This is some nonsense article... sounds like some Islam hater did this article. It needs to be backed up with some exhortations.
I agree. It was probably not written by a Islam hater, though it highly seems reasonable. this is written in the Qu'ran, but there so much more to it then what is 'written'. For instance, when they say to kill the disbeliever where ever you may find him, they sura is referring to the time of war.
I have looked up many of these references in the Quran. It isn't bull. Don't believe me? Look it up yourself.
It was bull!
Yes, it was BULL. I‘ve looked up at the sources and found that many of the quotes here has been distorted or taken only partly. There are also some quote that mentioned twice. And many more quotes that are irrelevant. I feel sick just to see it.
Now I've done a major edit on this article. maybe it's shorter, but much more accurate
source changed by some short minded guys
Full meaning is changed by 22.214.171.124, source given him is wrong. I request you to review the content.
Jihad ( Arabic: جهاد ), is an Arabic word derived from ‘Jahada’, which means to strive(effort) or to struggle. For example. if a student strives to pass in the examination he is doing jihad. Jihad appears frequently in the Qur’an and common usage as the idiomatic expression “striving in the way of Allah (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)”. In the Islamic context, ‘Jihad’ means to strive against one’s own evil inclination. It also means to strive to make the society better. It also includes the right to fight in self-defence or to fight in the battlefield against oppression and against aggression.
In western societies the term jihad is often translated as “holy war”. One of the greatest misconceptions about Islam, not only amongst the non-Muslims but even amongst the Muslims, is that concerning the concept of Jihad. Non-Muslims as well as Muslims think that any war fought by any Muslim for whatever purpose, be it good or bad, is Jihad.
Usage of the term
In Modern Standard Arabic, jihad is one of the correct terms for a struggle for any cause, violent or not, religious or secular. For instance, Mahatma Gandhi’s satyagraha struggle for Indian independence is called a “jihad” in Modern is also applied to the fight for women’s liberation.
- A commitment to hard work” and “achieving one’s goals in life”
- Struggling to achieve a noble cause”
- Promoting peace, harmony or cooperation, and assisting others”
- Jihad against his or her wrong soul.
This, this and this are about Islam and war, the word Jihad is associated with that but is not exclusively about it as their Wikipedia article points out. Quotes about war that doesn't mention the concept of Jihad should be in their own article. Rupert Loup 03:16, 9 October 2019 (UTC)
- The TP Hughes quotes are from the entry Jihad in his Islam dictionary IIRC, and if quotes are about the topic, they don't have to mention the topic name IMHO. But it may be better to move them to Islam and war as you said. --ΞΔΞ (talk) 06:24, 9 October 2019 (UTC)
Over the years, hundreds of quotes were deleted from this article by different editors. Some of the deletions were probably justified, but others should be reviewed or discussed. Putting them here for review:
1. Bukhari:V4B52N50 "The Prophet said, 'A single endeavor of fighting in Allah's Cause is better than the world and whatever is in it.'"
2. Ishaq:587 "Our onslaught will not be a weak faltering affair. We shall Fight as long as we live. We will Fight until you turn to Islam, humbly seeking refuge. We will Fight not caring whom we meet. We will Fight whether we destroy ancient holdings or newly gotten gains. We have mutilated every opponent. We have driven them violently before us at the command of Allah and Islam. We will Fight until our religion is established. And we will plunder them, for they must suffer disgrace."
3. Qur'an 9:88 "The Messenger and those who believe with him, strive hard and Fight with their wealth and lives in Allah's Cause."
4. Qur'an 9:5 "Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."
5. Qur'an 9:111 "The Believers Fight in Allah's Cause, they slay and are slain, kill and are killed."
6. Qur'an8:39 "Fight them until all opposition ends and all submit to Allah."
7. Ishaq:324 "Fight them so that there is no more rebellion, and religion, all of it, is for Allah only. Allah must not have rivals."
8. Qur'an 9:14 "Fight them and Allah will punish them by your hands, lay them low, and cover them with shame. He will help you over them."
9. Ishaq:300 "I am fighting in Allah's service. This is piety and a good deed. In Allah's war I do not fear as others should. For this fighting is righteous, true, and good."
10. Qur'an 9:29 "Fight those who do not believe until they all surrender, paying the protective tax in submission."
11. Ishaq:325 "Muslims, Fight in Allah's Cause. Stand firm and you will prosper."
12. Qur'an 8:65 "O Prophet, urge the faithful to fight. If there are twenty among you with determination they will vanquish two hundred; if there are a hundred then they will slaughter a thousand unbelievers, for the infidels are a people devoid of understanding."
13. Bukhari:V4B52N63"A man whose face was covered with an iron mask came to the Prophet and said, 'Allah's Apostle! Shall I Fight or embrace Islam first?' The Prophet said, 'Embrace Islam first and then fight.' So he embraced Islam, and was martyred. Allah's Apostle said, 'A Little work, but a great reward.'"
14. Bukhari:V4B53N386"Our Prophet ordered us to Fight you till you worship Allah alone or pay us the Jizyah tribute tax in submission. Our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says: 'Whoever amongst us is killed as a martyr shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever survives shall become your master.'"
15. Qur'an 2:193 "Fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief) and religion is only for Allah. But if they cease/desist, let there be no hostility except against infidel disbelievers."
16. Qur'an 2:217 "They question you concerning fighting in the sacred month. Say: 'fighting therein is a grave (matter); but to prevent access to Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, to expel its members, and polytheism are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they make you renegades from your religion. If any of you turn back and die in unbelief, your works will be lost and you will go to Hell. Surely those who believe and leave their homes to Fight in Allah's Cause have the hope of Allah's mercy."
17. Qur'an 2:244 "Fight in Allah's Cause, and know that Allah hears and knows all."
18. Qur'an 2:246 "He said: 'Would you refrain from fighting if fighting were prescribed for you?' They said: 'How could we refuse to Fight in Allah's Cause?'" Qur'an 9:38 "Believers, what is the matter with you, that when you are asked to go forth and Fight in Allah's Cause you cling to the earth? Do you prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? Unless you go forth, He will afflict and punish you with a painful doom and put others in your place."
19. Qur'an 9:123 "Fight the unbelievers around you, and let them find harshness in you."
20. Qur'an 8:72 "Those who accepted Islam and left their homes to Fight in Allah's Cause with their possessions and persons, and those who gave (them) asylum, aid, and shelter, those who harbored them-these are allies of one another. You are not responsible for protecting those who embraced Islam but did not leave their homes to Fight until they do so."
21. Muslim:C9B1N31 "I have been commanded to Fight against people till they testify to the fact that there is no god but Allah, and believe in me (that) I am the Messenger and in all that I have brought."
22. Bukhari:V9B84N59"Whoever says this will save his property and life from me.'"
23. Qur'an 8:73 "The unbelieving infidels are allies. Unless you (Muslims) aid each other (fighting as one united block to make Allah's religion victorious), there will be confusion and mischief. Those who accepted Islam, left their homes to Fight in Allah's Cause (al-Jihad), as well as vi those who give them asylum, shelter, and aid-these are (all) Believers: for them is pardon and bountiful provision (in Paradise)."
24. Tabari IX:69 "Arabs are the most noble people in lineage, the most prominent, and the best in deeds. We were the first to respond to the call of the Prophet. We are Allah's helpers and the viziers of His Messenger. We Fight people until they believe in Allah. He who believes in Allah and His Messenger has protected his life and possessions from us. As for one who disbelieves, we will Fight him forever in the Cause of Allah. killing him is a small matter to us."
25. Qur'an 48:16 "Say (Muhammad) to the wandering desert Arabs who lagged behind: 'You shall be invited to Fight against a people given to war with mighty prowess. You shall Fight them until they surrender and submit. If you obey, Allah will grant you a reward, but if you turn back, as you did before, He will punish you with a grievous torture."
26. Qur'an 48:22 "If the unbelieving infidels Fight against you, they will retreat. (Such has been) the practice (approved) of Allah in the past: no change will you find in the ways of Allah."
27. Qur'an 47:4 "When you clash with the unbelieving Infidels in battle (fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause), smite their necks until you overpower them, killing and wounding many of them. At length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind them firmly, making (them) captives. Thereafter either generosity or ransom (them based upon what benefits Islam) until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are you commanded by Allah to continue carrying out Jihad against the unbelieving infidels until they submit to Islam."
28. Qur'an 47:31 "And We shall try you until We know those among you who are the fighters ."
29. Tabari VI:138 "Those present at the oath of Aqabah had sworn an allegiance to Muhammad. It was a pledge of war against all men. Allah had permitted fighting."
30. Tabari VI:139 "Allah had given his Messenger permission to Fight by revealing the verse 'And Fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah.'"
31. [Qur'an 8:39] Qur'an 9:19 "Do you make the giving of drink to pilgrims, or the maintenance of the Mosque, equal to those who Fight in the Cause of Allah? They are not comparable in the sight of Allah. Those who believe, and left their homes, striving with might, fighting in Allah's Cause with their goods and their lives, have the highest rank in the sight of Allah."
32. Ishaq:550 "The Muslims met them with their swords. They cut through many arms and skulls. Only confused cries and groans could be heard over our battle roars and snarling."
33. Qur'an 5:94 "Believers, Allah will make a test for you in the form of a little game in which you reach out for your lances. Any who fails this test will have a grievous punishment."
34. Ishaq:578 "Crushing the heads of the infidels and splitting their skulls with sharp swords, we continually thrust and cut at the enemy. blood gushed from their deep wounds as the battle wore them down. We conquered bearing the Prophet's fluttering war banner. Our cavalry was submerged in rising dust, and our spears quivered, but by us the Prophet gained victory."
35. Tabari IX:22 "The Prophet continued to besiege the town, fighting them bitterly."
36. Tabari IX:25 "By Allah, I did not come to Fight for nothing. I wanted a victory over Ta'if so that I might obtain a slave girl from them and make her pregnant."
37. TAbariIX:82 "The Messenger sent Khalid with an army of 400 to Harith and ordered him to invite them to Islam for three days before he fought them. If they were to respond and submit, he was to teach them the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of His Prophet, and the requirements of vii Islam. If they should decline, then he was to Fight them."
38. Tabari IX:88 "Abdallah Azdi came to the Messenger, embraced Islam, and became a good Muslim. Allah's Apostle invested Azdi with the authority over those who had surrendered and ordered him to Fight the infidels from the tribes of Yemen. Azdi left with an army by the Messenger's command. The Muslims besieged them for a month. Then they withdrew, setting a trap. When the Yemenites went in pursuit, Azdi was able to inflict a heavy loss on them."
39. Ishaq:530 "Get out of his way, you infidel unbelievers. Every good thing goes with the Apostle. I believe in his word. We will Fight you about its interpretations as we have fought you about its revelation with strokes that will remove heads and make enemies of friends."
40. Muslim:C34B20N4668 "The Messenger said: 'Anybody who equips a warrior going to Fight in the Way of Allah is like one who actually fights ."
41. Muslim:C9B1N29 "Command For fighting: When the Messenger breathed his last and Bakr was appointed Caliph, many Arabs chose to become apostates [rejected Islam]. Abu Bakr said: 'I will definitely Fight against anyone who stops paying the Zakat tax, for it is an obligation. I will Fight against them even to secure that which they used to pay if they withhold it now.' Allah had justified fighting against those who refused to pay Zakat."
42. Muslim:C9B1N33"The Prophet said: 'I have been commanded to Fight against people till they testify there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and they establish prostration prayer, and pay Zakat. If they do it, their blood and property are protected.'"
43. Muslim:C10B1N176"Muhammad sent us to raid Huraqat. I caught hold of a man and he said: 'There is no god but Allah,' but I attacked him with a spear anyway.'"
44. Muslim:C20B1N4597"The Prophet said at the conquest of Mecca: 'There is no migration now, but only Jihad, fighting for the Cause of Islam. When you are asked to set out on a Jihad expedition, you should readily do so.'"
45. Muslim:C28B20N4628 "Allah has undertaken to provide for one who leaves his home to fight; Allah will either admit him to Paradise or will bring him back home with his reward and booty."
46. Muslim:C28B20N4629 "The Messenger said: 'One who is wounded in the Way of Allah will appear on the Day of Judgment with his wound still bleeding. The color (of discharge) will be blood, (but) its smell will be musk.'"
47. Muslim: C34B20N4652-3 "The Merit Of Jihad And Of Keeping Vigilance Over The Enemy: A man came to the Holy Prophet and said: 'Who is the best of men?' He replied: 'A man who fights staking his life and spending his wealth in Allah's Cause.'"
48. Muslim:C42B20N4684 "A desert Arab came to the Prophet and said: 'Messenger, one man fights for the spoils of war; another fights that he may be remembered, and one fights that he may see his (high) position (achieved as a result of his valor in fighting). Which of these is fighting in the Cause of Allah?' The Messenger of Allah said: 'Who fights so that the word of Allah is exalted is fighting in the Way of Allah.'"
49. Muslim:C53B20N4717"The Prophet said: 'This religion will continue to exist, and a group of people from the Muslims will continue to Fight for its protection until the Hour is established.'"
50. Bukhari: V5B59N288 "I witnessed a scene that was dearer to me than anything I had ever seen. Aswad came to the Prophet while Muhammad was urging the Muslims to Fight the pagans. He said, 'We shall Fight on your right and on your left and in front of you and behind you.' I saw the face of the Prophet getting bright with happiness, for that saying delighted him."
51. Bukhari:V5B59N290"The believers who did not join the Ghazwa [Islamic raid or invasion] and those who fought are not equal in reward."
52. Ishaq:280 "The Apostle prepared for war in pursuance of Allah's command to Fight his enemies and to Fight the infidels who Allah commanded him to fight."
53. Qur'an 61:2 "O Muslims, why say one thing and do another? Grievously odious and hateful is it in the sight of Allah that you say that which you do not. Truly Allah loves those who Fight in His Cause in a battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure."
54. Bukhari:V4B52N61"Allah's Apostle! We were absent from the first battle you fought against the pagans. If Allah gives us a chance to do battle, no doubt, He will see how bravely we fight."
55. Ishaq:398 "Ask them for their help, making the religion of Islam agreeable to them. When you are resolved in the matter of religion concerning fighting you will have the advantage."
56. Qur'an 3:146 "How many prophets fought in Allah's Cause? With them (fought) myriads of godly men who were slain. They never lost heart if they met with disaster in Allah's Cause, nor did they weaken nor give in. Allah loves those who are firm and steadfast [warriors]."
