The "madness is the emergancy exit" quote is a line of the Joker's in one of Alan Moore's most famous Batman issues- The Killing Joke
- heh, I was just about to say that too Page 21, bottom left hand panel. There isn't really a better place to put it though and it wouldn't justify a section of it's own. 184.108.40.206 00:06, 6 August 2007 (UTC) Elmo
Moore on anarchy
Hi folks, those who have experience in including key quotes by individuals within Wikipedia, please feel free to pull out the best quote or quotes of Moore talking about his strong beliefs re. anarchy (anarchism, technically, since statists have convinced the masses that "anarchy" = "disorder/chaos") from this video clip: Alan Moore talks - 01 - V For Vendetta -- BBC 4's Comics Britannia series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX7ehbE1vc0 (thx). 220.127.116.11 22:32, 9 March 2009 (UTC)
- better quote video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfF-nxjDi0 18.104.22.168 01:37, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Alan Moore. --Antiquary 18:16, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- Because our entire universe is made up of consciousness, we never really experience the universe directly we just experience our consciousness of the universe, our perception of it, so right, our only universe is perception.
- Can it be a coincidence that, say, in the Sun newspaper, the ideal of female beauty would seem to be the body — the overdeveloped body — of a nubile woman and, what, the face of a twelve-year-old? Paedophilia is completely ingrained within our culture.
- Don't leave home without your sword — your intellect.
- I think the vocabulary of the average Sun reader is something like 10,000 words.
- In a sense, the story, or poem or verse or whatever it is you're writing, you can kind of think of it as a kind of projectile. Imagine it is a kind of projectile which has been specially shaped to be aerodynamic, and that your target is the soft grey putty of the reader's brain.
- It was the best of times and the worst of times, and it was all of them at once.
- I've read the script and it is rubbish.
- When asked about his disassociation with V for Vendetta Motion Picture
- Language comes first. It's not that language grows out of consciousness, if you haven't got language, you can't be conscious.
- Of course, Marxism is an example of what Karl Popper would have called a 'World Three' structure, in that it's got immense power as an idea, but you couldn't actually hold up anything in the world and say: 'this is Marxism'.
- Sherlock Holmes is a massive figure in people's minds. More massive than a lot of real historical characters — these figures have real weight. They might be just made out of words and paper, but their effect in the world can be massive, if they've got the right kind of mass, the right kind of gravity and momentum.
- Text-messaging or The Sun, these are perfect Orwellian ways of limiting the vocabulary and thus limiting the consciousness.
- The entire universe — for one thing — only exists in your perceptions. That's all you're gonna see of it. To all practical intents and purposes this is purely some kind of lightshow that's being put on in the kind of neurons in our brain. The whole of reality.
- The one place in which gods and demons inarguably exist is in the human mind, where they are real in all their grandeur and monstrosity.
- The only place that you seem to find anything of any value is at the margins of any of these cultures, at the fringes of pop and of cinema and comics and books. That's where the real action's going on, not in the kind of Oscar-winning or Booker-prize winning enclave.
- There is only one group which would ever call for the banning of The Diary of Anne Frank, and I don't care what they happen to be calling themselves these days.
- To some degree Satanism is purely a kind of disease of Christianity. You've got to really be Christian to believe in Satan.
- War is a perversion of sex.
- We gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from the another's vantage point, as if new, it may still take our breath away.
- We are to suffer an apocalypse of cockatoos. Morose barbaric children playing joylessly with their unfathomable toys.
- I removed three quotes from above, which I've added a source for.