Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The prosperity we have known up to the present is the consequence of rapidly spending the planet's irreplaceable capital.
- Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- I believe in God, only I spell it 'Nature'.
- You know, the basic problem is greed and poverty. The poor chop down trees because they need wood for fire, and big companies chop them down for profit, with corrupt officials getting their take while looking the other way, before the wood is exported or sold to local factories. No one thinks about the wildlife that is being left homeless or destroyed due to this desperation and this greed.
- It's no good being a conservationist and keeping your lips sealed tight, no matter what you might be doing physically. You've got to tell people what you're doing, so they'll pick it up too, do the same thing. As for me, I'm going to keep on doing this until I can't do it anymore, and that will be the day when I say goodbye to this world.
- I believe sustainable use is the greatest propaganda in wildlife conservation at the moment.
- The real cure for our environmental problems is to understand that our job is to salvage Mother Nature ... We are facing a formidable enemy in this field. It is the hunters ... and to convince them to leave their guns on the wall is going to be very difficult.
- Our attitude towards plants is a singularly narrow one. If we see any immediate utility in a plant we foster it. If for any reason we find its presence undesirable or merely a matter of indifference, we may condemn it to destruction forthwith.
- The "control of nature" is a phrase conceived in arrogance, born of the Neanderthal age of biology and the convenience of man.