57. Ishaq:393 "They did not show weakness to their enemies and were not humiliated when they suffered in the Fight for Allah and their religion. That is steadfastness. Allah loves the steadfast."
58. Qur'an 3:153 "Behold! You ran off precipitately, climbing up the high hill without even casting a side glance at anyone, while the Messenger in your rear is calling you from your rear, urging you to fight."
59. Qur'an 3:154 "Say: 'Even if you had remained in your houses, those ordained to be slaughtered would have gone forth to the places where they were to slain."
60. Ishaq:440 "Helped by the Holy Spirit we smited Muhammad's foes. The Apostle sent a message to them with a sharp cutting sword."
61. Ishaq:470 "We attacked them fully armed, swords in hand, cutting through heads and skulls."
62. Qur'an 61:4 "Surely Allah loves those who Fight in His Cause."
63. Qur'an61:11 "Come to believe in Allah and His Apostle and struggle in the Cause of Allah with your wealth and person. This will be good for you…. Allah will give you an early victory."
64. Qur'an 8:5 "Your Lord ordered you out of your homes to Fight for the true cause, even though some Muslims disliked it, and were averse (to fighting)."
65. Qur'an 24:53 "They swear their strongest oaths saying that if only you would command them. They would leave their homes (and go forth fighting in Allah's Cause). Say: 'Swear not; Obedience is (more) reasonable.'"
66. Qur'an 4:74 "Let those who Fight in Allah's Cause sell this world's life for the hereafter. To him who fights in Allah's Cause, whether he is slain or victorious, We shall give him a reward."
67. Qur'an 4:75 "What reason have you that you should not Fight in Allah's Cause?" "What is wrong with you that you do not Fight for Allah?"
68. Qur'an 4:76 "Those who believe Fight in the Cause of Allah."
69. Qur'an 4:77 "Have you not seen those to whom it was said: Withhold from fighting, perform the prayer and pay the zakat. But when orders for fighting were issued, a party of them feared men as they ought to have feared Allah. They say: 'Our Lord, why have You ordained fighting for us, why have You made war compulsory?'"
70. Qur'an 4:78 "Wherever you are, death ix will find you, even if you are in towers strong and high! So what is wrong with these people, that they fail to understand these simple words?"
71. Qur'an 4:84 "Then Fight (Muhammad) in Allah's Cause. Incite the believers to Fight with you."
72. Qur'an 4:94 "Believers, when you go abroad to Fight wars in Allah's Cause, investigate carefully."
73. Qur'an 4:95 "Not equal are believers who sit home and receive no hurt and those who Fight in Allah's Cause with their wealth and lives. Allah has granted a grade higher to those who Fight with their possessions and bodies to those who sit home. Those who Fight He has distinguished with a special reward."
74. Qur'an 4:101 "In truth the disbelievers are your enemy."
75. Qur'an 4:104 "Do not relent in pursuing the enemy."
76. Bukhari:V4B52N220"Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been made victorious with terror.'"
77. Qur'an 8:12 "I shall terrorize the infidels. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose Allah and His Apostle."
78. Qur'an 8:57 "If you gain mastery over them in battle, inflict such a defeat as would terrorize them, so that they would learn a lesson and be warned."
79. Ishaq:326 "If you come upon them, deal so forcibly as to terrify those who would follow, that they may be warned. Make a severe example of them by terrorizing Allah's enemies."
80. Qur'an 8:67 "It is not fitting for any prophet to have prisoners until he has made a great slaughter in the land."
81. Ishaq:588 "When the Apostle descends on your land none of your people will be left when he leaves."
82. Tabari IX:42 "We have been dealt a situation from which there is no escape. You have seen what Muhammad has done. Arabs have submitted to him and we do not have the strength to fight. You know that no herd is safe from him. And no one even dares go outside for fear of being terrorized."
83. Ishaq:326 "Allah said, 'No Prophet before Muhammad took booty from his enemy nor prisoners for ransom.' Muhammad said, 'I was made victorious with terror. The earth was made a place for me to clean.'"
84. Ishaq:327 "Allah said, 'A prophet must slaughter before collecting captives. A slaughtered enemy is driven from the land. Muhammad, you craved the desires of this world, its goods and the ransom captives would bring. But Allah desires killing them to manifest the religion.'"
85. Qur'an 7:3 "Little do you remember My warning. How many towns have We destroyed as a raid by night? Our punishment took them suddenly while they slept for their afternoon rest. Our terror came to them; Our punishment overtook them."
86. Ishaq:510 "When the Apostle looked down on Khaybar he told his Companions, 'O Allah, Lord of the Devils and what into error they throw, and Lord of the winds and what they winnow, we ask Thee for the booty of this town and its people. Forward in the name of Allah.' He used to say this of every town he raided."
87. x Bukhari:V5B59N512"The Prophet offered the Fajr Prayer [Prayer of Fear] near Khaybar when it was still dark. He said, 'Allahu-Akbar!' [Allah is Greatest] Khaybar is destroyed, for whenever we approach a hostile nation to fight, then evil will be the morning for those who have been warned.' Then the inhabitants came out running on their roads. The Prophet had their men killed; their children and woman were taken as captives."
88. Bukhari:V9B87N127"The Prophet said, 'I have been given the keys of eloquent speech and given victory with terror.'"
89. Ishaq:517 "Khaybar was stormed by the Apostle's squadron, fully armed, powerful and strong. It brought certain humiliation with Muslim men in its midst. We attacked and they met their doom. Muhammad conquered the Jews in fighting that day as they opened their eyes to our dust."
90. Tabari VIII:116/Ishaq:511 "So Muhammad began seizing their herds and their property bit by bit. He conquered home by home."
91. Bukhari:V5B59N512"The Prophet had their men killed, their children and woman taken captive."
92. Tabari VIII:129 "After the Messenger had finished with the Khaybar Jews, Allah cast terror into the hearts of the Jews in Fadak."
93. Tabari VIII:138 "Muhammad carried arms, helmets, and spears. He led a hundred horses, appointing Bahir to be in charge of the weapons and Maslamah to be in charge of the horses. When the Quraysh received word of this, it frightened them."
94. Qur'an 33:26 "Allah made the Jews leave their homes by terrorizing them so that you killed some and made many captive. And He made you inherit their lands, their homes, and their wealth. He gave you a country you had not traversed before."
95. Qur'an59:2 "It was Allah who drove the [Jewish] People of the Book from their homes and into exile. They refused to believe and imagined that their strongholds would protect them against Allah. But Allah came at them from where they did not suspect, and filled their hearts with terror. Their homes were destroyed. So learn a lesson, O men who have eyes. This is My warning…they shall taste the torment of fire."
96. Qur'an 33:60 "If the Hypocrites stir up sedition, if the agitators in the City do not desist, We shall urge you to go against them and set you over them. Then they will not be able to stay as your neighbors. They shall have a curse on them. Whenever they are found, they shall be seized and slain without mercy-a fierce slaughter-murdered, a horrible murdering."
97. Bukhari:V4B52N256 "The Prophet passed by and was asked whether it was permissible to attack infidels at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The Prophet replied, 'Their women and children are from them.'"
98. Ishaq:576 "Allah and His servant overwhelmed every coward. Allah honored us and made our religion victorious. We were glorified and destroyed them all. Allah humiliated them in the worship of Satan. By what our Apostle recites from the Book and by our swift horses, I liked the punishment the infidels received. killing them was sweeter than drink. We galloped among them panting for the spoil. With our loud-voiced army, the Apostle's squadron advanced into the fray."
99. Ishaq:580 "Our strong warriors obey his orders to the letter. By us Allah's religion is undeni ably strong. You would think when our horses gallop with bits in their mouths that the xi sounds of demons are among them. The day we trod down the unbelievers there was no deviation or turning from the Apostle's order. During the battle the people heard our exhortations to Fight and the smashing of skulls by swords that sent heads flying. We severed necks with a warrior's blow. Often we have left the slain cut to pieces and a widow crying alas over her mutilated husband. 'Tis Allah, not man we seek to please."
100. Tabari IX:69 "He who believes in Allah and His Messenger has protected his life and posses sions from us. As for those who disbelieve, we will Fight them forever in the Cause of Allah. killing them is a small matter to us."
101. Bukhari:V5B59N516 "When Allah's Apostle fought or raided people we raised our voices saying, 'Allahu-Akbar! Allahu-Akbar! None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.'"
102. Ishaq:281 "The raid on Waddan was the first Maghazi [invasion]. The Expedition of Harith was second. They encountered a large number of Quraysh in the Hijaz. Abu Bakr composed a poem about the raid: 'When we called them to the truth they turned their backs and howled like bitches. Allah's punishment on them will not tarry. I swear by the Lord of Camels [Allah?] that I am no perjurer. A valiant band will descend upon the Quraysh which will leave women husbandless. It will leave men dead, with vultures wheeling round. It will not spare the infidels.'"
103. Tabari VII:11 "In this year the Messenger entrusted to Sa'd a white war banner for the expedition to Kharrar. Sa'd said, 'I set out on foot at the head of twenty men. We used to lie hidden by day and march at night."
104. Bukhari:V5B59N569 "I fought in seven Ghazwat battles along with the Prophet and fought in nine Maghazi raids in armies dispatched by the Prophet."
105. Bukhari:V5B59N401"Allah's wrath became severe on anyone the Prophet killed in Allah's Cause."
106. Bukhari:V5B59N456 "Muhammad led the Fear Prayer [Allahu Akbar!] with one batch of his army while the other (batch) faced the enemy."
107. Bukhari:V5B59N440"Allah's Apostle used to say, 'None has the right to be worshipped except Allah Alone because He honored His Warriors and made His Messenger victorious. He defeated the clans; so there is nothing left.'"
108. Ishaq:287 "The Muslim raiders consulted one another concerning them. One of the Muslims said, 'By Allah, if we leave these people alone, they will get safely out of our reach.'"
109. Tabari VII:19 "They hesitated and were afraid to advance, but then they plucked up courage and agreed to kill as many as they could and to seize what they had with them. Waqid shot an arrow at Amr and killed him. Uthman and al-Hakam surrendered. Then Waqid and his companions took the caravan and the captives back to Allah's Apostle in Medina. This was the first booty taken by the Companions of Muhammad."
110. Tabari VII:20/Ishaq:288"The Quraysh said, 'Muhammad and his Companions have violated the sacred month, shed blood, seized property, and taken men captive.' The polytheists spread lying slander concerning him, saying, 'Muhammad claims that he is following obedience to Allah, yet he is the first to violate the holy month and to kill our people.'"
111. Ishaq:288 "When the Qur'an passage concerning this matter was revealed, and Allah relieved Muslims from their anxiety, Muhammad took possession of the caravan and prisoners. The xii terrorISM Quraysh sent him a ransom and the Prophet released the prisoners on payment.
112. Tabari VII:29/Ishaq:289 "The Apostle heard that Abu Sufyan [a Meccan merchant] was coming from Syria with a large caravan containing their money and their merchandise. He was accompanied by only thirty men."
113. Ishaq:289 "Muhammad summoned the Muslims and said, 'This is the Quraysh caravan containing their property. Go out and attack it. Perhaps Allah will give it to us as prey."
114. Tabari VII:29 "Abu Sufyan and the horsemen of the Quraysh were returning from Syria following the coastal road. When Allah's Apostle heard about them he called his companions together and told them of the wealth they had with them and the fewness of their numbers. The Muslims set out with no other object than Sufyan and the men with him. They did not think that this raid would be anything other than easy booty."
115. Bukhari:V5B59N702 "Allah did not admonish anyone who had not participated in the Ghazwa [raid] of Badr, for in fact, Allah's Apostle had only gone out in search of the Quraysh caravan so that he could rob it. But Allah arranged for the Muslims and their enemy to meet by surprise.'"
116. Tabari VII:29 "They did not suppose that there would be a great battle. Concerning this Allah revealed a Qur'an: Qur'an 8:7 'Behold! Allah promised you that one of the two parties would be yours. You wished for the unarmed one, but Allah willed to justify His truth according to His words and to cut off the roots of the unbelievers.'"
117. Ishaq:290 "Some Meccans got up to circumambulate the Ka'aba…. Sitting around the mosque, they wondered why they had allowed this evil rascal to attack their men."
118. Ishaq:294 "The Apostle was afraid the Ansar would not feel obliged to help him Fight without the enemy being the aggressor and attacking in Medina. Sa'd said, 'We hear and obey. We are experienced in war, trustworthy in combat. Allah will let us show you something that will bring you joy. The Apostle was delighted at Sa'd's words which greatly encouraged him. Muhammad shouted, 'It is as if I see the enemy lying prostrate.'"
119. Bukhari:V5B59N330/Ishaq:300"Here is Gabriel holding the rein of a horse and leading the charge. He is equipped with his weapons and ready for the battle. There is dust upon his front teeth."
120. Bukhari:V5B59N327"Gabriel came to the Prophet and said, 'How do you view the war riors of Badr?' The Prophet said, 'I see the fighters as the best Muslims.' On that, Gabriel said, 'And so are the Angels who are participating in the Badr battle.'"
121. Tabari VII:55 "Allah's Messenger went out to his men and incited them to fight. He promised, 'Every man may keep all the booty he takes.' Then Muhammad said, 'By Allah, if any man fights today and is killed fighting aggressively, going forward and not retreating, Allah will cause him to enter Paradise.' Umayr said, 'Fine, fine. This is excellent! Nothing stands between me and my entering Paradise except to be killed by these people!' He threw down the dates, seized his sword, and fought until he was slain."
122. Tabari VII:56 "'Messenger of Allah, what makes the Lord laugh with joy at his servant?' He replied, 'When he plunges his hand into the midst of an enemy without armor.' So Auf took off the coat of mail he was wearing and threw it away. Then he took his sword and fought."
123. Ishaq:301 "Muhammad picked up a handful of pebbles and faced the Quraysh. He shouted, 'May their faces be deformed!' He threw the pebbles at them and ordered his companions xiii to attack. The foe was routed. Allah killed Quraysh chiefs and caused many of their nobles to be taken captive. While the Muslims were taking prisoners, the Messenger was in his hut."
124. Bukhari:V5B59N290 "The Prophet said, 'The believers who failed to join the Ghazwa of Badr and those who took part in it are not equal in reward."
125. Bukhari:V5B59N333 "Az-Zubair said, 'I attacked him with my spear and pierced his eye. I put my foot over his body to pull the weapon out, but even then I had to use great force. Later on Allah's Apostle asked me for that spear and I gave it to him.'"
