Jump to navigation Jump to search
- It's at night, when perhaps we should be dreaming, that the mind is most clear, that we are most able to hold all our life in the palm of our skull. I don't know if anyone has ever pointed out that great attraction of insomnia before, but it is so; the night seems to release a little more of our vast backward inheritance of instincts and feelings; as with the dawn, a little honey is allowed to ooze between the lips of the sandwich, a little of the stuff of dreams to drip into the waking mind. I wish I believed, as J. B. Priestley did, that consciousness continues after disembodiment or death, not forever, but for a long while. Three score years and ten is such a stingy ration of time, when there is so much time around. Perhaps that's why some of us are insomniacs; night is so precious that it would be pusillanimous to sleep all through it! A "bad night" is not always a bad thing.
- Brian W. Aldiss.
- Sleep has no favorites.
- Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.
- Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.
- There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.
- There is no sleep, it has never existed
- A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow
- Charlotte Brontë
- Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.
- Death, so called, is a thing which makes men weep: And yet a third of Life is passed in sleep.
- The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep
- E. Joseph Cossman
- Fatigue is the best pillow
- There will be sleeping enough in the grave
- "I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
- There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.
- Even where sleep is concerned, too much is a bad thing.'
- Most people are walking in their sleep; turn them around, start them in the opposite direction, and they wouldn't even know the difference.
- A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book.
- To achieve the impossible dream, try going to sleep
- Joan Klempner
- Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep
- Fran Lebowitz
- "Welcome is sleep, more welcome the sleep of stone
Whilst crime and shame continue in the land;
My happy fortune, not to see or hear;
Waken me not - in mercy, whisper low."
- When you say to a child 'Bedtime, it's bedtime now' that's not what the child hears. What the child hears is 'Go and lie down in the dark. For hours. And don't move. I'm locking the door now'
- "Sleep is the cousin of death."
- Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day.
- All men, whilst they are awake, are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own.
- "Now I lay me down to sleep / I pray the funk will make me freak / If I should die before I waked / Allow me Lord to rock out naked."
- I'm obsessed with sleep. I walk around all day going, Ooh, when am I gonna get some? What'll I be wearing when I get it? What position will I be in? I used to be able to go up to women and go, "Hi, you three alone?" Now I go, "Hi, d'you wanna take a nap?"
- Karen Ripley
- No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap.
- I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting.
- In Sleep we lie all naked and alone, in Sleep we are united at the heart of night and darkness, and we are strange and beautiful asleep; for we are dying the darkness and we know no death.