The Ebert quote
The Ebert quote about pack rats is from Ebert's "Critical Eye" column in the Sept. 1998 issue of _Yahoo! Internet Life_, p. 66. Not sure what the format should be. -126.96.36.199 18:00, 1 February 2008 (UTC)
Unsourced, moved from article to talk page
- The internet, it will never catch on."
- George W. Bush 1986
- They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.
And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
- Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska)
- And one of the main reasons that people put up in commercials about online chat rooms and such. They are all, "r kidZ are B-ing sexuAlly OFFENDEd on-line on the net" when really they are just saying, "Our kids are stupid, and are no longer allowed to be social and talk to anyone ever again, because if they do, they will DIE". They give us internet-born kids too little credit.
- Adding radio-frequency identification and other sensors to everyday objects will create an Internet of Things, and lay the foundations of a new age of machine perception.
- Kevin Ashton, co-founder & executive director of MIT's Auto-ID Center
- Doing research on the Web is like using a library assembled piecemeal by pack rats and vandalized nightly.
- The internet is the trailer park for the soul.
- We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
- Robert Wilensky
- When they say, "Gee, it's an information explosion!"—no, it's not an explosion, it's a disgorgement of the bowels is what it is. Every idiotic thing that anybody could possibly write or say or think can get into the body politic now—where before things would have to have some merit to go through the publishing routine, now, anything. And all you're getting is an explosion of useless crap, which added to the other useless crap that was being done originally, only makes it that much worse.
- Why do people keep insisting that I join the twenty-first century? I live in the twenty-first century! I just don't want to be bothered by the shitheads on the internet!
- If addiction is judged by how long a dumb animal will sit pressing a lever to get a "fix" of something, to its own detriment, then I would conclude that netnews is far more addictive than cocaine.
- Robert Stampfli
- The Internet is Serious business.
- General [M]ayhem catchphrase
- We make the internet not suck.
- The web is a network of computers connected by people who can't write sharing content created by people who can't compute for people who can't connect.