- You're done. Once you're a surfer, you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out.
- All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- "Jeff Spicoli", in Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- In one place we came upon a large company of naked natives, of both sexes and all ages, amusing themselves with the national pastime of surf-bathing. Each heathen would paddle three or four hundred yards out to sea, (taking a short board with him), then face the shore and wait for a particularly prodigious billow to come along; at the right moment he would fling his board upon its foamy crest and himself upon the board, and here he would come whizzing by like a bombshell! It did not seem that a lightning express train could shoot along at a more hair-lifting speed. I tried surf-bathing once, subsequently, but made a failure of it. I got the board placed right, and at the right moment, too; but missed the connection myself. — The board struck the shore in three quarters of a second, without any cargo, and I struck the bottom about the same time, with a couple of barrels of water in me. None but natives ever master the art of surf-bathing thoroughly.
- It was so big [the wave], it didn't even know we were there.
- It's just the best way to start your day. Surfers eat pizza. People who surf, they know the object is to have fun. You work hard, but you work hard to have fun.
- Surf, Eat, Sleep...
- Dean Miller, CEO of Dean Miller Surf Bedding
- When you're surfing, you're living. Everything else is just waiting.
- Show me an underwater earthquake and I'll show you an excuse to surf.
- Jarrett Sullivan
- Surfing wasn't about money back then. Surfers always lived cheaply and scraped by.
- It's all about where your mind's at.
- The idea that an individual can find God is terribly self-centered. It is like a wave thinking it can find the sea.
- Surfing soothes me, it's always been a kind of zen experience for me. The ocean is so magnificent, peaceful, and awesome. The rest of the world disappears for me when I'm on a wave.
- How would you like to stand like a God before the crest of a monster billow, always rushing to the bottom of a hill and never reaching its base, and to come rushing in for a half mile at express speed, in graceful attitude, until you reach the beach and step easily from the wave?
- Out of the water, I am nothing.
- Sometimes in the morning, when it's a good surf, I go out there, and I don't feel like it's a bad world.
- If you direct your attention to the position of a bird with regard to the wave surface, it will speedily be noticed to be nearly always on the rising side or face of the wave and moving apparently at right angles to the wave's course, but really diagonal to it.
- I tried body surfing once, but how often do you find a corpse?
- Then, after I've gotten rid of Batman and Robin for good, I will rule the waves. Me, the Joker, king of the surf and all the surfers. Then, Gotham City! Later, the world!
- The Joker from Batman