Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Capitalism is the joy of gambling.
- [Gambling] is a way of throwing money down the toilet without people calling you insane.
- [Gambling] is the sure way of getting nothing for something.
- The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling.
- The lottery: a tax on people who flunked math.
- The lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.
- A bumper sticker.
- There is nothing that wears out a fine face like the vigils of the card-table, and those cutting passions which naturally attend them. Hollow eyes, haggard looks and pale complexions are the natural indications.
- Games of chance are traps to catch school boy novices and gaping country squires, who begin with a guinea and end with a mortgage.
- All gaming, since it implies a desire to profit at the expense of another, involves a breach of the tenth commandment.
- There is but one good throw upon the dice, which is, to throw them away.
- I look upon every man as a suicide from the moment he takes the dice-box desperately in his hand; and all that follows in his fatal career from that time is only sharpening the dagger before he strikes it to his heart.
- The only man who makes money following the races is one who does it with a broom and shovel.
- Gambling is possibly the only human vice where you can probably never persuade the gambler to bet that he'll give it up.
- A game of chance is a million to one.
- Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock, and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. if it doesn't go up, don't buy it.