Sunil Gavaskar (born 10 July 1949) is a former Indian cricketer. He played in the 1970s-1980s for the Bombay cricket team and Indian national cricket team. He is widely regarded as one of the best opening batsman in the world.
- I think that the Virat Kohli era has dawned over the last year or so. It's been there ever since he took over the Test captaincy and because he is now going to create a completely different niche as far as Indian cricket is concerned. I think this era of India cricket is going to be a highly entertaining era.
- Before the match, former India captain Sunil Gavaskar told NDTV that the Kohli era has started, quoted on sports.ndtv, "Virat Kohli Proves His Era Has Begun, After Guiding India Into World T20 Semifinals", March 27, 2016.
- Virat gave more than 100 per cent against Australia to take India into semifinals. I haven't seen anybody as composed as Virat Kohli under pressure. He is beyond phenomenal. He is the best limited overs batsman
- After the match in which Kohli powers India into the World T20 semi-final, quoted on sports.ndtv, "Virat Kohli Proves His Era Has Begun, After Guiding India Into World T20 Semifinals", March 27, 2016.
- MS Dhoni knew what to do. His plans showed that he was at the top of his game. Also, the commitment of the players was there to see as they tried to get India out of a sticky situation.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni was lauded for his coolness and his captaincy after India clung on for a one-run win over Bangladesh in the World Twenty20, quoted on Indian Express, "India vs Bangladesh: MS Dhoni knew what to do, says Sunil Gavaskar", March 25, 2016.
- If you are giving this medicine (spinning track) to opposition, then you should be able to take it yourself. We need to accept that India have struggled against quality spin bowling. If they would have won, there would not have been any talk on the pitch. Whether you win or lose, the next game against Pakistan is a must-win game. Also if you lose, the you are out of the tournament. They have struggled against New Zealand, they might find it even tougher against Pakistan, if this is the kind of pitches they want. India lost because they were over-confident but the NZ think-tank needs to be credited for picking three spinners for this match.
- Former captain Sunil Gavaskar feels India got a taste of their own medicine in the World Twenty20 loss to New Zealand and the hosts should be prepared to handle quality spin if they want to dish out rank turners for their rivals, quoted on abplive.com, "India vs New Zealand: Sunil Gavaskar says India got the taste of their own medicine", March 16, 2016.
- Sri Lanka will suffer with their batting after Sangakkara's retirement. It will be very difficult for them to win the next Test without him around
- Sunil Gavaskar, "Kumar Sangakkara's Retirement Will Hit Sri Lanka Hard, Says Sunil Gavaskar", August 24, 2015.
Encyclopedic article on Sunil Gavaskar at Wikipedia