126. Ishaq:301 "As the Muslims were laying their hands on as many prisoners as they could catch, the Prophet, saw disapproval in the face of Sa'd. He said, 'Why are you upset by the taking of captives?' Sa'd replied, 'This was the first defeat inflicted by Allah on the infidels. slaughtering the prisoners would have been more pleasing to me than sparing them.'"
127. Tabari VII:59 "At Badr I passed Umayyah as he was standing with his son Ali, holding his hand. I had with me some coats of mail which I had taken as plunder. Umayyah said, 'Abd al-Ilah, would you like to take me as a prisoner? I will be more valuable to you as a captive to be ransomed than the coats of mail that you are carrying.' I said, 'Yes. Come here then.' I flung away the armor and bound Umayyah and his son Ali, taking them with me. Muslims encircled us. Then they restrained us physically. One of the Muslims drew his sword and struck Ali in the leg, severing it so that he fell down. Umayyah gave a scream the like of which I have never heard. I said, 'Save yourself, for there is no escape for your son. By Allah, I cannot save him from these men.' Then the Muslims hacked Ali to pieces.'"
128. Bukhari:V5B59N297"The Prophet faced the Ka'aba and invoked evil on the Quraysh people."
129. Bukhari: V5B59N397 "Allah's Apostle raised his head after bowing the first Rak'a prayer. He said, 'O Allah! Curse so-and-so and so-and-so.' After he had invoked evil upon them, Allah revealed: 'Your Lord will send thousands of angels riding upon chargers sweeping down as a form of good tidings to reassure you that victory comes from Him. He will cut off parts of the unbelievers, overthrow them, and turn them back in frustration.'"
130. [3:124] Ishaq:303 "A cousin and I mounted a hill from which we could overlook Badr and see who would be defeated, so that we could join in the plundering afterwards. I was pursuing one of the Meccan polytheists in order to smite him, when his head suddenly fell off before my sword touched him. Then I knew that someone other than I had killed him."
131. Ishaq:304/TabariVII:62 "I cut off Abu Jahl's head and brought it to the Messenger. 'O Allah's Prophet, this is the head of the enemy of Allah.' Muhammad said, 'Praise be to Allah.'"
132. Ishaq:305 "Ukkasha fought until he broke his sword. He came to the Apostle who gave him a wooden cudgel telling him to Fight with that. He brandished it and it became a brilliant weapon. Allah gave him victory while he wielded it. He took that weapon with him to every raid he fought with Allah's Apostle until he was killed in the rebellion. These were his dying words: 'What do you think about when you kill people? Are these not men just because they are not Muslims?'"
133. Ishaq:315 "It was so criminal, men could hardly imagine it. Muhammad was ennobled because of the bloody fighting. I swear we shall never lack soldiers, nor army leaders. Driving before us infidels until we subdue them with a halter above their noses and a branding iron. We xiv terrorISM will drive them to the ends of the earth. We will pursue them on horse and on foot. We will never deviate from fighting in our cause. We will bring upon the infidels the fate of the Ad and Jurhum. Any people that disobey Muhammad will pay for it. If you do not surrender to Islam, then you will live to regret it. You will be shamed in Hell, forced to wear a garment of molten pitch forever!" Ishaq:310 "A Meccan said, 'As soon as we were confronted by the raiding party, we turned our backs and they started killing and capturing us at their pleasure. Some of our men turned tail humiliated. Allah smote some of us with pustules from which we died.'"
134. Ishaq:311 "When the Quraysh began to bewail their dead, consumed in sorrow, one said, 'Do not do this for Muhammad and his companions will rejoice over our misfortune.'"
135. Ishaq:340 "Surely Badr was one of the world's great wonders. The roads to death are plain to see. Disobedience causes a people to perish. They became death's pawns. We had sought their caravan, nothing else. But they came to us and there was no way out. So we thrust our shafts and swung our swords severing their heads. Our swords glittered as they killed.'On that day a thousand spirits were mustered on excited white stallions. Allah's army fought with us. Under our banner, Gabriel attacked and killed them."
136. Ishaq:341 "Allah favored His Apostle and humiliated the unbelievers. They were put to shame in captivity and death. The Apostle's victory was glorious. Its message is plain for all to see. The Lord brought repeated calamities upon the pagans, bringing them under the Apostle's power. Allah's angry army smote them with their trusty swords. Many a lusty youngster left the enemy lying prone. Their women wept with burning throats for the dead were lying everywhere. But now they are all in Hell."
137. Ishaq:342 "I wonder at foolish men like these who sing frivolously and vainly of the slain at Badr. This was nothing more than an impious and odious crime. Men fought against their brothers, fathers, and sons. Any with discernment and understanding recognize the wrong that was done here."
138. Ishaq:344 "I wonder at Allah's deed. None can defeat Him. Evil ever leads to death. We unsheathed our swords and testified to the unity of Allah, and we proved that His Apostle brought truth. We smote them and they scattered. The impious met death. They became fuel for Hell. All who aren't Muslims must go there. It will consume them while the Stoker [Allah] increases the heat. They had called Allah's Apostle a liar. They claimed, 'You are nothing but a sorcerer.' So Allah destroyed them."
139. Ishaq:348 "They retreated in all directions. They rejected the Qur'an and called Muhammad a liar. But Allah cursed them to make his religion and Apostle victorious. They lay still in death. Their throats were severed. Their foreheads embraced the dust. Their nostrils were defiled with filth. Many a noble, generous man we slew this day. We left them as meat for the hyenas. And later, they shall burn in the fires of Hell."
140. Ishaq:349 "The battle will tell the world about us. Distant men will heed our warning. The infidels may cut off my leg, yet I am a Muslim. I will exchange my life for one with virgins fashioned like the most beautiful statues."
141. Ishaq:357 "Their leaders were left prostrate. Their heads were sliced off like melons. Many an xv adversary have I left on the ground to rise in pain, broken and plucked. When the battle was joined I dealt them a vicious blow. Their arteries cried aloud, their blood flowed."
142. Ishaq:308 "Muhammad halted on a sandhill and divided the booty Allah had given him. They congratulated him on the victory Allah had granted. But one of the warriors replied, 'What are you congratulating us about? We only met some bald old women like the sacrificial camels who are hobbled, and we slaughtered them!' The Apostle smiled because he knew that description fit ."
143. Tabari VII:81 "The Prophet said, 'I weep because of our taking ransoms. It was laid before me that I should punish them instead.' Allah revealed: 'It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land.' After that Allah made booty lawful for them."
144. Tabari VII:98 "The Messenger ordered Zayd out on a raid in which he captured a Quraysh caravan led by Abu Sufyan. A number of their merchants set out with a large amount of silver since this was the main part of their merchandise. Zayd captured the caravan and its goods but was unable to capture the men. He brought the caravan to the Prophet."
145. Tabari VII:98 "The reason for this expedition was the Quraysh said, 'Muhammad has damaged our trade, and sits astride our road. If we stay in Mecca we will consume our capital.'"
146. Qur'an 3:150 "Soon We shall strike terror into the hearts of the Infidels, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be in the fire!" Ishaq:395 "Muslims, if you listen to the unbelievers you will retreat from the enemy and become losers. Ask Allah for victory and do not retreat, withdrawing from His religion. 'We will terrorize those who disbelieve. In that way I will help you against them.'"
147. Qur'an 33:9 "We sent against them a hurricane and forces that ye saw not. Behold! They came on you from above you and from below you, and behold, the eyes became dim and the hearts gaped up to the throats, stupefied with terror!" Ishaq:461 "Muhammad besieged them for twenty-five nights. When the siege became too severe for them, Allah terrorized them. Then they were told to submit."
148. WAR: Ishaq:208 "When Allah gave permission to his Apostle to fight, the second Aqaba contained conditions involving war which were not in the first act of submission. Now we bound themselves to war against all mankind for Allah and His Apostle. He promised us a reward in Paradise for faithful service. We pledged ourselves to war in complete obedience to Muhammad no matter how evil the circumstances."
149. Ishaq:472 "Muhammad's Companions are the best in war."
150. Qur'an 8:7 "Allah wished to confirm the truth by His words: 'Wipe the infidels out to the last.'"
151. Qur'an 8:12 "Your Lord inspired the angels with the message: 'I am with you. Give firmness to the Believers. I will terrorize the unbelievers. Therefore smite them on their necks and every joint and incapacitate them. Strike off their heads and cut off each of their fingers and toes."
152. Qur'an 8:15 "Believers, when you meet unbelieving infidels in battle while you are marching for war, never turn your backs to them. If any turns his back on such a day, unless it be in a stratagem of war, a maneuver to rally his side, he draws on himself the wrath of Allah, and his abode is Hell, an evil refuge!"
153. Qur'an 8:39 "So, Fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam."
154. Qur'an 8:45 "O believers! When you meet an army, be firm, and think of Allah's Name much; that you may prosper."
155. Qur'an 8:57 "If you meet them in battle, inflict on them such a defeat as would be a lesson for those who come after them, that they may be warned."
156. Qur'an 8:58 "If you apprehend treachery from any group on the part of a people (with whom you have a treaty), retaliate by breaking off (relations) with them. The infidels should not think that they can bypass (the law or punishment of Allah). Surely they cannot get away."
157. Qur'an 8:59 "The infidels should not think that they can escape. Prepare against them whatever arms and weaponry you can muster so that you may terrorize them. They are your enemy and Allah's enemy."
158. Qur'an 8:60 "And make ready against the infidels all of the power you can, including steeds of war [the Noble Qur'an says these are: tanks, planes, missiles, and artillery] to threaten the enemy of Allah and your enemy. And whatever you spend in Allah's Cause shall be repaid unto you."
159. [Another translation reads:] Qur'an 8:60 "Prepare against them whatever arms and cavalry you can muster that you may strike terror in the enemies of Allah, and others besides them. Whatever you spend in Allah's Cause will be repaid in full."
160. Qur'an 8:71 "He will give you mastery over them."
161. Ishaq:204 "'Men, do you know what you are pledging yourselves to in swearing allegiance to this man?' 'Yes. In swearing allegiance to him we are pledging to wage war against all mankind.'"
162. Ishaq:471 "We are steadfast trusting Him. We have a Prophet by whom we will conquer all men."
163. Qur'an 4:77 "Lord, why have You ordained fighting for us, why have You made war compulsory?"
164. Qur'an 4:71 "Believers, take precautions and advance in detachments or go (on expeditions) together in one troop.'"
165. Ishaq:322 "Allah said, 'Do not turn away from Muhammad when he is speaking to you. Do not contradict his orders. And do not be a hypocrite, one who pretends to be obedient to him and then disobeys him. Those who do so will receive My vengeance. You must respond to the Apostle when he summons you to war."
166. Ishaq:544 "Hassan incited the men, reciting: 'This is the time for war. Don't feel safe from us. Our swords will open the door to death.'"
167. Bukhari:V5B57N1 "Allah's Apostle said, 'A time will come when a group of Muslims will wage a Holy War and it will be said, "Is there anyone who has accompanied Allah's Apostle?"They will say, "Yes."
168. And so victory will be bestowed on them.'"
169. Ishaq:574 "In faith I do not fear the army of fate. He gave us the blood of their best men to drink when we led our army against them. We are a great army with a pungent smell. And we attack continuously, wherever our enemy is found."
170. Qur'an 9:5 "When the sacred forbidden months for fighting are past, Fight and kill disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, beleaguer them, and lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war.
171. Qur'an 67:20 "Who is he that will send an army to assist you besides Ar-Rahman?"
172. Tabari IX:115 "The military expeditions (Ghazawat) in which the Messenger personally participated were twenty-six. Some say there were twenty-seven."
173. Tabari IX:118 "The armies and raiding parties sent by the Messenger of Allah between the time he came to Medina and his death (ten years) was forty-eight."
174. Qur'an 48:15 "Those who lagged behind (will say), when you marched forth to capture booty in war: 'Permit us to follow you.'"
175. Qur'an 47:20 "Those who believe say, 'How is it that no surah was sent down (for us)?' But when a categorical [definite or uncompromising] surah is revealed, and fighting and war (Jihad, holy fighting in Allah's Cause) are ordained, you will see those with diseased hearts looking at you (Muhammad) fainting unto death. Therefore woe to them!"
176. Tabari VIII:159 "The people began to throw dust at the army, saying, 'You retreating runaways. You fled in the Cause of Allah!' But the Messenger said, 'They are not fleers. Allah willing, they are ones who will return to Fight another day."
177. " Qur'an 9:25 "Assuredly, Allah did give you victory on many battlefields.... Allah did send down His forces (angels) which you saw not. He punished the Infidels. Such is their reward."
178. Qur'an 9:41 "March forth (equipped) with light or heavy arms. Strive with your goods and your lives in the Cause of Allah. That is best for you."
179. Ishaq:548 "The squadrons of the Messenger, composed of Emigrants and Ansar in iron armor with only their eyes visible, passed by. His company had become great. Woe to you, none can withstand him. It was all due to his prophetic office."
180. Tabari IX:20 "The Messenger and his companions went directly to Ta'if. They encamped there for a fortnight, waging war. The townsfolk fought the Muslims from behind the fort. None came out in the open. All of the surrounding people surrendered and sent their delegations to the Prophet. After besieging Ta'if for twenty days, Muhammad left and halted at Ji'ranah where the captives of Hunayn were held with their women and children. It is alleged that those captives taken numbered six thousand with women and children."
181. Tabari VIII:176 "The Prophet sent out his army in divisions. Zubayr was in charge of the left wing. He was ordered to make an entry with his forces from Kuda. Sa'd was commanded to enter with forces by way of Kada. Allah's Apostle said, 'Today is a day for battle and war. Sanctuary is no more. Today the sacred territory is deemed profane [ungodly and sacrilegious].' When one of the Muhajirs [Muslims] heard him say this, he warned the Apostle, 'It is to be feared that you would resort to violence.' The Prophet ordered Ali to go after him, to take the flag from him, and Fight with it himself."
182. Tabari IX:8 "The Messenger marched with 2,000 Meccans and 10,000 of his Companions who had come with him to facilitate the conquest of Mecca. Thus there were 12,000 in all."
183. Bukhari:V5B59N320"Allah's Apostle said, 'When your enemy comes near shoot at them but use your arrows sparingly (so that they are not wasted).'"
184. Ishaq:572 "Muhammad is the man, an Apostle of my Lord. Evil was the state of our enemy so they lost the day. Fortunes change and we came upon them like lions from the thickets. The armies of Allah came openly, flying at them in rage, so they could not get away. We destroyed them and forced them to surrender. In the former days there was no battle like this; their blood flowed freely. We slew them and left them in the dust. Those who escaped were choked with terror. A multitude of them were slain. This is Allah's war in which those who do not accept Islam will have no helper. War destroyed the tribe and fate the clan."
