Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Enrico Fermi. --Antiquary 20:49, 18 September 2009 (UTC)
- Albert! Stop telling God what to do.
- Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.
- Never be first; try to be second.
- After his paper on beta decay was turned down by the journal Nature because "it contained speculations which were too remote from reality".
- Never underestimate the joy people derive from hearing something they already know.
- The fundamental point in fabricating a chain reacting machine is of course to see to it that each fission produces a certain number of neutrons and some of these neutrons will again produce fission.
- Whatever nature has in store for mankind, unpleasant as it may be, men must accept, for ignorance is never better than knowledge.
- Variant: It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge.
- A three standard deviation is a statistical fluctuation; a five standard deviation effect is a miracle. Quoted by Owen Chamberlain.