Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A timid person is frightened before a danger, a coward during the time, and a courageous person afterward.
- Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good; try to use ordinary situations.
- Flowers never emit so sweet and strong a fragrance as before a storm. When a storm approaches thee, be as fragrant as a sweet-smelling flower.
- Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in life.
- Only actions give life strength; only moderation gives it a charm.
- In later life, as in earlier, only a few persons influence the formation of our character; the multitude pass us by like a distant army. One friend, one teacher, one beloved, one club, one dining table, one work table are the means by which one's nation and the spirit of one's nation affect the individual.
- The German language is the organ among the languages. (Die deutsche Sprache ist die Orgel unter den Sprachen.)
- Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time.