- Don't call me a saint. I don't want to be dismissed so easily.
- Food for the body is not enough. There must be food for the soul.
- I believe that we must reach our brother, never toning down our fundamental oppositions, but meeting him when he asks to be met, with a reason for the faith that is in us, as well as with a loving sympathy for them as brothers.
- I firmly believe that our salvation depends on the poor.
- I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions.
- If we do not keep indoctrinating, we lose the vision. And if we lose the vision, we become merely philanthropists, doling out palliatives.
- Our common action in the Sacrifice of the Mass, impersonal, anti-individualistic is the best weapon against the world.
- Tradition! We scarcely know the word anymore. We are afraid to be either proud of our ancestors or ashamed of them. We scorn nobility in name and in fact. We cling to a bourgeois mediocrity which would make it appear we are all Americans, made in the image and likeness of George Washington.
- Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.