185. Ishaq:580 "We helped Allah's Apostle, angry on his account, with a thousand warriors. We carried his flag on the end of our lances. We were his helpers, protecting his banner in deadly combat. We dyed it with blood, for that was its color. We were the Prophet's right arm in Islam. We were his bodyguards before other troops served him. We helped him against his opponents. Allah richly rewarded that fine Prophet Muhammad."
186. Ishaq:583 "Since you have made Khalid chief of the army and promoted him, he has become a chief indeed, leading an army guided by Allah. Firmly clad in mail, warriors with lances leveled, we are a strong force not unlike a rushing torrent. We smite the wicked while we swear an oath to Muhammad…fighting in the quest of booty."
187. Ishaq:586 "Red blood flowed because of our rage."
188. Ishaq:587 "Ka'b reacted to the Apostle's decision. He said, 'We put an end to doubt at Khaybar. If our swords could have spoken, their blades would have said, "Give us more. We will tear off the roofs in Wajj. We will make homes desolate. Our cavalry will come upon you leav ing behind a tangled mass. When we assault a town they sound a cry of alarm but our sharp cutting swords flash like lightning. By them we bring death to those who struggle against us. Flowing blood was mingled with saffron the morn the forces met. They were taken by surprise and we surrounded their walls with our troops. Our leader, the Prophet, was firm, steadfast, and full of wisdom. He was not frivolous nor light minded. We obey our Prophet and we obey a Lord. We make you partners in peace and war. If you refuse we will Fight you doggedly."
189. Ishaq:602 "The Apostle ordered Muslims to prepare for a military expedition so that he could raid the Byzantines."
190. Qur'an 47:4 "When you clash with unbelieving Infidels in battle, strike and overpower them. At length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, make them prisoners in bondage until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are you commanded. He lets you Fight in order to test you. Those who are slain in Allah's Cause will never have their deeds go to waste."
191. Qur'an 61:14 "O Muslims! Be helpers of Allah…We gave power to those who believed against their enemies, and they prevailed."
192. Ishaq:441 "A sharp sword in the hand of a brave man kills his adversary."
193. Muslim:C34B20N4669"The Prophet said: 'He who equips a warrior in the Way of Allah is like one who actually fights and he who looks after the family of a warrior in the Allah's Cause in fact participated in the battle.'"
194. Muslim:52B20N4711"I heard the Messenger delivering a sermon from the pulpit: 'Prepare to meet them with as much strength as you can afford. Beware, strength consists in archery.'"
195. Muslim: 52B20N4712 "I heard the Messenger of Allah say: 'Lands shall be thrown open to you and Allah will suffice you against your enemies, but none of you should give up playing with his arrows.'"
196. Qur'an 100:1 "I call to witness the (cavalry steeds), the (snorting courses), that run breathing pantingly (rushing off to battle), striking sparks of fire, scouring to the raid at dawn, raising xix clouds of dust as they penetrate deep into the midst of a foe en masse."
197. Qur'an 21:44 "Do they see Us advancing, gradually reducing the land (in their control), curtailing its borders on all sides? It is they who will be overcome."
198. Ishaq:322 "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who reject Me. So strike off their heads and cut off their fingers. All who oppose Me and My Prophet shall be punished severely."
199. Qur'an 13:41 "Do they not see Us advancing from all sides into the land (of the disbelievers), reducing its borders (by giving it to believers in war victories)?" Qur'an 33:22 "When the faithful saw the retreating allied armies this enhanced their faith and obedience...Allah drove the infidels back in their fury so that their resistance was futile."
200. Ishaq:404 "War has distracted me, but blame me not, 'tis my habit. Struggling with the burdens it imposes, I bear arms bestride my horse at a cavalry's gallop, running like a wild ass in the desert."
201. Ishaq:405 "It is your folly to Fight the Apostle, for Allah's army is bound to disgrace you. Leaders of the infidels, why did you not learn?"
202. Tabari 12/Ishaq:451 "The Apostle said, 'I struck the first blow and what you saw flash out was that Iraq and Persia would see dog's teeth. Gabriel informed me that my nation would be victorious over them. Then I struck my second blow, and what flashed out was for the pale men in the land of the Byzantines to be bitten by the dog's teeth. Gabriel informed me that my nation would be victorious over them. Then I struck my third blow and Gabriel told me that my nation would be victorious over Yemen. Rejoice, victory shall come. This increased the Muslims faith and submission."
203. Tabari VIII:13 "These cities were conquered in the time of Umar, Uthman, and others, Muslims used to say, 'Conquer for yourselves whatever seems good to you; for by Allah you have conquered no city but that Muhammad was given its keys beforehand.'"
204. Ishaq:475 "Allah commanded that horses should be kept for His enemy in the Fight so they might vex them. We obeyed our Prophet's orders when he called us to war. When he called for violent efforts we made them. The Prophet's command is obeyed for he is truly believed. He will give us victory, glory, and a life of ease. Those who call Muhammad a liar disbelieve and go astray. They attacked our religion and would not submit."
205. Ishaq:489 "War is kindled by passing winds. Our swords glitter, cutting through pugnacious heads. Allah puts obstacles in our victims' way to protect His sacred property and our dignity."
206. Qur'an 24:55 "Allah has promised to those among you who believe and do good work that He will make them rulers of the earth. He will establish in authority their religion-the one which He has chosen for them."
207. Ishaq:594 "The Apostle gave gifts to those whose hearts were to be won over, notably the chiefs of the army, to win them and through them the people."
208. Qur'an 5:33 "The punishment for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive after corruption, making mischief in the land [those who refuse to surrender to Islam] is murder, execution, crucifixion, the cutting off of hands and feet on opposite sides, or they should be imprisoned. That is their degradation and disgrace in this world. And a great torment of an awful doom awaits them in the hereafter. Except for those who repent (and become Muslims) before you overpower them and they fall into your control."
209. JIHAD: Qur'an 2:216 "Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims), though you dislike it. But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and like a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not."
210. Qur'an 4:95 "Not equal are those believers who sit at home and receive no injurious hurt, and those who strive hard, fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause with their wealth and lives. Allah has granted a rank higher to those who strive hard, fighting Jihad with their wealth and bodies to those who sit. Allah prefers Jihadists who strive hard and Fight above those who sit home. He has distinguished his fighters with a huge reward."
211. Bukhari:V4B52N44"A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, 'Instruct me as to such a deed as equals Jihad in reward.' He replied, 'I do not find such a deed.'"
212. Bukhari:V1B2N25"Allah's Apostle was asked, 'What is the best deed?' He replied, 'To believe in Allah and His Apostle Muhammad.' The questioner then asked, 'What is the next best in goodness?' He replied, 'To participate in Jihad, religious fighting in Allah's Cause.'"
213. Qur'an 33:22 "Among the Believers are men who have been true to their covenant with Allah and have gone out for Jihad (holy fighting). Some have completed their vow to extreme and have been martyred fighting and dying in His Cause, and some are waiting, prepared for death in battle."
214. Bukhari:V4B53N412 "Allah's Apostle said on the day of the conquest of Mecca, 'There is no migration now, only Jihad, holy battle. And when you are called for Jihad, you should come out at once.'"
215. Bukhari:V4B52N311"Allah's Apostle said, 'There is no migration after the Conquest of Mecca, but only Jihad. When you are called by the Muslim ruler for Jihad fighting, you should go forth immediately, responding to the call.'"
216. Muslim:C28B20N4631"I heard Muhammad say: 'I would not stay behind when a raid for Jihad was being mobilized unless it was going to be too hard on the believers. I love that I should be killed in Allah's Cause; then I should be brought back to life and be killed again.'"
217. Qur'an 9:111 "Allah has purchased the believers, their lives and their goods. For them isParadise. They Fight in Allah's Cause, and they slay and are slain; they kill and are killed."
218. Qur'an 47:4 "So, when you clash with the unbelieving Infidels in battle (fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause), smite their necks until you overpower them, killing and wounding many of them. At length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind them firmly, making (them) captives. Thereafter either generosity or ransom (them based upon what benefits Islam) until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are you commanded by Allah to continue carrying out Jihad against the unbelieving infidels until they submit to Islam."
219. Qur'an 9:91 "There is no blame on those who are old, weak, ill, or who find no resources to spend (on Jihad, holy fighting), if they are sincere (in duty) to Allah and His Messenger."
220. Qur'an 9:122 "It is not proper for the Believers to all go forth together to Fight Jihad. A troop from every expedition should remain behind when others go to war."
221. Bukhari:V4B52N50"The Prophet said, 'A single endeavor of fighting in Allah's Cause is better than the world and whatever is in it.'"
222. xxi Noble Qur'an 2:190 Footnote: "Jihad is holy fighting in Allah's Cause with full force of numbers and weaponry. It is given the utmost importance in Islam and is one of its pillars. By Jihad Islam is established, Allah's Word is made superior (which means only Allah has the right to be worshiped), and Islam is propagated. By abandoning Jihad Islam is destroyed and Muslims fall into an inferior position; their honor is lost, their lands are stolen, their rule and authority vanish. Jihad is an obligatory duty in Islam on every Muslim. He who tries to escape from this duty, or does not fulfill this duty, dies as a hypocrite."
223. Bukhari:V4B52N65 "A man came to the Prophet and asked, 'A man fights for war booty; another fights for fame and a third fights for showing off; which of them fights in Allah's Cause?' The Prophet said, 'He who fights that Allah's Word, Islam, should be superior, fights in Allah's Cause.'"
224. Muslim:C40B20N4676"Jihad Is Compulsory."
225. Bukhari:V4B52N284-5"When the Divine Inspiration [Qur'an surah]: 'Those of the believers who sit at home,' was revealed, Maktum came to the Prophet while he was dictating the verse. 'O Allah's Apostle! If I were able, I would take part in Jihad.' So Allah sent down revelation to His Apostle: '...except those who are disabled, blind, or lame.'"
226. Muslim:C40B20N4676"Believers who sit home and those who go out for Jihad in Allah's Cause are not equal."
227. Bukhari:V4B52N54"The Prophet said, 'Were it not for the believers who do not want to be without me, I would always go forth in army-units setting out for Jihad.'"
228. Bukhari:V4B52N216 "Allah's Apostle said, 'Were it not for fear it would be difficult for my followers, I would not have remained behind any army units. No doubt I wish I could Fight in Allah's Cause and be martyred and come to life to be martyred again.'"
229. Bukhari:V4B52N45"Someone asked, 'Allah's Apostle, who is the best among the people?' He replied, 'A believer who strives his utmost in Allah's Cause with his life and property.'"
230. Bukhari:V4B52N48 "The people said, 'Allah's Apostle! Acquaint the people with the good news.' He said, 'Paradise has one hundred grades which Allah has reserved for the Mujahidin who Fight in His Cause.'"
231. Bukhari:V4B52N66 "Allah's Apostle said, 'Anyone whose feet get covered with dust in Allah's Cause will not be touched by the Hell fire.'"
232. Bukhari:V4B52N137"The Prophet said, 'Paradise is for him who holds the reins of his horse to strive in Allah's Cause with his hair unkempt and feet covered with dust.'"
233. Bukhari:V4B51N47 "'What causes you to smile, O Allah's Apostle?' He said, 'Some of my followers who in a dream were presented to me as fighters in Allah's Cause on board a ship amidst the sea caused me to smile.'"
234. Bukhari:V4B51N72"Our Prophet told us about the message of our Lord: 'Whoever amongst us is killed will go to Paradise.' Umar asked the Prophet, 'Is it true that our men who are killed will go to Paradise and the Pagan's will go to the Hell fire?' The Prophet said, 'Yes.'"
235. Bukhari:V4B51N73"Allah's Apostle said, 'Know that Paradise is under the shade of swords.'"
236. Bukhari:V4B52N80 "Muhammad said, 'Allah welcomes two men with a smile; one of whom kills the other and both of them enter Paradise. One fights in Allah's Cause and gets killed. xxii J I H A D Later on Allah forgives the killer who also get martyred in Allah's Cause.'"
237. Bukhari:V4B52N287"The Emigrants and the Ansar said, 'We are those who have given a pledge of allegiance to Muhammad that we will carry on Jihad as long as we live.'"
238. Bukhari:V4B52N94 "The Prophet said, 'Whoever spends two things in Allah's Cause [his life and his wealth], will be called by all the gatekeepers of Paradise.'"
239. Bukhari:V4B52N130"Aisha said, 'Whenever the Prophet intended to proceed on a raid he used to draw lots amongst his wives and would take the one upon whom the lot fell. Once, before setting out for Jihad, he drew lots and it fell on me; so I went with him."
240. Bukhari:V4B52N43"Aisha said, 'Apostle! We consider Jihad as the best deed. Should we not Fight in Allah's Cause?' He said, 'The best Jihad for women is the Hajj done as I have done it.'"
241. Bukhari:V4B52N134"We used to take part in holy battles with the Prophet, providing his fighters with water and bringing the killed and the wounded back to Medina."
242. Bukhari:V4B52N175"He heard the Prophet saying, 'Paradise is granted to the first batch of my followers who will undertake a naval expedition.' The Prophet then said, 'The first army amongst my followers who will invade Caesar's City will be forgiven their sins.'"
243. Bukhari:V4B52N178-9"The Prophet said, 'One of the portents of the Hour is that you will Fight people wearing shoes made of hair. And you will Fight the Turks, a broad-faced people with small eyes, red faces, and flat noses. Their faces will look like shields coated with leather.'"
244. Bukhari:V4B52N182-4 "Allah's Apostle invoked evil upon the infidels, saying, 'O Allah! The revealer of the Holy Book, defeat these people and shake them. Fill the infidels' houses and graves with fire.'"
245. Bukhari:V4B52N259"Allah's Apostle sent us on a mission as a army unit and said, 'If you find so-and-so and so-and-so, burn both of them with fire.'"
246. Bukhari: V4B52N203 "I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'The Imam is like a shelter for whose safety the Muslims should fight.'"
247. Bukhari:V4B52N208 "My brother and I came to the Prophet and asked to migrate. He said, 'Migration has passed away.' I replied, 'For what will you accept our pledge of allegiance?"He said, 'I will take the pledge for Islam and Jihad.'"
248. Bukhari:V4B52N220"Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror. While I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand.' Allah's Apostle has left the world and now we are bringing out those treasures."
