Received this via OTRS Ticket:2012052510000386, reposted with permission:
> RE: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Strength
> The following quote is listed as "unsourced":
> Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and
strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows
for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most
hearts by the attraction of his own.
> A possible source is given as Life Thoughts, Gathered from the Extemporaneous
Discourses of Henry Ward Beecher, Edna Dean Proctor, ed., 1858
> as quoted in Wisdom for the Soul: Five Millennia of Prescriptions for Spiritual
Healing edited by Larry Chang, p 676
> See 
- I reviewed the 1858 edition of Life Thoughts scanned by GoogleBooks, and confirmed that the quoted passage appears on page 52. The punctuation is slightly different from that given by Chang. I added a citation to Life Thoughts in the article. ~ Ningauble (talk) 19:14, 12 July 2012 (UTC)
- Strength is Life. Weakness is Death.
- Many a man's strength is in opposition, and when he faileth, he grows out of use.
- Nothing has more strength than dire necessity.
- Physical strength can never permanently withstand the impact of spiritual force.
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
- Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
- Strength is a matter of the made-up mind.
- Strength is Happiness. Strength is itself victory. In weakness and cowardice there is no happiness. When you wage a struggle, you might win or you might lose. But regardless of the short-term outcome, the very fact of your continuing to struggle is proof of your victory as a human being.
- Strength lies not in defence but in attack.
- We acquire the strength we have overcome.
- A man can never know how strong he really is until he is beaten, torn, shattered...until he is broken beyond despair, on his knees in pain...and without even knowing how or why...stands back up.