Talk:George S. Patton
Moved because the full name+M.I. is more common.
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to George S. Patton.
It is the cold glitter of the attacker's eye not the point of the questing bayonet that breaks the line.(Moved to main page, suitably referenced).
- Hold'em by the nose and kick'em in the pants.
- It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing.
- I don't care what color you are, so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons-of-bitches!
- I am in the pay of the United States government. If I vote against the administration I am voting against my commander-in-chief. If I vote for the administration in office I am being bought.
- If a man has done his best, what else is there?
- If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
- I'm a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
- I'm not going to subsidize cowardice.
- I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.
- Just drive down that road until you get blown up.
- Instructions to reconnaissance troops
- Kill all the Germans you can, but do not kill them when they are up against a wall ready to surrender. Do your killing in the fields. We are to honor the Rules of Land Warfare at all times. If a German surrenders, he is to be treated with respect as a prisoner of war, the same treatment you would hope to get as a prisoner if you are unlucky enough to be captured by the enemy. Americans are not savages. Americans do not kick people in the face if they have been knocked down.
- March toward the sound of gunfire, an easily recognizable sound that they could usually find in front of them.
- May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I sure as hell won't.
- This is similar to a remark made by Elizabeth I of England.
- Patton never said that. That was said by Major General Joseph Hooker of the Union Army (American Civil War) just before General Robert E. Lee kicked the shit out of him at the Battle of Chancellorsville.
- Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.
- Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
- Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries pearl handled revolvers, these are ivory.
- Upon being asked by an American reporter where he got his "pearl" handled revolvers.
- Take calculated risks. This is quite different from being rash. My personal belief is that if you have a 50% chance, take it!
- There's only one proper way for a professional soldier to die: the last bullet of the last battle of the last war.
- You are always on parade.
- You are never beaten until you admit it.
- You need to overcome the tug of people against you as you reach for high goals.
- The M1 rifle is the finest battle implement ever devised.
Misattributed? George S. Patton's speech to the Third Army
Why this quote is listed as miattributed? "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton's_speech_to_the_Third_Army