249. Bukhari:V4B52N267"The Prophet said, 'Khosrau will be ruined. There won't be a Persian King after him. Caesar will be ruined. There will be no Caesar after him. You will spend their treasures in Allah's Cause.' He proclaimed, 'War is deceit.'"
250. Bukhari:V4B53N386"Umar sent Muslims to great countries to Fight pagans. He said, 'I intend to invade Persia and Rome.' So, he ordered us to go to [the Persian King] Khosrau. When we reached the enemy, Khosrau's representative came out with 40,000 warriors, saying, 'Talk to me! Who are you?' Mughira replied, 'We are Arabs; we led a hard, miserable, disastrous life. We used to worship trees and stones. While we were in this state, our Prophet, the Messenger of our Lord, ordered us to Fight you till you worship Allah Alone or pay us xxiii the Jizyah tribute tax in submission. Our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says: 'Whoever amongst us is killed as a martyr shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever survives shall become your master.'"
251. Tabari IX:49 "Muhammad urged the Muslims by way of a meeting to help cover the expenses of Jihad in Allah's Cause. The men provided mounts in anticipation of Allah's reward."
252. Ishaq:603 "The Apostle went forward energetically with his preparations and ordered the men to get ready with all speed. He urged Muslims to help provide the money, mounts, and means to do Allah's work. Those who contributed earned rewards with Allah."
253. Tabari IX:76 "Malik has reported to me that you were the first from Himyar to embrace Islam and that you have killed infidels, so rejoice at your good fortune."
254. Qur'an 047.033 "Believers, obey Allah, and obey the Messenger! Those who disbelieve and hinder men from the Cause of Allah, He will not pardon. Do not falter; become fainthearted, or weak-kneed, crying for peace. You have the upper hand."
255. Muslim:C29B20N4636"The Messenger of Allah was asked: 'What deed could be equivalent to Jihad in the Cause of Allah? He answered: 'You do not have the strength to do that deed.'The question was repeated twice or thrice. Every time he answered: 'You do not have the strength to do it.' When the question was asked for the third time, he said: 'One who goes out for Jihad is like a person who keeps fasts and stands in prayer forever, never exhibiting any weariness until the Mujihid returns from Jihad.'"
256. Muslim:C29B20N4638"As I was (sitting) near the pulpit of the Messenger a man said: 'I do not care if, after embracing Islam, I do not do any good deed (except) distributing drinking water to pilgrims.' Another said: 'I do not care if I do not do any good deed beyond maintenance service to the Sacred Mosque.' Yet another said: 'Jihad in the Way of Allah is better than what you have said.' When prayer was over, I entered (the apartment of the Prophet) and asked his verdict about the matter. It was upon this that Allah, the Almighty and Exalted, revealed the Qur'anic Verse: 'Do you make the giving of drinking water to the pilgrims and the maintenance of the Sacred Mosque equal to (the service of those) who believe in Allah and strive hard and Fight Jihad in His Cause. They are not equal. Those who believed and fought Jihad in Allah's Cause with their wealth and their lives are far higher in degree with Allah.'"
257. Muslim:C30B20N4639"The Messenger said: 'Leaving for Jihad in the Way of Allah in the morning or in the evening will merit a reward better than the world and all that is in it.'"
258. Muslim:C32B20N4646"Muhammad stood up among his Companions to deliver his sermon in which he told them that Jihad in Allah's Cause and belief in Allah were the most meritorious of acts. A man stood and said: 'Messenger, do you think that if I am killed in the Way of Allah, my sins will be blotted out?' The Messenger said: 'Yes, in case you are killed in Allah's Cause and you always fought facing the enemy, never turning your back upon him.' The man asked (again).' The Messenger said: 'Yes, if you always fought facing the enemy and never retreated. Gabriel has told me this.'"
259. Bukhari:V4B52N104 "The Prophet said, 'Good will remain in the foreheads of horses for Jihad for they bring about a reward in Paradise or booty.'"
260. Bukhari:V4B52N105"The Prophet said, 'If somebody keeps a horse in Allah's Cause motivated by His promise, then he will be rewarded for what the horse has eaten or drunk and for its dung and urine.'"
261. Ishaq:470 "We attacked them fully armed, swords in our hand, cutting through heads."
262. Ishaq:385 "Amr Jamuh was a very lame man. He had four lion-like sons who were present at the Apostle's battles. At Uhud he came to the Prophet and told him that his sons wanted to keep him back and prevent his joining the army. 'Yet, by Allah, I hope to tread in the Heavenly Garden of Paradise despite my lameness. The Apostle said, 'Allah has excused you, and Jihad is not incumbent on you.' Then Muhammad turned to his sons and said, 'You need not prevent him. Perhaps Allah will favor him with martyrdom.' So the lame old man went into battle and was killed."
263. Tabari VII:144/Ishaq:426"The Muslims bivouacked for the night and were taken by surprise. So the Muslims took up their swords [not Qur'ans] to Fight them, but the Lihyans said, 'We do not want to kill you. We only want to get some money by selling you to the Meccans. We swear by Allah's Covenant that we will not kill you.' 'By Allah,' Asim said, 'we will never accept a an agreement from an unbelieving infidel.' They fought until they were killed."
264. Ishaq:445 "The rules of the Prayer of Fear were revealed during this raid [4:102]. Muhammad divided the Companions into groups; one stood facing the enemy; the other stood behind the Prophet. He magnified Allah by shouting 'Allahu Akbar.' Then he and those behind him performed a rak'ah and prostrated themselves."
265. [Magnifying Allah is "The Prayer of Fear"-appropriate for a terrorist dogma. They shouted: Allahu Akbar-Allah is Greatest!]
266. Bukhari:V4B52N68"When Allah's Apostle returned from the battle of the Trench, he put down his arms and took a bath. Then Gabriel whose head was covered with dust, came to him saying, 'You have put down your arms! By Allah, I have not put down my arms yet.' Allah's Apostle said, 'Where to go now?' Gabriel said, 'This way,' pointing towards the tribe of Qurayza. So Allah's Apostle went out towards them."
267. Bukhari:V4B52N280 "When the Qurayza were ready to accept judgment, Sa'd proclaimed, 'I give the judgment that their men should be killed and their children and women should be taken as prisoners.' The Prophet remarked, 'You have judged them with the judgment of King Allah.'"
268. Ishaq:485 "Muhammad found that the Lihyan had been warned. They had taken secure positions on the mountaintops. After he failed to take them by surprise as he intended, he said, 'If we go down to Usfan, the Meccans will think we have come to [terrorize] them.'"
269. Ishaq:486 "If the Lihyan had remained in their homes they would have met bands of fine fighters, audacious warriors who terrorize. They would have confronted an irresistible force glittering like stars. But they were weasels, sticking to the clefts of rocks instead."
270. Ishaq:489 "Do the bastards think that we are not their equal in fighting? We are men who believe there is no shame in killing. We don't turn from piercing lances. We smite the heads of the haughty with blows that quash the zeal of the unyielding [non-Muslims]. We're heroes, protecting our war banner. We are a noble force, as fierce as wolves. We preserve our honor and protect our property by smashing heads."
271. xxv Tabari VIII:48 "Then he set out at full speed after the enemy-he was like a beast of prey."
272. Ishaq:490/TabariVIII:51 "The Muslims advanced and fought fiercely. Allah caused the Mustaliq [non-Muslims] to Fight and killed some of them. Allah gave the Apostle their children, women, and property as booty."
273. Muslim:B19N4292"Aun inquired whether it was necessary to extend an invitation to submit to Islam before murdering infidels in the fight. Nafi told me that it was necessary in the early days of Islam. The Messenger made a raid upon Mustaliq while they were unaware and their cattle were having a drink at the water. He killed those who fought and imprisoned others. This Tradition was related by one who was among the raiding troops."
274. Tabari VIII:56/Ishaq:493 "According to Aisha: 'A great number of Mustaliq were wounded. The Messenger took many captives, and they were divided among all the Muslims.'"
275. Muslim:C26B20N4614"I saw Allah's Messenger twisting the forelock of a horse with his fingers as he was saying: 'A great benefit. A reward for rearing them for Jihad. The spoils of war have been tied to the forelocks of horses.'"
276. Muslim:C28B20N4626 "Merit Of Jihad And Campaigning In Allah's Cause: The Apostle said: 'Allah has undertaken to look after the affairs of one who goes out to Fight in His Way believing in Him and affirming the truth of His Apostle. He is committed that He will either admit him to Paradise or bring him back to his home with a reward or his share of booty. If a person gets wounded in Allah's Cause he will arrive on the Day of Judgment with his wound in the same condition as it was when it was first inflicted; its color will be blood but its smell will be musk perfume. If it were not too hard on Muslims I would not lag behind any raid going out to Fight in the Cause of Allah. But I do not have abundant means to provide them (the Mujahids [Islamic terrorists]) with riding beasts, nor have they all have the means (to provide themselves with the weapons of Jihad). I love to Fight in the Way of Allah and be killed, to Fight and again be killed and to Fight and be killed.'"
277. Tabari VIII:123/Ishaq:515 "Allah's Apostle besieged the final [Jewish] community until they could hold out no longer. Finally, when they were certain that they would perish, they asked Muhammad to banish them and spare their lives, which he did. The Prophet took possession of all their property."
278. Bukhari:V5B59N510"Allah's Apostle reached Khaybar at night. It was his habit that, whenever he reached an enemy at night, he would not attack them till it was morning. When morning came, the Jews came out with their spades and baskets. When they saw the Prophet, they said, 'Muhammad! O dear God! It's Muhammad and his army!' The Prophet shouted, 'Allahu-Akbar! Khaybar is destroyed, for whenever we approach a nation, evil will be the morning for those who have been warned.'"
279. Bukhari:V5B59N516"When Allah's Apostle fought the battle of Khaybar, or when he raided any other people, we raised voices crying, 'Allahu-Akbar! Allahu-Akbar!'" Tabari VIII:130 "The Prophet conquered Khaybar by force after fighting. Khaybar was something that Allah gave as booty to His Messenger. He took one-fifth of it and divided the remainder among the Muslims."
280. Muslim:C31B20N4645"The Prophet said: 'Whoever cheerfully accepts Allah as his Lord, Islam as his Religion and Muhammad as his Apostle is necessarily entitled to enter Paradise.'Abu wondered at it and said: 'Messenger of Allah, repeat that for me.' He did that and said: 'There is another act which elevates the position of a man in Paradise to a grade one hundred (higher), and the elevation between one grade and the other is equal to the height of the heaven from the earth.' Abu said: 'What is that act?' He replied: 'Jihad in the Way of Allah! Jihad in Allah's Cause!'"
281. Bukhari:V4B52N53 "The Prophet said, 'Nobody who dies and finds Paradise would wish to come back to this life even if he were given the whole world and whatever is in it, except the martyr who, on seeing the superiority of martyrdom, would like to come back to get killed again in Allah's Cause.'"
282. Bukhari:V4B52N54 "The Prophet said, 'Were it not for the believers who do not want me to leave them, I would certainly and always go forth in army units setting out in Allah's Cause. I would love to be martyred in Allah's Cause and then get resurrected and then get martyred, and then get resurrected again and then get martyred and then get resurrected again and then get martyred.'"
283. Qur'an 33:22 "The Believers said: 'This is what Allah and his Messenger promised us.' It added to their faith, obedience, and submission. Among the Believers are men who have been true to their covenant with Allah and have gone out for Jihad (holy fighting). Some have completed their vow to extreme (and have been martyred) fighting and dying in His Cause, and some are waiting, prepared for death in battle."
284. Bukhari:V4B53N386 "Our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says: 'Whoever amongst us is killed as a martyr shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever survives shall become your master."
285. Bukhari V4B52N46 "I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Allah guarantees that He will admit the Muslim fighter into Paradise if he is killed, otherwise He will return him to his home safely with rewards and booty.'"
286. Ishaq:518 "Masud was one of those who found martyrdom at Khaybar. Muhammad said, 'He has with him now his two dark-eyed virgins. When a martyr is slain, his two virgins pet him, wiping the dust from his face.'"
287. Tabari VIII:153/Ishaq:533 "Abdallah Rawahah encouraged the men, saying, 'By Allah, what you loathe is the very thing you came out to seek-martyrdom. We are not fighting the enemy with number, strength, or multitude, but we are fighting them with this religion with which Allah has honored us. So come on! Both prospects are fine: victory or martyrdom.'"
288. Qur'an 9:111 "Allah has purchased the believers, their lives and their goods. For them (in return) is the Garden (of Paradise). They Fight in Allah's Cause, and slay others and are slain, they kill and are killed. It is a promise binding on Him in the Taurat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel), and the Qur'an. And who is more faithful to his covenant than Allah? Then rejoice in the bargain which you have concluded. It is the achievement supreme."
289. Qur'an 4:74 "Let those who Fight in Allah's Cause sell the life of this world for the hereafter. xxvii To him who fights in the Cause of Allah, whether he is slain or gets victory-soon shall We give him a great reward."
290. Muslim:C29B20N4634 "The Messenger of Allah said, 'Nobody who dies and has something good for him with Allah will (like to) return even though he were offered the whole world and all that is in it (as an inducement), except the martyr who desires to return and be killed for the merit of martyrdom.'"
291. Muslim:C29B20N4635"The Prophet said: 'Nobody who enters Paradise wants return even if he were offered everything on the surface of the earth except the martyr who will desire to return and be killed ten times for the sake of the great honor that has been bestowed upon him.'"
292. Muslim:C33B20N4651 "We asked Abdallah about the Qur'anic Verse: 'Think not of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead. Nay, they are alive, finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord.'
293. (Qur'an 3:169) He said: 'We asked the Holy Prophet the meaning of the verse and he said: "The souls of martyrs live in the bodies of green birds who have their nests in chandeliers hung from the throne of the Almighty. They eat the fruits of Paradise from wherever they like and then nestle in these chandeliers. Once their Lord cast a glance at them and said: 'Do you want anything?' They said: 'What more shall we desire? We eat the fruit of Paradise from wherever we like.' Their Lord asked them the same question thrice. When they saw that they would continue to be asked and not left, they said: 'O Lord, we wish that Thou mayest return our souls to our bodies so that we may be slain in Thy Way once again.' When He (Allah) saw that they had no need, they were left (to their joy)."
294. '" Ishaq:400 "One whom I do not suspect told me that he was asked about these verses and he said, 'We asked Muhammad about them and we were told that when our brethren were slain at Uhud Allah put their spirits in the crops of green birds which come down to the rivers of the Garden and eat of its fruits. They say, "We should like our spirits to return to our bodies and then return to the earth and Fight for You until we are killed again.'"
