Declare victory and go home
I read somewhere that Aiken actually never said the phrase "declare victory and go home." Supposedly, that was just a popular paraphrase of this speech. But, I don't have any sources at hand, so I'm leaving it as "attributed."--Fagles 21:55, 21 December 2006 (UTC)
- If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.
- The best policy is to declare victory and get out.
- Discussing the Vietnam war
- True conservation provides for wise use by the general public. The American people do not want our resources preserved for the exclusive use of the wealthy. These land and water resources belong to the people, and people of all income levels should have easy access to them.
- People are people the world over. Some are good, some bad, some greedy and some generous. Nations are like people and act the same way.
- We cannot go back to the days when we graded apples by the number of wormholes, picked potato bugs by hand, and milked by hand in the lantern light.