Jump to navigation Jump to search
Swing Kids is a 1993 film, set in pre-World War II Germany, about two high school students who attempt to be swing kids by night and Hitler Youth by day, a decision that acutely impacts their friends and families.
- Directed by Thomas Carter. Written by Jonathan Marc Feldman.
In a world on the brink of war. You either march to one tune or dance to another.taglines
- If you side with the Nazis, Thomas, then we're at war.
- Isn't it best to know what you're getting into... before you agree to get involved in it?
- How I envy the young. For them everything is so clear. Things seem to be either one way or another. It is only with a little age that you begin to see life as a series of compromises. But even in compromising one must draw a line.
- What's the matter with all of you? Can't you see what's happening? Are you afraid to look? We are murdering Austrians. Next it'll be the Czechs, and the Poles, not to mention the Gypsies, and the Jews- it's unmentionable! You think that just because you're not doing it yourself, you're not a part of it? Well, I'm sick and tired of doing my part!
- Thomas: Go to hell, traitor.
- Emil: I'm not a traitor; I just wised up. You will too.
- Thomas: Arvid! What the hell was that speech all about? The Jews, and the Gypsies? What about the cripples?! You know, that's who you belong with!
- Arvid: I would rather belong to anyone... ANYONE, than belong to the Nazis like you do.
- Thomas: You know, that's because you have everything backwards. You always said I was the stupid one. Nazis go anywhere they want, do anything they please, and everyone gets out of our way! You know, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about anybody but myself, because we're coming after you next.
- Arvid: Quiz time. Got your glasses on.
- Thomas: What?
- Arvid: It means you don't know who your friends are.
- Peter: Yes, you. What the hell was that all about? Those things you were saying?
- Thomas: I was saying?!
- Peter: I can't believe- you don't really believe all that propaganda, do you?
- Thomas: Peter, he's the one that's got his head full of propaganda. Did you hear him? He was actually defending the Jews! You see what that music's done to Arvid? It's perverted his brain. Look at him.
- Peter: What? I can't believe this! Arvid's right about you.
- Thomas: Oh, you always think it's Arvid. You do, if it's right or wrong, you always pick a side!
- Peter: Well, he is right! Listen to yourself! You're turning into a fucking Nazi!
- Thomas: Oh, so what if I am? Oh, that's right, I'm sorry; I forgot. Your father was a Jew-lover too, wasn't he?
- Thomas: Hey, where you been?
- Willi: Hi, Peter.
- Thomas: I've been waiting for you.
- Peter: Did Mama get back yet?
- Willi: No. Thomas was just showing me his knife.
- Peter: Give it to him. Give him back the knife!
- Thomas: Give me the knife. Willi, Peter and I need to talk for a minute.
- Peter: Go on.
- [Willi leaves the room]
- Thomas: He's gonna make a fine soldier someday.
- Peter: I hope not.
- Thomas: Yeah, well, the way we walked into Czechoslovakia... he'll probably never even have to fight anyone.
- Peter: What do you want?
- Thomas: Nothing. I just wanted to talk.
- Peter: About what?
- Thomas: I'm just worried about the way you've been acting lately. I know Arvid's death shook you up... but you've got to forget about it.
- Peter: Forget about it?
- Thomas: Yeah. You've got to. He's just one person.
- Peter: He was our friend!
- Thomas: It doesn't matter. Peter, you can't save everybody. There are more important things now. Any time, we could be at war!
- Peter: If you side with the Nazis, then we're at war. You and me, Thomas. I'm not going to forget about Arvid. They murdered him! They murdered my father!
- Peter: Wait a second. What are you talking about? Arvid killed himself. Arvid was a cripple. He didn't belong.
- Peter: What's happened to you? He was a cripple? He killed himself because he did not want to become a murderer. Don't you see that's what they're trying to turn us into?
- Thomas: Stop, Peter! Stop talking this way! Just stop it! You gotta go along, make the best of things.
- Peter: They want us to spy on our own parents! Don't you understand?! God knows what else they'll do!
- Thomas: Peter, we're not in charge. We can't know what's really going on.
- Peter: They're evil, Thomas!
- Thomas: Shut up! I'm not hearing this! You don't know what you're saying! Do you want me to re... [Thomas pauses, realizing what he almost said, then goes to leave.] Just go along. Just make the best of things.
- Herr Knopp: [as Peter is arrested] Such a waste. So much passion, for nothing.
- Peter: It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing! Do wop do wop.
- [Peter is taken away]
- In a world on the brink of war. You either march to one tune or dance to another.
- They fought for the freedom that bound them together.
- Robert Sean Leonard - Peter Müller
- Christian Bale - Thomas Berger
- Frank Whaley - Arvid
- Barbara Hershey - Frau Müller
- Tushka Bergen - Evey
- David Tom - Willi Müller
- Julia Stemberger - Frau Linge
- Kenneth Branagh - SS-Sturmbandführer Knopp
- Noah Wyle - Emil Lutz
- Jessica Hynes - Helga
- Martin Clunes - Bandführer
- Jayce Bartok - Otto