Talk:American Civil Liberties Union
i want to know more about this group.
Alleged Baldwin quote
The quote attributed to Baldwin ("...Communism is, of course, the goal.") is unsourced nonsense -- see the hunt for a source on the Wikipedia article. I have deleted it, and I am sure it will have to be deleted again and again. Twinxor 19:29, 30 October 2006 (UTC)
- The ACLU has stood foursquare against the recurring tides of hysteria that from time to time threaten freedoms everywhere.
- America needs a civil liberties union. It no longer has one. I still make my contribution because the ACLU still does some good, but if things don't change, it could become an enemy of free speech.
- Professor Alan Dershowitz, 25-year ACLU member
- I'm glad the ACLU raises the objections it does, because it forces the government and Congress to be mindful of First Amendment rights.
- U.S. Representative Henry Hyde (2003)
- The American Civil Liberties Union is closely affiliated with the communist movement in the United States, and fully 90 percent of its efforts are on behalf of communists who have come into conflict with the law. It claims to stand for free speech, free press, and free assembly; but it is quite apparent that the main function of the ACLU is to attempt to protect the communists in their advocacy of force and violence to overthrow the government, replacing the American flag by a red flag and erecting a Soviet government in place of the republican form of government guaranteed to each state by the federal Constitution... Since its beginnings, the ACLU has waged war against Christianity.
- Special House Committee to Investigate Communist Activities (1931)
- Finally, the ACLU — we talked about this yesterday and I — and, you know, I have to pick on the ACLU because they're the most dangerous organization in the United States of America right now. There's by far. There's nobody even close to that. They're, like, second next to Al Qaeda.
- Bill O'Reilly (2 June 2004)
- It's the Bill of Rights not suggestions.
- Keep America Safe and Free.