- I did not begin when I was born, nor when I was conceived. I have been growing, developing, through incalculable myriads of millenniums. All my previous selves have their voices, echoes, promptings in me. Oh, incalculable times again shall I be born.
- A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
- I have always stood for the exalting of the life that is in me over art, or any other extraneous thing.
- The man who dreams of artistry, and yet thinks it is necessary for someone else to lick him into shape, is a man whose art is doomed to mediocrity. If you're going to deliver the real goods, you've got to do your own licking into shape. Buck up ! Kick in ! Get onto yourself ! Don't squeal ! Don't tell me, or any other man how good you consider anything you've done, and that you think it is as good as somebody else's. Make your work so damned well better that you won't have time or thought to compare it with another man's mediocrity.
- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
- "The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time. "