Jump to navigation Jump to search
- People first abandon reason, and then become obstinate; and the deeper they are in error the more angry they are.
- An obstinate man does not hold opinions, but they hold him.
- Most other passions have their periods of fatigue and rest, their suffering and their cure; but obstinacy has no resource, and the first wound is mortal.
- Narrowness of mind is often the cause of obstinacy; we do not easily believe beyond what we see.
- Obstinacy and vehemency in opinion are the surest proofs of stupidity.