295. Muslim: C41B20N4678 "Proof Of The Martyr's Attaining Paradise: Jabir said that a man said, 'Messenger of Allah, where shall I be if I am killed?' He replied: 'In Paradise.' The man threw away the dates he had in his hand and fought until he was killed."
296. Muslim:C41B20N4681"Abdallah heard it from his father who, while facing the enemy, reported that the Messenger said: 'Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords.' A man in a shabby condition got up and said: 'Did you hear the Prophet say this?'He said: 'Yes.' He returned to his friends and said: 'I greet you (a farewell greeting).' Then he broke the sheath of his sword, threw it away, advanced with his (naked) sword towards the enemy and fought with it until he was slain."
297. Muslim:C44B20N4691"Muhammad said: 'A troop of soldiers, large or small, who Fight get their share of the booty and return safe and sound, receive in advance two-thirds of their reward; and a troop of soldiers who return empty-handed and are afflicted or wounded will receive their full reward.'"
298. Muslim:51B20N4706 "Allah's Messenger said: 'Whom do you consider to be a martyr among you?' The Companions said: 'One who is slain in Allah's Cause is a martyr.' He said: 'Then (if this is the definition of a martyr) the martyrs of my Umma [Islamic community] will be small in number.' They asked: 'Prophet, who are martyrs then?' He said: 'One who is slain in Allah's Cause is a martyr; one who dies in the Way of Allah is a martyr; one who dies of plague is a martyr; one who dies of cholera is a martyr.'"
299. Ishaq:208 "Uhud commanded the Apostles archers. He was killed in the battle of Yemen as a martyr. Abu was present at all of the Apostle's battles and died in Byzantine territory as a martyr. Mu'adh was present at every raid. He was killed at Badr as a martyr. Mu'awwidh, his brother, shared the same glory. Umara was at every battle and died a martyr in Yemen. As'ad died before Badr when the Prophet's mosque was being built. The Apostle put Amr in command of the rearguard. He died at Uhud as a martyr. Abdallah led many raids and was slain as a martyr at Muta. He was one of Muhammad's commanders. Khallad fought at Badr, Uhud, and Khandaq. He was martyred fighting the [Jewish] Qurayza. The Apostle said that he would have the reward of two martyrs."
300. Bukhari: V5B59N377 "A man came to the Prophet and said, 'Can you tell me where I will go if I get martyred?' The Prophet replied, 'To Paradise.' The man fought till he was martyred."
301. Tabari VII:55 "Allah's Messenger went out to his men and incited them to fight. He promised, 'Every man may keep all the booty he takes.' Then Muhammad said, 'By Allah, if any man fights today and is killed fighting aggressively, going forward and not retreating, Allah will cause him to enter Paradise.' Umayr said, 'Fine, fine. This is excellent! Nothing stands between me and my entering Paradise except to be killed by these people!' He seized his sword, and fought until he was slain."
302. Ishaq:306 "When the Allah's Apostle said, '70,000 of my followers shall enter Paradise like the full moon,' Ukkasha asked if he could be one of them. Then a lesser Ansari asked to be included, but the Prophet replied, 'Ukkasha beat you to it and my prayer is now cold.'"
303. Bukhari:V5B59N379"When we wrote the Qur'an, I missed one of the verses I used to hear Allah's Apostle reciting. Then we searched for it and found it. The verse was: 'Among the Believers are men who have been true to their Covenant with Allah. Of them, some have fulfilled their obligations to Allah (i.e. they have been killed in Allah's Cause), and some of them are (still) waiting to be killed.' (Surah 33.23) So we wrote this in its place in the Qur'an."
304. Qur'an 61:10 "Believers, shall I lead you to a bargain or trade that will save you from a painful torment? That you believe in Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad), and that you strive and Fight in Allah's Cause with your property and your lives: That will be best for you!"
305. Qur'an 61:12 "He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens under which rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Eden: that is indeed the Supreme Achievement. And another (favor) which you love: help from Allah for a speedy victory over your enemies."
306. Bukhari:V4B52N72 "The Prophet said, 'Nobody who enters Paradise likes to go back to the world even if he got everything on the earth, except a Mujahid [Islamic fighter] who wishes to return so that he may be martyred ten times because of the dignity he receives.' Our Prophet told us about the message of Allah: 'Whoever among us is killed will go to Paradise.' Umar asked the Prophet, 'Is it not true that our men who are killed will go to Paradise and those of the Pagan's will go to Hell?' The Prophet said, 'Yes.'"
307. Bukhari:V4B52N63"A man came to the Prophet and said, 'Shall I Fight or embrace Islam first?' The Prophet said, 'Embrace Islam and then fight.' He became a Muslim and was martyred. The Prophet said, 'A little work, but a great reward."
308. xxix Ishaq:388 "Abu Qasim [Muhammad] said, 'I testify concerning these that all wounded for Allah's sake will be raised with his wounds bleeding, the color of blood, the smell of musk. Put the one who remembered the most surahs on top of the others in one mass grave.'"
309. Qur'an 3:140 "If you have received a blow and have been wounded, be sure a similar wound has hurt others. Such days We give to men and men by turns: that Allah may know those who believe, and that He may take to Himself from your ranks Martyrs."
310. Qur'an 3:156 "If you are slain, or die, in Allah's Cause [as a martyr], pardon from Allah and mercy are far better than all they could amass."
311. Ishaq:397 "There is no escape from death, so death for Allah's sake in battle is better than all one can amass in life while holding back from fighting in fear of death. Let not the world deceive you and be not deceived by it. Let fighting and the reward which Allah holds out to you be the most important thing."
312. Qur'an 3:169 "Think not of those who are slain in Allah's Cause as dead. Nay, they live, finding their provision from their Lord. Jubilant in the bounty provided by Allah: and with regard to those left behind, who have not yet joined them (in their bliss), the Martyrs glory in the fact that on them is no fear, nor have they cause to grieve."
313. Qur'an 3:172 "Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Messenger, even after being wounded (in the fight), those who do right and ward off have a great reward."
314. Ishaq:400 "'If our fellow Muslims knew what Allah has done for us they would not dislike fighting or shrink from war!' Allah said, 'I will tell them of you,' so He sent down to His Apostle these verses.' The Apostle swore that there was no believer who had parted from the world and wanted to return to it for a single hour even if he could possess it with all it has except the martyr who would like to return and Fight for Allah and be killed a second time."
315. Bukhari:V8B75N417 "Allah's Messenger said, 'Allah has some angels who look for those who think about Allah while they're out [fighting] and they encircle them with their wings. Allah [who hears all] asks these angels, 'What do my slaves say?' The angels reply, 'Allahu Akbar!' Allah [who created a brothel] asks, 'What do they desire?' 'They ask for your Paradise.' 'Have they seen it?' 'No. But if they had they would covet it all the more.'"
316. Ishaq:468 "Then Allah said, 'Some of you have fulfilled your vow to Me by dying; you have finished your work and returned to Me like those who sought martyrdom in prior battles. And some are still waiting to capitalize on Allah's promise of martyrdom. You do not hesitate in your religion and never doubt.'"
317. Ishaq:469 "On the day the Qurayza Jews were slain, one Muslim was martyred. A stone was thrown on him and it inflicted a shattering wound. The Apostle said, 'He will have the reward of two martyrs.'"
318. Tabari VIII:46 "Akhram said, 'If you believe in Allah and know that Paradise is real and that the fire is real, don't stand between me and martyrdom!' "
319. Qur'an 47:4 "But if it had been Allah's will, He Himself could have exacted retribution and punished them (without your help). But He lets you Fight in order to test you. But those who are killed in Allah's Cause, will never let their deeds go to waste."
- Hadith quotes about Jihad
1. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:50 "The Prophet said, 'A single endeavor of fighting in Allah's Cause is better than the world and whatever is in it.'"
2. Sahih Muslim 20:4706 Messenger of Allah said: Whom do you consider to be a martyr among you? They (the Companions) said: Messenger, of Allah, one who is slain in the way of Allah is a martyr. He said: Then (if this is the definition of a martyr) the martyrs of my Umma will be small in number. They asked: Messenger of Allah, who are they? He said: One who is slain in the way of Allah is a martyr; one who dies in the way of Allah, is a martyr; one who dies of plague is a martyr; one who dies of cholera is a martyr.
3. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:63 "A man came to the Prophet and said, 'Shall I Fight or embrace Islam first?' The Prophet said, 'Embrace Islam and then fight.' He became a Muslim and was died syahid. The Prophet said, 'A little work, but a great reward."
4. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:63 "A man whose face was covered with an iron mask came to the Prophet and said, 'Allah's Apostle! Shall I fight or embrace Islam first?' The Prophet said, 'Embrace Islam first and then fight.' So he embraced Islam, and was syahid(died in Allah’s cause). Allah's Apostle said, 'A Little work, but a great reward.'"
5. Sahih Bukhari 4:53:386 "Our Prophet ordered us to Fight you till you worship Allah alone or pay us the Jizyah tribute tax in submission. Our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says: 'Whoever amongst us is killed as a syahid shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever survives shall become your master.'"
6. Sahih Muslim 20:4668 "The Messenger said: 'Anybody who equips a warrior going to Fight in the Way of Allah is like one who actually fights ."
7. Sahih Muslim 1:29 "Command For fighting: When the Messenger breathed his last and Bakr was appointed Caliph, many Arabs chose to become apostates [rejected Islam]....Abu Bakr said: 'I will definitely Fight against anyone who stops paying the Zakat tax, for it is an obligation. I will Fight against them even to secure that which they used to pay if they withhold it now.' Allah had justified fighting against those who refused to pay Zakat."
8. Muslim:C9B1N33"The Prophet said: 'I have been commanded to Fight against people till they testify there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and they establish prostration prayer, and pay Zakat. If they do it, their blood and property are protected.'"
9. Narrated By Ibn 'Abbas : " The Prophet said, on the day of the Conquest of Mecca, "There is no migration (after the Conquest), but Jihad and good intentions, and when you are called for Jihad, you should immediately respond to the call.'"
10. Muslim:C28B20N4628 "Allah has undertaken to provide for one who leaves his home to fight; Allah will either admit him to Paradise or will bring him back home with his reward and booty."
11. Muslim:C28B20N4629 "The Messenger said: 'One who is wounded in the Way of Allah will appear on the Day of Judgment with his wound still bleeding. The color (of discharge) will be blood, (but) its smell will be musk.'"
12. Sahih Bukhari 4:53:386 "Our Prophet has informed us that our Lord says: 'Whoever amongst us is killed as a syahid shall go to Paradise to lead such a luxurious life as he has never seen, and whoever survives shall become your master."
13. Muslim: C34B20N4652-3 "The Merit Of Jihad And Of Keeping Vigilance Over The Enemy: A man came to the Holy Prophet and said: 'Who is the best of men?' He replied: 'A man who fights staking his life and spending his wealth in Allah's Cause.'"
14. Muslim:C42B20N4684 "A desert Arab came to the Prophet and said: 'Messenger, one man fights for the spoils of war; another fights that he may be remembered, and one fights that he may see his (high) position (achieved as a result of his valor in fighting). Which of these is fighting in the Cause of Allah?' The Messenger of Allah said: 'Who fights so that the word of Allah is exalted is fighting in the Way of Allah.'"
15. Muslim:C53B20N4717 "The Prophet said: 'This religion will continue to exist, and a group of people from the Muslims will continue to Fight for its protection until the Hour is established.'"
16. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:44 "A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, 'Instruct me as to such a deed as equals Jihad in reward.' He replied, 'I do not find such a deed.'"
17. Sahih Bukhari 1:2:25 "Allah's Apostle was asked, 'What is the best deed?' He replied, 'To believe in Allah and His Apostle Muhammad.' The questioner then asked, 'What is the next best in goodness?' He replied, 'To participate in Jihad, religious struggle in Allah's Cause.'"
18. Sahih Bukhari 4:53:412 " Narrated By Ibn 'Abbas : The Prophet said, on the day of the Conquest of Mecca, "There is no migration (after the Conquest), but Jihad and good intentions, and when you are called for Jihad, you should immediately respond to the call."
19. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:65 "A man came to the Prophet and asked, 'A man fights for war booty; another fights for fame and a third fights for showing off; which of them fights in Allah's Cause?' The Prophet said, 'He who fights that Allah's Word, Islam, should be superior, fights in Allah's Cause.'"
20. Sahih Muslim 20:4676 Believers who sit home and those who go out for Jihad in Allah's Cause are not equal.
21. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:216 "Allah's Apostle said, 'Were it not for fear it would be difficult for my followers, I would not have remained behind any army units. No doubt I wish I could Fight in Allah's Cause and be syahid(die in the way of Allah) and come to life to be syahid again.'"
22. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:45 "Someone asked, 'Allah's Apostle, who is the best among the people?' He replied, 'A believer who strives his utmost in Allah's Cause with his life and property.'"
23. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:48 "The people said, 'Allah's Apostle! Acquaint the people with the good news.' He said, 'Paradise has one hundred grades which Allah has reserved for the Mujahidin who Fight in His Cause.'"
24. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:66 "Allah's Apostle said, 'Anyone whose feet get covered with dust in Allah's Cause will not be touched by the Hell fire.'"
25. Sahih Bukhari 4:51:72 "Our Prophet told us about the message of our Lord: 'Whoever amongst us is killed will go to Paradise.' Umar asked the Prophet, 'Is it true that our men who are killed will go to Paradise and the Pagan's will go to the Hell fire?' The Prophet said, 'Yes.'"
26. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:94 "The Prophet said, 'Whoever spends two things in Allah's Cause [his life and his wealth], will be called by all the gatekeepers of Paradise.'"
27. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:43 "Aisha(the Apostle Muhammad’s wife) said, 'Apostle! We consider Jihad as the best deed. Should we not Fight in Allah's Cause?' He said, 'The best Jihad for women is the Hajj done as I have done it.'"
28. Muslim:C34B20N4669 "The Prophet said: 'He who equips a warrior in the Way of Allah is like one who actually fights and he who looks after the family of a warrior in the Allah's Cause in fact participated in the battle.'"
29. Muslim:C29B20N4636 "The Messenger of Allah was asked: 'What deed could be equivalent to Jihad in the Cause of Allah? He answered: 'You do not have the strength to do that deed.'The question was repeated twice or thrice. Every time he answered: 'You do not have the strength to do it.' When the question was asked for the third time, he said: 'One who goes out for Jihad is like a person who keeps fasts and stands in prayer forever, never exhibiting any weariness until the Mujihid returns from Jihad.'"
