- I can write good songs. I can sing 'em, and I mean it, I mean it deeply, and I pour everything into that. Other than that, I suck.
- My life isn't necessarily more important than anyone else's: I'm just better in talking about it.
- There just is exponentially more money in the movie business than in the music business. As a result there are more people involved in the creative process.
- Truth is, you make albums, and some of those songs are hits, and some of the greatest hits albums have songs that weren't hits. You have a career, the reason why we're still around 10 years is that we do have successful songs.
- When so much money is involved in these movies, someone somewhere is going to try to screw you."
- Sometimes the world seems like a big hole. You spend all your life shouting down it and all you hear are echoes of some idiot yelling nonsense down a hole.
- All my songs are where I am.
- Art is just an expression, it's something you do because you need to express yourself. You take what's going on on the inside and put it on the outside, that's just who you are. I just write songs because I feel a certain way. When you've got a bunch of them, that's an album. They're all different.
- In LA, and also on tour, I've been isolated for too long. On stage you're the man, but other than that, there's nothing I like about being on tour. Thousands of people that worship you are nothing, compared to one evening with your friends. But it's my job: I'm a grown-up man, and I go to work.