Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To this day, I think of him (Cliff Burton) every day. It's really strange. It's something that pops into my head every day and I'm constantly reminded of it because he played such a large part in our lives.
- He was always against looking too pussy, he was always into just looking natural.
- I had seen Cliff in this band called Easy Street when I was like 16 years old at a club called International Cafe in San Francisco… It always stuck in my mind. This guy with wild, wild red hair flying all over the place and a Rickenbacker and a real distinct bass style and I thought to myself, "This guy is fuckin’ wild!"
- The only person who was able to figure out a time and write it on a piece of paper was Cliff. He had an immense knowledge of timing, musical harmonies and music theory in general.
- If we had hung it up, Cliff would've been so pissed off.
- In Denmark while recording Master Of Puppets, we hung out a lot. We’d go out and play poker for 8 hours straight after being up for 24 hours. We’d find a seafood restaurant that was open, eat raw oysters and drink beer, scream at the natives while we were drunk… that’s some of my best memories of him.
- Sometimes I'd get so drunk the strings on the guitar would play themselves.
- My guitars are my umbilical cord. They're directly wired into my head.
- I'm not into that whole Satanic thing. It's just something to fall back on if you don't have much imagination. Singing you fiftieth song about having lunch with Satan--I'm not into it. It's silly."
- At the audition the guys kept smiling at each other. I was like, "Do they think this is funny? Or are they perpetually happy people?
- We're the underdogs. We haven't had a Top 10 hit, and we look like a bunch of bums out there. Amidst all this glam and this huge production, we're going to stick out. But that's what we're here for--and that's what put us here in the first place.