- Anyone who says minimum wage laws decrease unemployment disavows the law of demand and is therefore unqualified to speak as an economist.
- Nobel Laureate James M. Buchanan
- Economics is a complex and complicated world about all the simple things we see everyday.
- Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.
- Ultimately, property rights and personal rights are the same thing. The one cannot be preserved if the other be violated.
- Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs.
- The prosperity we have known up to the present is the consequence of rapidly spending the planet's irreplaceable capital.
- Things may come to those who wait. But only the things left by those who hustle.
- That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
- Economics is the science of greed.
- The body of economic knowledge is an essential element in the structure of human civilization; it is the foundation upon which modern industrialism and all the moral, intellectual, technological, and therapeutical achievements of the last centuries have been built.
- All people, however fanatical they may be in their zeal to disparage and to fight capitalism, implicitly pay homage to it by passionately clamoring for the products it turns out.
- An economist is a man who states the obvious in terms of the incomprehensible.
- Ordinary human concern for human distress does not manifest itself ordinarily in the form of a gun aimed at the wallets and earnings of one's neighbors.
- While, politically, a mixed economy preserves the semblance of an organized society with a semblance of law and order, economically it is the equivalent of the chaos that had ruled China for centuries: a chaos of robber gangs looting--and draining--the productive elements of the country.
- If economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion
- No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong.