Talk:Henry Steele Commager
- These require citations to adequate sources before being placed into the main article.
- Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress implacably requires change. Education is essential to change, for education creates both new wants and the ability to satisfy them.
- Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion.
- Henry S. Commager said that the US Constitution was the best chance for political freedom, calling it a "perfect blueprint."
- A free society cherishes nonconformity. It knows that from the non-conformist, from the eccentric, have come many of the great ideas of freedom. Free society must fertilize the soil in which non-conformity and dissent and individualism can grow."
- History is a jangle of accidents, blunders, surprises and absurdities, and so is our knowledge of it, but if we are to report it at all we must impose some order upon it.