I almost feel pity for this man. And please, no flaming - because feeling pity for this man, doesn't take away the gravity of the crime or the minimize the suffering of his victims —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 18:22, 1 August 2007 (UTC)
- No flame, but please realize that Wikiquote article talk pages are for discussing and selecting the content of the article, not expressing opinions about the subject. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 18:37, 1 August 2007 (UTC)
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Jeffrey Dahmer.
- After the fear and terror of what I'd done [the murder of Steven Tuomi] had left, which took about a month or two, I started it all over again. From then on it was a craving, a hunger, I don't know how to describe it, a compulsion, and I just kept doing it, doing it and doing it, whenever the opportunity presented itself.
- I bite...
- Dahmer's words to a prison guard
- I couldn’t find any meaning in my life when I was out there. I'm sure as hell not going to find it in here [in prison]. This is the grand finale of a life poorly spent and the end result is just overwhelmingly depressing… it's just a sick, pathetic, wretched, miserable life story, that's all it is. How it can help anyone, I've no idea.
- I decided I wasn't ever going to get married because I never wanted to go through anything like that.
- On his parents' marriage.
- I didn't want to keep killing people and have nothing left except the skull… This is going to sound bad, but… should I say it?… I took the drill while he was asleep…
- I don't know why it started. I don't have any definite answers on that myself. If I knew the true, real reasons why all this started, before it ever did , I wouldn't probably have done any of it.
- I really screwed up this time.
- To his father after his arrest
- I should have gone to college and gone into real estate and got myself an aquarium, that's what I should have done.
- It's hard for me to believe that a human being could have done what I've done, but I know that I did it.
- It's just a nightmare, let's put it that way. It's been a nightmare for a long time, even before I was caught… for years now, obviously my mind has been filled with gruesome, horrible thoughts and ideas… a nightmare.
- It was nice, with African cichlids and tiger barbs in it and live plants, it was a beautifully kept fish tank, very clean. I used to like to just sit there and watch them swim around, basically. I used to enjoy the planning and the set-up, the filtration, read about how to keep the nitrate and ammonia down to safe levels and just the whole spectrum of fish-keeping interested me. I once saw some puffer fish in the store. It's a round fish, and the only ones I ever saw with both eyes in front, like a person's eyes, and they would come right up to the front of the glass and their eyes would be crystal blue, like a person's, real cute. It's a fun hobby. I really enjoyed that fish tank. It's something I really miss.
- Like arrows, shooting through my mind from out of the blue.
- About his fantasies
- One thing I know for sure. It was a definite compulsion because I couldn't quit. I tried, but after the Ambassador, I couldn't quit. It would be nice if someone could give the answer on a silver platter as to why I did all this and what caused it, because I can't come up with an answer.
- Yes, I do have remorse, but I'm not even sure myself whether it is as profound as it should be. I've always wondered myself why I don't feel more remorse.
- I don't care if I live or die. Go ahead and kill me.
- Dahmer's last words
- I should have stayed with God. I tried and I failed, and created a holocaust.