Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Optimism.
- People ask me, "Are you an optimist?" I say "I hope so!"
- Bill Bailey, "Part Troll" stand-up tour (2004)
- The place where optimism most flourishes is the lunatic asylum.
- I find nothing more depressing than optimism.
- Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope.
- Optimism is true moral courage.
- Humans are, on net balance, builders rather than destroyers.
- Optimism is cowardice.
- The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come.
- Optimism is not a choice, it's a belief.
- August Burns Red (band)
- A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
- Herm Albright
- Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.
- I am neither an optimist nor pessimist, but a possibilist.
- Optimists think badly, but live well.
- Jerry boy, why do you have to paint everything so black? Suppose you got hit by a truck. Suppose the stock market crashes. Suppose Mary Pickford divorces Douglas Fairbanks. Suppose the Dodgers leave Brooklyn!
- The Doctor: Where's your joy in life? Where's your optimism?
Romana: It opted out.
- Doctor Who, "The Armageddon Factor", Episode One.
- K9: Optimism: belief that everything will work out well. Irrational, bordering on insane.
- Doctor Who, "The Armageddon Factor", Episode One