another quote from sitting bull was " how can you own the land that the people walk on?" Sitting Bull & Crazy Horse
i took the liberty of wikilinking the lead section and using the term 'holy man' to refer to Sitting Bull (most sources on wikipedia cite this term, as do major biographies of Sitting Bull). i also added categories, some of which don't exist (but they ought to) to flesh out this, and i started adding sourced quotations. some of the quotations on the 'attributed' list are definitely sourceable, and i'm trying to track those down in the process of cleaning up Sitting Bull across a variety of projects. Poroubalous 04:03, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Sitting Bull (2017)
Crazy Horse (2018)
- I know Great Spirit is looking down upon me from above, and will hear what I say...
- The earth has received the embrace of the sun and we shall see the results of that love.
- He put in your heart certain wishes and plans; in my heart, he put other different desires.
- In my early days, I was eager to learn and to do things, and therefore I learned quickly.
- Each man is good in the sight of the Great Spirit.
- It is not necessary for eagles to be crows.
- Now that we are poor, we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die, we die defending our rights.
- What white man can say I ever stole his land or a penny of his money? Yet they say that I am a thief.
- What white woman, however lonely, was ever captive or insulted by me? Yet they say I am a bad Indian.
- What white man has ever seen me drunk? Who has ever come to me hungry and left me unfed? Who has seen me beat my wives or abuse my children? What law have I broken?
- Is it wrong for me to love my own? Is it wicked for me because my skin is red? Because I am Sioux? Because I was born where my father lived? Because I would die for my people and my country?
- God made me an Indian.
- When I was a boy, the Sioux owned the world. The sun rose and set on their land; they sent ten thousand men to battle. Where are the warriors today? Who slew them? Where are our lands? Who owns them?
- You think I am a fool, but you are a greater fool than I am.
- If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man, he would have made me so in the first place.
- I was very sorry when I found out that your intentions were good and not what I supposed they were.
- If a man loses anything and goes back and looks carefully for it, he will find it.
- We did not give you our land; You stole it from us.