Talk:John Paul Jones
Urgh! Where was he when he said "I have not yet begun to fight!"?
- These should be provided with sources before being moved back into the article.
- An honorable Peace is and always was my first wish! I can take no delight in the effusion of human Blood; but, if this War should continue, I wish to have the most active part in it.
- If fear is cultivated it will become stronger, if faith is cultivated it will achieve mastery.
- It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win.
- Sign on, young man, and sail with me. The stature of our homeland is no more than the measure of ourselves. Our job is to keep her free. Our will is to keep the torch of freedom burning for all. To this solemn purpose we call on the young, the brave, the strong, and the free. Heed my call, Come to the sea. Come Sail with me.
- Whoever can surprise well must Conquer.
- Full Quote on the letter to Le Ray de Chaumont (16 November 1778)
I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way. You know, I believe, that this is not every one's intention. Therefore, buy a frigate that sails fast, and that is sufficiently large to carry twenty-six or twenty-eight guns, not less then twelve pounders, on one deck. I would rather be shot ashore than sent to sea in such things as the armed prizes I have described.
Pulled from "Paul Jones" by Hutchins Hapgood (1901) pg 45 http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28633/28633-h/28633-h.htm