If only they, the whiteman, had taken the time to listen and understand
- Then there wouldn't be a United States, and the world would be a different place.
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Chief Joseph. --Antiquary 17:52, 21 September 2009 (UTC)
- The Earth and myself are of one mind.
- We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God, as the Catholics and Protestants do. We do not want to learn that. We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel about the Great Spirit.
- I knew I had never sold my country, and that I had no land in Lapwai; but I did not want bloodshed. I did not want my people killed. I did not want anybody killed....I said in my heart that, rather than have war, I would give up everything rather than have the blood of white men upon the hands of my people.
- I believe much trouble and blood would be saved if we opened our hearts more. I will tell you in my way how the Indian sees things. The white man has more words to tell you how they look to him, but it does not require many words to speak the truth.
- Look twice at a two-faced man.
- Cursed be he that scalps the reputation of the dead.
- The eye tells what the tongue would hide.
- Big name often stands on small legs.
- Finest fur may cover toughest meat.