Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Roy Jenkins.
- A substantial extension of public ownership is an essential prerequisite of greater equality of earned income.
- The first duty of a party of the left is to be radical in the context of the moment, to offer a prospect of continuing advance and to preserve the loyalty of those whose optimistic humanism makes them natural supporters.
- The permissive society has been allowed to become a dirty phrase. A better phrase is the civilised society.
- I am sure Mr. Heath thinks he is honest but I wish he didn't have to have his friends say it so often.
- We must not expect a full-scale peaceful revolution every time a Labour Government is elected.
- A social democratic party without deep roots in the working-class movement would quickly fade into an unrepresentative intellectual sect.
- There are always great dangers in letting the best be the enemy of the good.
- Each successive Labour government has been the most rapacious, doctrinaire and unpatriotic conspiracy to be seen this side of the Iron Curtain.
- The fact is that Harold Wilson is a person no one can like, a person without friends.
- The great disadvantage of our present electoral system is that it freezes the pattern of politics, and holds together the incompatible because everyone assumes that if a party splits it will be electorally slaughtered.