30. Muslim:C30B20N4639 "The Messenger said: 'Leaving for Jihad in the Way of Allah in the morning or in the evening will merit a reward better than the world and all that is in it.'"
31. Muslim:C32B20N4646 "Muhammad stood up among his Companions to deliver his sermon in which he told them that Jihad in Allah's Cause and belief in Allah were the most meritorious of acts. A man stood and said: 'Messenger, do you think that if I am killed in the Way of Allah, my sins will be blotted out?' The Messenger said: 'Yes, in case you are killed in Allah's Cause and you always fought facing the enemy, never turning your back upon him.' The man asked (again).' The Messenger said: 'Yes, if you always fought facing the enemy and never retreated. Gabriel has told me this.'"
32. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:105 "The Prophet said, 'If somebody keeps a horse in Allah's Cause motivated by His promise, then he will be rewarded for what the horse has eaten or drunk and for its dung and urine.'"
33. Sahih Muslim 20:4645 "The Prophet said: 'Whoever cheerfully accepts Allah as his Lord, Islam as his Religion and Muhammad as his Apostle is necessarily entitled to enter Paradise.'Abu wondered at it and said: 'Messenger of Allah, repeat that for me.' He did that and said: 'There is another act which elevates the position of a man in Paradise to a grade one hundred (higher), and the elevation between one grade and the other is equal to the height of the heaven from the earth.' Abu said: 'What is that act?' He replied: 'Jihad in the Way of Allah! Jihad in Allah's Cause!'"
34. Sahih Bukhari 4:52:53 "The Prophet said, 'Nobody who dies and finds Paradise would wish to come back to this life even if he were given the whole world and whatever is in it, except the syahids who, on seeing the superiority of syahid, would like to come back to get killed again in Allah's Cause.'"
35. Sahih Muslim 19:4294 "It has been reported from Sulaiman b. Buraid through his father that when the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) appointed anyone as leader of an army or detachment he would especially exhort him to fear Allah and to be good to the Muslims who were with him. He would say: Fight in the name of Allah and in the way of Allah. Fight against those who disbelieve in Allah. Make a holy war, do not embezzle the spoils ; do not break your pledge; and do not mutilate (the dead) bodies; do not kill the children. When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to (accept) Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them. Then invite them to migrate from their lands to the land of Muhajirs and inform them that, if they do so, they shall have all the privileges and obligations of the Muhajirs. If they refuse to migrate, tell them that they will have the status of Bedouin Muslims and will be subjected to the Commands of Allah like other Muslims, but they will not get any share from the spoils of war or Fai' except when they actually fight with the Muslims (against the disbelievers). If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the Jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah's help and fight them. When you lay siege to a fort and the besieged appeal to you for protection in the name of Allah and His Prophet, do not accord to them the guarantee of Allah and His Prophet, but accord to them your own guarantee and the guarantee of your companions for it is a lesser sin that the security given by you or your companions be disregarded than that the security granted in the name of Allah and His Prophet be violated When you besiege a fort and the besieged want you to let them out in accordance with Allah's Command, do not let them come out in accordance with His Command, but do so at your (own) command, for you do not know whether or not you will be able to carry out Allah's behest with regard to them."
36. Bukhari 1:2:24 "Muhammad said: 'I have been ordered to fight people until they witness the true fact that there is no god but Allah and I am His Prophet whom He has sent."
37. Sahih Al Bukhari #4228 "The Verse:--"You (true Muslims) are the Best of peoples ever raised up for mankind." (Qur'an 3:110) means, the Best of peoples for the people, as you bring them with chains on their necks till they embrace Islam."
- Qur’an Verses about Jihad
1. Qur'an 9:88 "The Messenger and those who believe with him, strive hard and struggle with their wealth and lives in Allah's Cause. They are the ones who will have all the goodness, and they are the ones who will prosper."
2. Qur'an 9:111 “Indeed Allah has purchased from the believers their persons and their wealth and in return has promised them paradise; they fight in the cause of Allah and slay and are slain. This is a true promise which is binding on Him mentioned in Torah, the Gospel and the Qur’an; and who is more true in fulfilling his promise than Allah? Rejoice, therefore, in the bargain which you have made, and that is a mighty achievement."
3. Qur'an 8:39 "And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do."
4. Qur'an 9:12-16 "But if they violate their oaths after their covenant, and taunt you for your Faith,- fight ye the chiefs of Unfaith: for their oaths are nothing to them: that thus they may be restrained. Will ye not fight people who violated their oaths, plotted to expel the Messenger, and took the aggressive by being the first (to assault) you? Do ye fear them? Nay, it is Allah Whom ye should more justly fear, if ye believe! Fight them, and Allah will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame, help you (to victory) over them, heal the breasts of Believers, And still the indignation of their hearts. For Allah will turn (in mercy) to whom He will; and Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise. What! do you think that you will be left alone while Allah has not yet known those of you who have struggled hard and have not taken any one as an adherent besides Allah and His Apostle and the believers; and Allah is aware of what you do."
5. Qur'an 9:29 "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."
6. Qur'an 8:65 "O Prophet, rouse the believers to fight. If there are twenty among you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred; if there are a hundred then they will slaughter a thousand unbelievers, for the infidels are a people devoid of understanding."
7. Qur'an 2:217 "They question you concerning fighting in the sacred month. Say: 'fighting therein is a grave (matter); but to prevent access to Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, to expel its members, and polytheism are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they make you renegades from your religion. If any of you turn back and die in unbelief, your works will be lost and you will go to Hell."
8. Qur'an 8:57-60 "So if you, gain dominance over them in war, disperse by the means of them and those behind them that perhaps they will be reminded. If you fear from a people betrayal, throw their treaty back to them, on equal terms. Indeed, Allah does not like traitors. And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip. Lo! they cannot escape. And make ready against them all you can of power, including steeds of war to threaten the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others besides whom, you may not know but whom Allah does know. And whatever you shall spend in the Cause of Allah shall be repaid unto you, and you shall not be treated unjustly."
9. Qur'an 9:123 "O believers! Fight the unbelievers who hem you in, to let them now how strong you are; you should know that Allah is on the side of the Godfearing."
10. Qur'an 8:74-5 "But those who have believed and emigrated and fought in the cause of Allah and those who gave shelter and aided - it is they who are the believers, truly. For them is forgiveness and noble provision. And those who afterwards believed and left their homes and strove along with you, they are of you; and those who are akin are nearer one to another in the ordinance of Allah. Lo! Allah is Knower of all things.”
11. Qur'an 47:31 "We shall put you to test until We know the valiant and the resolute among you, and test all that is said about you."
12. Qur'an 61:2-4 "O you who have believed, why do you say what you do not do? Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do. Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure."
13. Qur'an 4:74 "Let those who struggle in Allah's Cause sell this world's life for the hereafter. To him who fights in Allah's Cause, whether he is slain or victorious, We shall give him a reward."
14. Qur'an 4:75-76 "And what is [the matter] with you that you fight not in the cause of Allah and [for] the oppressed among men, women, and children who say, 'Our Lord, take us out of this city of oppressive people and appoint for us from Yourself a protector and appoint for us from Yourself a helper?' Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil. Lo! the devil's strategy is ever weak."
15. Qur'an 4:95 "Those of the believers who sit still, other than those who have a hurt, are not on an equality with those who strive in the way of Allah with their wealth and lives. Allah hath conferred on those who strive with their wealth and lives a rank above the sedentary. Unto each Allah hath promised good, but He hath bestowed on those who strive a great reward above the sedentary."
16. Qur'an 4:167 "Indeed, those who disbelieve and avert [people] from the way of Allah have certainly gone far astray."
17. Qur'an 47:20 "And those who believe say: If only a surah were revealed! But when a decisive surah is revealed and war is mentioned therein, thou seest those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with the look of men fainting unto death. Therefore woe unto them!"
18. Quran 9:91 "Not unto the weak nor unto the sick nor unto those who can find naught to spend is any fault if they are true to Allah and His messenger. Not unto the good is there any road of blame. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
19. Qur'an 9:122 "And it is not for the believers to go forth [to battle] all at once. For there should separate from every division of them a group [remaining] to obtain understanding in the religion and warn their people when they return to them that they might be cautious.”
20. Qur'an 47.35 "So do not weaken and call for peace while you are superior; and Allah is with you and will never deprive you of your deeds."
21. Qur'an 61:13-4 "And another blessing which ye love: help from Allah and present victory. Give good tidings to believers. O ye who believe! Be Allah's helpers, even as Jesus son of Mary said unto the disciples: Who are my helpers for Allah ? They said: We are Allah's helpers. And a party of the Children of Israel believed, while a party disbelieved. Then We strengthened those who believed against their foe, and they became the uppermost."
22. Qur'an 61:11 "Ye should believe in Allah and His messenger, and should strive for the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is better for you, if ye did but know."
23. Qur'an 3:157 "And if you are killed in the cause of Allah or die - then forgiveness from Allah and mercy are better than whatever they accumulate."
24. Qur'an 3:169 "Think not of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead. Nay, they live, finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord."
25. Qur'an 3:172 "Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Messenger, even after being wounded, those who do right and ward off have a great reward."
26. Qur'an 47:4-11 "So, when you meet, those who disbelieve smite at their necks till when you have killed and wounded many of them, then bind a bond firmly upon them. Thereafter, either for generosity, or ransom, until the war lays down its burden. Thus, but if it had been Allah's Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them. But, in order to test you, some with others. But those who are killed in the Way of Allah, He will never let their deeds be lost, He will guide them and improve their condition. And admit them to Paradise which He has made known to them. O you who believe! If you help Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm. But those who disbelieve - for them is misery, and He will waste their deeds. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them? Allah brought utter destruction on them, and similar fates await those who reject Allah. That is because Allah is patron of those who believe, and because the disbelievers have no patron."
27. Qur'an 25:52 "And do not share among the unbelievers, but commit a striving against them."
28. Qur'an 8:72 "Lo! those who believed and left their homes and strove with their wealth and their lives for the cause of Allah, and those who took them in and helped them: these are protecting friends one of another."
29. Qur'an 29:69 "As for those who strive in Us, We surely guide them to Our paths, and lo! Allah is with the good."
30. Qur'an 9:5 "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
31. Qur'an 9:19 "Count ye the slaking of a pilgrim's thirst and tendance of the Inviolable Place of Worship as (equal to the worth of) him who believeth in Allah and the Last Day, and striveth in the way of Allah?"
32. Qur'an 9:73 "O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end."
33. Qur'an 9:24-7 "Say: If your fathers, and your sons, and your brethren, and your wives, and your tribe, and the wealth ye have acquired, and merchandise for which ye fear that there will no sale, and dwellings ye desire are dearer to you than Allah and His messenger and striving in His way: then wait till Allah bringeth His command to pass. Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk. Allah hath given you victory on many fields and on the day of Huneyn, when ye exulted in your multitude but it availed you naught, and the earth, vast as it is, was straitened for you; then ye turned back in flight; Then Allah sent His peace of reassurance down upon His messenger and upon the believers, and sent down hosts ye could not see, and punished those who disbelieved. Such is the reward of disbelievers. Then afterward Allah will relent toward whom He will; for Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
34. Qur'an 48:15-19 "Those who were left behind will say, when ye set forth to capture booty: Let us go with you. They fain would change the verdict of Allah. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Ye shall not go with us. Thus hath Allah said beforehand. Then they will say: Ye are envious of us. Nay, but they understand not, save a little. Say to those who remained behind of the bedouins, "You will be called to [face] a people of great military might; you may fight them, or they will submit. So if you obey, Allah will give you a good reward; but if you turn away as you turned away before, He will punish you with a painful punishment.' There is not upon the blind any guilt or upon the lame any guilt or upon the ill any guilt [for remaining behind]. And whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger - He will admit him to gardens beneath which rivers flow; but whoever turns away - He will punish him with a painful punishment. Certainly was Allah pleased with the believers when they pledged allegiance to you, [O Muhammad], under the tree, and He knew what was in their hearts, so He sent down tranquillity upon them and rewarded them with an imminent conquest, And much war booty which they will take. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise."
35. Qur'an 48:22 "And if those who disbelieve join battle with you they will take to flight, and afterward they will find no protecting friend nor helper."
36. Qur'an 48:24 "And He it is Who hath withheld men's hands from you, and hath withheld your hands from them, in the valley of Mecca, after He had made you victors over them. Allah is Seer of what ye do."
37. Qur'an 2:216 "Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you; but it may happen that ye hate a thing which is good for you, and it may happen that ye love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, ye know not."
38. Qur'an 2:190-95 "Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. nd fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers. The forbidden month for the forbidden month, and forbidden things in retaliation. And one who attacketh you, attack him in like manner as he attacked you. Observe your duty to Allah, and know that Allah is with those who ward off (evil). Spend your wealth for the cause of Allah, and be not cast by your own hands to ruin; and do good. Lo! Allah loveth the beneficent."
39. Qur'an 2:224 "Fight in the way of Allah, and know that Allah is Hearer, Knower."
40. Qur'an 4:84-5 "So fight (O Muhammad) in the way of Allah Thou art not taxed (with the responsibility for anyone) except thyself - and urge on the believers. Peradventure Allah will restrain the might of those who disbelieve. Allah is stronger in might and stronger in inflicting punishment. Whoso interveneth in a good cause will have the reward thereof, and whoso interveneth in an evil cause will bear the consequence thereof. Allah overseeth all things."
41. Qur'an 4:89-91 "They long that ye should disbelieve even as they disbelieve, that ye may be upon a level (with them). So choose not friends from them till they forsake their homes in the way of Allah; if they turn back (to enmity) then take them and kill them wherever ye find them, and choose no friend nor helper from among them, Except those who seek refuge with a people between whom and you there is a covenant, or (those who) come unto you because their hearts forbid them to make war on you or make war on their own folk. Had Allah willed He could have given them power over you so that assuredly they would have fought you. So, if they hold aloof from you and wage not war against you and offer you peace, Allah alloweth you no way against them. Ye will find others who desire that they should have security from you, and security from their own folk. So often as they are returned to hostility they are plunged therein. If they keep not aloof from you nor offer you peace nor hold their hands, then take them and kill them wherever ye find them. Against such We have given you clear warrant."
