find out that the real deal is to be able to be enough of a person on your own to know when somebody loves and cares about you. You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other — our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That’s to help each other, not hurt each other. Sometimes, to help them, we've got to help ourselves, so that we’ll know that they’re around in the first place. You see, it’s a big world out there with enough pain and misery in it, without me going around and helping it out by hurting myself, and consequently, those that care about me. What I’m trying to get across to you is: Please take care of yourself and those that you love, because that’s what we are here for, that’s all we’ve got, and that is what we can take with us.
- From a speech during "Life Without You" in Philadelphia (June 30, 1987) at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts. 
- I hit rock bottom, but thank God my bottom wasn't death.
- As quoted in Guitar World, September 1988
- I am stranded, caught in the crossfire.
- "Crossfire", In Step
- Walkin' the Tightrope, steppin' on my friends
Walkin' the tight rope, it was a shame and a sin.
Walkin the tight rope between wrong and right.
Walkin the tight-rope both day and night.
- "Tightrope", In Step
- Up and down that road in our worn out shoes.
Talkin' 'bout good things and singin' the blues.
You went your way and I stayed behind.
We both knew it was just a matter of time.
You're liv-in out dreams of you on top.
My mind is achin' and, Lord it won't stop.
That's how it happened livin' life by the drop.
- "Life by the Drop", "The Sky is Crying"
- You got me flippin' like a flag on a pole.
- "Come On"
- Yeah I love my baby, heart and soul
Love like ours won't never grow old
She's my sweet little thang, she's my pride and joy
She's my sweet little baby, I'm her little lover boy
- "Pride and Joy"
Quotes about Stevie Ray Vaughan
- "Stevie Ray Vaughan did to music what Michael Jordan did for basketball. Stevie brought blues alive at a crucial moment, as far as I'm concerned."
- Buddy Guy
- "I don't think Stevie ever knew how incredible he really was."
- Tommy Shannon, Double Trouble bassist
- "I was driving, and "Let's Dance" came on the radio. I stopped my car and said, 'I have to know who this guitar player is today. Not tomorrow, but today.' That has only happened to me three or four times ever, and probably not for anyone in between Duane Allman and Stevie."
- Eric Clapton
- "The first time I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan was seeing "Let's Dance" on MTV, and I was jumping out of my seat screaming, "Who the hell is playing guitar?"
- Steve Miller
- ↑ Buddy Guy: True to the Blues, PBS, 44:01, retrieved on 24 February 2023
- ↑ Paul (2019), page 186
- ↑ Paul (2019), page 148-9
- ↑ Paul (2019), page 149
- Paul, Alan; Aledort, Andy (2019). Texas Flood. The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan. New York: St. Martin's Press. p. 186. ISBN 9781250142832.