Added item attributed to Artemus Ward:
"It ain’t so much the things we don’t know that get us into trouble, it’s the things we do know that just ain’t so."
- Quoted in the article "Knowledge in the U.S." by Robert McHenry, Chicago Tribune 3/21/05)
- Tclose 16:26, 14 April 2007 (UTC)
- If you can provide a precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Artemus Ward.
- I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my wife's brother.
- My wife is one of the best wimin on this Continent, altho' she isn't always gentle as a lamb with mint sauce.
- The happy married man dies in good stile at home, surrounded by his weeping wife and children. The old bachelor don't die at all - he sort of rots away, like a pollywog's tail.
- They drink with impunity, or anybody who invites them.
- Why don't you show us a statesman who can rise up to the emergency, and cave in the emergency's head?
- It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble, it's the things we do know that just ain't so.