- All paraphrases and expletives are so much in disuse that soon the only way of making love will be to say, 'Lie down.'
- Foolish writers and readers are created for each other.
- Happiness comes from... some curious adjustment to life.
- I believe the root of all happiness on this earth to lie in the realization of a spiritual life with a consciousness of something wider than materialism; in the capacity to live in a world that makes you unselfish because you are not overanxious about your own comic fallibilities; that gives you tranquility without complacency because you believe in something so much larger than yourself.
- In all science, error precedes the truth, and it is better it should go first than last.