Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Amy Tan. --Antiquary 18:26, 21 July 2009 (UTC)
- God, life changes faster than you think.
- I did not lose myself all at once. I rubbed out my face over the years washing away my pain, the same way carvings on stone are worn down by water.
- I didn't fear failure. I expected failure.
- I have a writer's memory which makes everything worse than maybe it actually was.
- I learned to forgive myself, and that enabled me to forgive my mother as a person.
- I think I was a gloomy kid. I was trying to behave, trying to be good. I really loved my father. He was my mentor in a way, so I wanted to please him a lot.
- I think I've always been somebody, since the deaths of my father and brother, who was afraid to hope. So, I was more prepared for failure and for rejection than for success.
- I was in a school in the third grade and they were thinking of skipping me, putting me in a higher grade. But then somebody said that would be bad psychologically.
- I was intelligent enough to make up my own mind. I not only had freedom of choice, I had freedom of expression.
- Who knows where inspiration comes from. Perhaps it arises from desperation. Perhaps it comes from the flukes of the universe, the kindness of the muses.