Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to John Wooden.
- Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.
- Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
- Be quick but don't hurry.
- If you're not putting pressure on yourself you're cheating.
- I'm just a common man who is true to his beliefs.
- Happiness begins where selfishness ends.
- Sports don't build character, they reveal it.
- Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.
- The only place you will find success before work is in the dictionary.- also attributed to Vince Lombardi
- The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.
- Never mistake activity for achievement.
- The worst things you can do for the ones you love are the things they could and should do for themselves.
- Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are
- The four laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, and repetition. The goal is to create a correct habit that can be produced instinctively under great pressure. To make sure this goal was achieved, I created eight laws of learning: namely, explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition and repetition.
- Don't give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you.
- It's not so important who starts the game, but who finishes it.
- If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
- Winning breeds winning.
- I’ll have him out of there before he hit the floor.
Quote on "a perfect day"
You have not lived a perfect day, even though you have earned your money, unless you have done something for someone who will never be able to repay you.