Jump to navigation Jump to search
Note: Most of the attributed quotes below are unverified.
- People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president's. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are.
- What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because it deems it necessary?
- I am a great mayor. I am an upstanding Christian man. I am an intelligent man. I am a deeply educated man. I am a humble man.
- I am one of those mayors whose management style is to allow free and unlimited debate, to a point.
- The laws of this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist.
- I am Mayor For Life.
- The brave men who died in Vietnam, more than 100% of which were black, were the ultimate sacrifice.
- I promise you a police car on every sidewalk.
- I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less.
- I am making this trip to Africa because Washington is an international city, just like Tokyo, Nigeria or Israel. As mayor, I am an international symbol. Can you deny that to Africa?
- The Lord Giveth, and the Lord Taketh Away
- Barry quoting Job 1:21 to explain his plan for snow removal after a 1996 snow storm that crippled Washington, DC.
- "... this is from the Wash Post, if my memory holds, probably not the former mayor: ‘Mayor Barry’s snow removal plan is Biblical: what the Lord giveth, the Lord will take away."
- "The Lord brought the snow, the Lord will take it away." 
- "Mayor Marion Barry once enunciated his stunningly simple snow removal plan. Hey, it'll melt. "
- "Barry’s snow removal strategy could be summed up in one word – spring"
- He is more corrupt than me! (in reference to the current mayor at the time, Adrian Fenty.)