A kind word and a gun
- You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
- Although Forbes (6 October 1986) is cited as a source for this on the main Page, neither Garson O'Toole (at The Quote Investigator website) nor Barry Popik (at The Big Apple website) think that Al Capone ever said this. In fact, it is also attributed to "Professor" Irwin Corey in the Italian language Wikiquote. --Hughh (talk) 19:51, 2 May 2017 (UTC)
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Al Capone.
- Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.
- You can go a long way with a smile, You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun.
- All I ever did was to sell beer and whiskey to our best people. All I ever did was to supply a demand that was pretty popular. Why, the very guys that make my trade good are the ones that yell the loudest about me.
- Bolshevism is knocking at our gates, we can't afford to let it in...We must keep America whole and safe and unspoiled. We must keep the worker away from red literature and red ruses; we must see that his mind remains healthy.
- Don't you get the idea I'm one of those goddamn radicals. Don't get the idea I'm knocking the American system.
- I am going to St. Petersburg, Florida, tomorrow. Let the worthy citizens of Chicago get their liquor the best they can. I'm sick of the job - it's a thankless one and full of grief. I've been spending the best years of my life as a public benefactor.
- I don't even know what street Canada is on.
- Vote early and vote often.
- When I sell liquor, it’s called bootlegging. When my patrons serve it on silver trays on Lake Shore Drive, it’s called hospitality.
- Public service is my motto.
- It's a racket. Those stock market guys are crooked.
- My Jesus, mercy.