Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Steven Spielberg.
- Am I allowed to say I really wanted this?
- On winning the Best Director Oscar for Saving Private Ryan
- Before I go off and direct a movie I always look at 4 films. They tend to be: Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Searchers.
- Failure is inevitable. Success is elusive.
- I always like to think of the audience when I am directing. Because I am the audience.
- I don't drink coffee. I've never had a cup of coffee in my entire life; that's something you probably don't know about me. I've hated the taste since I was a kid.
- I have made almost as many films in England as I have in America. I will come back to England again and again.
- I think the real indicator that games have become a storytelling art form, will be when somebody confesses that they cried at level 17.
- I would love to see the British film industry get back on its feet again.
- Once a month the sky falls on my head, I come to, and I see another movie I want to make.
- The older I get, the more I look at movies as a moving miracle.
- Why pay a dollar for a bookmark? Why not use the dollar for a bookmark?
- With Star Wars, George put the butter back into the popcorn.
- The public has an appetite for anything about imagination - anything that is as far away from reality as is creatively possible.
- What I`m saying is that I believe in showmanship.
- You know, I don`t really do that much looking inside me when I`m working on a project. Whatever I am becomes what that film is. But I change; you change.
- After a scary movie about the world almost ending, we can walk into the sunlight and say, "Wow, everything`s still here. I`m OK!" We like to tease ourselves. Human beings have a need to get close to the edge and, when filmmakers or writers can take them to the edge, it feels like a dream where you`re falling, but you wake up just before you hit the ground.
- I`d rather direct than produce. Any day. And twice on Sunday.
- I`ve discovered I`ve got this preoccupation with ordinary people pursued by large forces.
- I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends` lives.
- If I weren`t a director, I would want to be a film composer.
- Times have changed. It`s like when the first 747 landed at Los Angeles international airport: everybody thought flying through the sky was the most greatest marvel they had ever seen - floating through the air, seemingly in slow motion. Today we never even look at 747s. They`re a dime a dozen and it`s that way with the blockbuster. If there was one blockbuster every three years, it meant a lot more than when you have a blockbuster every three weeks. It`s the job of each of these studios to market these movies as the must-see movie of the year, so they go after blockbuster status by creating a grand illusion. Sometimes they`ve got a real engine behind that grand illusion, meaning the movie is damned good and the audience will say they got their money`s worth. Other times, the audience comes on the promise of seeing something they`ve never ever seen before and it becomes just another sci-fi action yarn and they feel disappointed.
- I feel like I`ve been engaged to the British Empire since 1980 and tonight you have given me the ring knighthood.
- The person I enjoy working for more than anyone else is George Lucas. He`s the best boss I ever had because he`s the most talented boss I ever had.
- A lot of the films I`ve made probably could have worked just as well 50 years ago, and that`s just because I have a lot of old-fashion values.
- All of us every single year, we`re a different person. I don`t think we`re the same person all our lives.