Talk:Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor.
- A man who knows four languages is worth four men.
- Exterminate heresy, lest it take root and overturn the state and social order.
- to his son, Phillip II
- In my realm, the sun never sets. (Nunca se ponía el sol)
- I make war on the living, not on the dead.
- Said when advised to hang Luther's corpse on the gallows. (1546)
- I was managed and governed by M. de Chièvres, and I was not old enough to know these Kingdoms or experienced enough to govern them. And as I left immediately for Flanders, having spent very little time there, and what is more, being still unmarried and without an heir, it is not surprising that there was scandal and disturbance.
- I could fit Paris in my Ghent.
- I see that luck resembles women: it prefers a young king than an old emperor.
- After his unsuccessful attempt at taking Metz from Henry the Second, king of France.
- Iron hand in a velvet glove.
- My life has been one long journey.
- There are those who say that I wish to rule the world, but both my thoughts and my deeds demonstrate the contrary.
- To settle this matter (heresy), I am determined to use my kingdoms and dominions, my friends, my body, my blood, my life and my soul.
- I have done all I could and I am sorry I could do no better (Abdication Speech in the Netherlands)