I moved this from "Simonides" to "Simonides of Keos" and then to Simonides of Ceos, to match the name of the Wikipedia article, and to make redirects ~ Kalki 17:41, 3 Dec 2004 (UTC)
- A man gains no possession better than a good woman, nothing more horrible than a bad one.
- Variant translation: Of earthly goods, the best is a good wife; A bad, the bitterest curse of human life.
- Difficult, say you? Difficult to be a man of virtue, truly good, shaped and fashioned without flaw in the perfect figure of four-squared excellence, in body and mind, in act and thought?
- It is hard to be truly excellent, four-square in hand and foot and mind, formed without blemish.
- The city is the teacher of the man.
- There is no better test of a man's work than time, which also reveals the thoughts which lay hidden in his breast.
- We count it death to falter, not to die.