42. Qur'an 4:101 "And when ye go forth in the land, it is no sin for you to curtail (your) worship if ye fear that those who disbelieve may attack you. In truth the disbelievers are an open enemy to you. And when thou (O Muhammad) art among them and arrangest (their) worship for them, let only a party of them stand with thee (to worship) and let them take their arms. Then when they have performed their prostrations let them fall to the rear and let another party come that hath not worshipped and let them worship with thee, and let them take their precaution and their arms. Those who disbelieve long for you to neglect your arms and your baggage that they may attack you once for all. It is no sin for you to lay aside your arms, if rain impedeth you or ye are sick. But take your precaution. Lo! Allah prepareth for the disbelievers shameful punishment."
43. Qur'an 4:104 "Relent not in pursuit of the enemy. If ye are suffering, lo! they suffer even as ye suffer and ye hope from Allah that for which they cannot hope. Allah is ever Knower, Wise."
44. Qur'an 4:161 "Lo! those who disbelieve and hinder (others) from the way of Allah, they verily have wandered far astray."
45. Qur'an 9:34-6 "O ye who believe! Lo! many of the (Jewish) rabbis and the (Christian) monks devour the wealth of mankind wantonly and debar (men) from the way of Allah. They who hoard up gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah, unto them give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom, on the day when it will (all) be heated in the fire of hell, and their foreheads and their flanks and their backs will be branded therewith (and it will be said unto them): Here is that which ye hoarded for yourselves. Now taste of what ye used to hoard. Lo! the number of the months with Allah is twelve months by Allah's ordinance in the day that He created the heavens and the earth. Four of them are sacred: that is the right religion. So wrong not yourselves in them. And wage war on all of the idolaters as they are waging war on all of you. And know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him)."
46. Qur'an 9:38-42 "Ye who believe! What aileth you that when it is said unto you: Go forth in the way of Allah, ye are bowed down to the ground with heaviness. Take ye pleasure in the life of the world rather than in the Hereafter? The comfort of the life of the world is but little in the Hereafter. If ye go not forth He will afflict you with a painful doom, and will choose instead of you a folk other than you. Ye cannot harm Him at all. Allah is Able to do all things. f ye help him not, still Allah helped him when those who disbelieve drove him forth, the second of two; when they two were in the cave, when he said unto his comrade: Grieve not. Lo! Allah is with us. Then Allah caused His peace of reassurance to descend upon him and supported him with hosts ye cannot see, and made the word of those who disbelieved the nethermost, while Allah's Word it was that became the uppermost. Allah is Mighty, Wise. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah! That is best for you if ye but knew."
47. Qur'an 9:44 "Those who believe in Allah and the Last Day ask no leave of thee lest they should strive with their wealth and their lives. Allah is Aware of those who keep their duty (unto Him)."
48. Qur'an 9:46-9 "And if they had wished to go forth they would assuredly have made ready some equipment, but Allah was averse to their being sent forth and held them back and it was said (unto them): Sit ye with the sedentary! Had they gone forth among you they had added to you naught save trouble and had hurried to and fro among you, seeking to cause sedition among you; and among you there are some who would have listened to them. Allah is Aware of evil- doers. Aforetime they sought to cause sedition and raised difficulties for thee till the Truth came and the decree of Allah was made manifest, though they were loth. Of them is he who saith: Grant me leave (to stay at home) and tempt me not. Surely it is into temptation that they (thus) have fallen. Lo! hell verily is all around the disbelievers."
49. Qur'an 8:66-8 "For the present Allah has made light your burden, and He knows that there is weakness in you; so if there are a hundred patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a thousand they shall overcome two thousand by Allah's permission, and Allah is with the patient. It is not fit for a prophet that he should take captives unless he has fought and triumphed in the land; you desire the frail goods of this world, while Allah desires (for you) the hereafter; and Allah is Mighty, Wise. Were it not for an ordinance from Allah that had already gone forth, surely there would have befallen you a great chastisement for what you had taken to."
50. Qur'an 4:141 "Those who wait [and watch] you. Then if you gain a victory from Allah , they say, "Were we not with you?" But if the disbelievers have a success, they say [to them], "Did we not gain the advantage over you, but we protected you from the believers?" Allah will judge between [all of] you on the Day of Resurrection, and never will Allah give the disbelievers over the believers a way [to overcome them]."
51. Qur'an 3:110 "You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient." (For explanation: Bukhari #4228)
52. Qur'an 5:54 "O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islam), Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Way of Allah, and never afraid of the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allah which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures' needs, All-Knower."
53. Qur'an 5:56 "And whoever is an ally of Allah and His Messenger and those who have believed - indeed, the party of Allah - they will be the predominant."
54. Qur'an 5:32-34 "For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth. The recompense of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and do mischief in the land is only that they shall be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet be cut off on the opposite sides, or be exiled from the land. That is their disgrace in this world, and a great torment is theirs in the Hereafter.Except those who repent before you have them in your power; so know that Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."
55. Qur'an 5:35 "O ye who believe! Be mindful of your duty to Allah, and seek the way of approach unto Him, and strive in His way in order that ye may succeed."
56. Qur'an 5:64 "And the Jews say, "The hand of Allah is chained." Chained are their hands, and cursed are they for what they say. Rather, both His hands are extended; He spends however He wills. And that which has been revealed to you from your Lord will surely increase many of them in transgression and disbelief. And We have cast among them animosity and hatred until the Day of Resurrection. Every time they kindled the fire of war [against you], Allah extinguished it. And they strive throughout the land [causing] corruption, and Allah does not like corrupters."
57. Qur'an 2:154 "And say not of those who are killed in the Way of Allah, "They are dead." Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not."
58. Qur'an 2:218 "Verily, those who have believed, and those who have emigrated (for Allah's Religion) and have striven hard in the Way of Allah, all these hope for Allah's Mercy. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful."
59. Qur'an 2:246 "Have you not considered the assembly of the Children of Israel after [the time of] Moses when they said to a prophet of theirs, "Send to us a king, and we will fight in the way of Allah?" He said, "Would you perhaps refrain from fighting if fighting was prescribed for you?" They said, "And why should we not fight in the cause of Allah when we have been driven out from our homes and from our children?" But when fighting was prescribed for them, they turned away, except for a few of them. And Allah is Knowing of the wrongdoers."
60. Qur'an 2:261-2 "The likeness of those who spend their wealth in Allah's way is as the likeness of a grain which groweth seven ears, in every ear a hundred grains. Allah giveth increase manifold to whom He will. Allah is All-Embracing, All-Knowing. Those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah and then do not follow up what they have spent with reminders [of it] or [other] injury will have their reward with their Lord, and there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve."
61. Qur'an 2:273 "(Charity is) for Fuqara (the poor), who in Allah's Cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot move about in the land (for trade or work). The one who knows them not, thinks that they are rich because of their modesty. You may know them by their mark, they do not beg of people at all. And whatever you spend in good, surely Allah knows it well."
62. Qur'an 3:13 "Already there has been for you a sign in the two armies which met - one fighting in the cause of Allah and another of disbelievers. They saw them [to be] twice their [own] number by [their] eyesight. But Allah supports with His victory whom He wills. Indeed in that is a lesson for those of vision."
63. Qur'an 3:17 "The steadfast, and the truthful, and the obedient, those who spend (and hoard not), those who pray for pardon in the watches of the night."
64. Qur'an 3:52 "But when Jesus felt [persistence in] disbelief from them, he said, "Who are my supporters for [the cause of] Allah?" The disciples said," We are supporters for Allah . We have believed in Allah and testify that we are Muslims [submitting to Him]."
65. Qur'an 3:92 "By no means shall you attain Al-Birr (Felicity), unless you spend (in Allah's Cause) of that which you love; and whatever of good you spend, Allah knows it well."
66. Qur'an 3:99 "Say: O People of the Scripture! Why drive ye back believers from the way of Allah, seeking to make it crooked, when ye are witnesses (to Allah's guidance)? Allah is not unaware of what ye do."
67. Qur'an 3:146 "And many a Prophet fought (in Allah's Cause) and along with him (fought) large bands of religious learned men. But they never lost heart for that which did befall them in Allah's Way, nor did they weaken nor degrade themselves. And Allah loves As-Sabirin (the patient ones)."
68. Qur'an 3:167-8 "And that He might know the hypocrites, unto whom it was said: Come, fight in the way of Allah, or defend yourselves. They answered: If we knew aught of fighting we would follow you. On that day they were nearer disbelief than faith. They utter with their mouths a thing which is not in their hearts. Allah is Best Aware of what they hide. Those who said of their brethren whilst they (themselves) held back: Had they obeyed us, they would not have been killed. Say: Then avert death from yourselves if you speak the truth."
69. Qur'an 3:195 "And their Lord responded to them, "Never will I allow to be lost the work of [any] worker among you, whether male or female; you are of one another. So those who emigrated or were evicted from their homes or were harmed in My cause or fought or were killed - I will surely remove from them their misdeeds, and I will surely admit them to gardens beneath which rivers flow as reward from Allah , and Allah has with Him the best reward."
70. Qur'an 4:100 "And whoever emigrates for the cause of Allah will find on the earth many [alternative] locations and abundance. And whoever leaves his home as an emigrant to Allah and His Messenger and then death overtakes him - his reward has already become incumbent upon Allah . And Allah is ever Forgiving and Merciful."
71. Qur'an 4:114 "There is no good in most of their secret talks save (in) him who orders Sadaqah (charity in Allah's Cause), or Ma'ruf (goodness), or conciliation between mankind, and he who does this, seeking the good Pleasure of Allah, We shall give him a great reward."
72. Qur'an 4:160 "For wrongdoing on the part of the Jews, We made unlawful for them [certain] good foods which had been lawful to them, and for their averting from the way of Allah many [people]."
73. Qur'an 8:15-19 "O ye who believe! when ye meet the Unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them. If any do turn his back to them on such a day - unless it be in a stratagem of war, or to retreat to a troop (of his own)- he draws on himself the wrath of Allah, and his abode is Hell,- an evil refuge (indeed)! It is not ye who slew them; it was Allah. when thou threwest (a handful of dust), it was not thy act, but Allah's: in order that He might test the Believers by a gracious trial from Himself: for Allah is He Who heareth and knoweth (all things). That, and also because Allah is He Who makes feeble the plans and stratagem of the Unbelievers. (O Unbelievers!) if ye prayed for victory and judgment, now hath the judgment come to you: if ye desist (from wrong), it will be best for you: if ye return (to the attack), so shall We. Not the least good will your forces be to you even if they were multiplied: for verily Allah is with those who believe!"
74. Qur'an 8:30 "Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah."
75. Qur'an 9:20 "Those who believe, and have left their homes and striven with their wealth and their lives in Allah's way are of much greater worth in Allah's sight. These are they who are triumphant."
76. Qur'an 16:110 "But verily thy Lord,- to those who leave their homes after trials and persecutions,- and who thereafter strive and fight for the faith and patiently persevere,- Thy Lord, after all this is oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."
77. Qur'an 3:142 "Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while Allah has not yet made evident those of you who fight in His cause and made evident those who are steadfast?"
78. Qur'an 47:1 "Those who disbelieve and avert [people] from the way of Allah - He will waste their deeds."
- Islamic Figures quotes about Jihad
- “Jihad is divided into four branches: to persuade people to be obedient to Allah; to prohibit them from sin and vice; to struggle (in the cause of Allah) sincerely and firmly on all occasions and to detest the vicious. Whoever persuades people to obey the orders of Allah provides strength to the believers; whoever dissuades them from vices and sins humiliates the unbelievers; whoever struggles on all occasions discharges all his obligations and whoever detests the vicious only for the sake of Allah, then Allah will take revenge on his enemies and will be pleased with Him on the Day of Judgment.”
- “Daily prayers are the best medium through which one can Seek the nearness to Allah. Hajj is Jihad for every weak person. For everything that you own there is Zakat, and Zakat of your body is fasting. The Jihad of a woman is to afford pleasant company to her husband.”
- Ali ibn Abi Thalib
- This is a matter of religion, not politics. When a Muslim land is occupied, Jihad becomes an individual duty for every man and woman, boy and girl. A woman goes out to Jihad without her husband's permission and a child without his father's permission.
- The Prophet Muhammad was sent from the beginning as a Mujaheed but he did not start fighting from the beginning, because Jihad does not only mean fighting. Fighting is a part of Jihad.
- In the jihad in the way of Allah, active combat is not always the role on the battlefield, nor can everyone fight in the front line. Just for one single battle preparations have often to be made for decades on end and the plans deeply laid, and while only some thousands fight in the front line there are behind them millions engaged in various tasks which, though small themselves, contribute directly to the supreme effort.
- Sayyid Abu Ala Maudoodi
- "It must now be obvious that the objective of the Islamic jihad is to eliminate the rule of an un-Islamic system, and establish in its place an Islamic system of state rule. Islam does not intend to confine his rule to a single state or a hand full of countries. The aim of Islam is to bring about a universal revolution. Although in the initial stages, it is incumbent upon members of the party of Islam to carry out a revolution in the state system of the countries to which they belong; their ultimate objective is none other than world revolution."
- Sayyid Abul' Ala Mawdudi, Jihad in Islam pp. 20
- "Islam wishes to destroy all states and governments anywhere on the face of the earth which are opposed to the ideology and programme of Islam regardless of the country or the Nation which rules it. The purpose of Islam is to set up a state on the basis of its own ideology and programme, regardless of which nation assumes the role of the standard-bearer of Islam or the rule of which nation is undermined in the process of the establishment of an ideological Islamic State. Islam requires the earth—not just a portion, but the whole planet .... because the entire mankind should benefit from the ideology and welfare programme [of Islam] … Towards this end, Islam wishes to press into service all forces which can bring about a revolution and a composite term for the use of all these forces is ‘Jihad’. .... the objective of the Islamic ‘ Jihād’ is to eliminate the rule of an un-Islamic system and establish in its stead an Islamic system of state rule."
- Sayyid Abul Ala' Mawdudi, Jihad in Islam Pg. 6-7 and Pg. 22
- “The question is whether aggressive battle is by itself commendable or not. If it is, why should the Muslims stop simply because territorial expansion in these days is regarded as bad? And if it is not commendable, but deplorable, why did Islam not stop it in the past? … Aggressive Jihad is lawful even today for the purpose it was lawful in those days."
- Muhammad Taqi Usmani, Islam and Modernism Pg. 91
- Every Moslem on earth should unsheathe his sword and fight to liberate Palestine. The Jihad is not limited to Afghanistan. Jihad means fighting. You must fight in any place you can get. Whenever Jihad is mentioned in the Holy Book, it means the obligation to fight.