Super Metroid is the third installment in the Metroid series of video games. Considered one of the greatest video games in history, it was developed by Nintendo's R&D1 team, and released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1994. With its 24-megabit cartridge size, it was the largest game available for the console at the time. In it, the bounty hunter Samus Aran has recovered a Metroid larva from her recent expedition to the planet SR388 and brought it to a space colony to be studied, but receives a distress call. Returning to find the scientists dead and the larva stolen by space pirates, she follows them in her powered exoskeleton to the planet Zebes.
- Narrator: The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace…
- On a routine survey mission of the planet SR388, the crew of a Galactic Federation vessel discovered a new airborne life form and gave it the name "Metroid". These creatures, which could engulf other living beings and take away their energy, proved to be strong and prolific. After just a few seconds of Beta-Ray bombardmen, a single Metroid became two Metroids, and then four.
- Bounty hunter Samus Aran was commissioned by the Galactic Federation to eliminate the space pirates and do away with the dangerous Metroids. Samus landed on Zebes alone and carried out her mission with speed and precision.
- Ibid, p.3
- When the queen was defeated, Samus discovered a Metroid egg which hatched before her eyes. Even this hardened bounty hunter could not destroy the Metroid larva. When the larva sense Samus' presence, it clung to her as though it had found its mother.
- Ibid, p.4
- When Samus made her way to the research facility, she found the building in ruins and the Metroid larva was nowhere to be found. Out from the darkness came a group of Zebesian space pirates and their leader, Ridley, who had the Metroid larva in tow. The pirates fled to a rebuilt planet Zebes and Samus followed them, resolving to finish them off and save the hatchling.
- Ibid, p.5