Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Thornton Wilder. --Antiquary 18:55, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
- An incinerator is a writer's best friend.
- For what human ill does not dawn seem to be an alleviation?
- If I wasn't an actor, I'd be a secret agent.
- In advertising, not to be different is virtual suicide.
- It is very necessary to have markers of beauty left in a world seemingly bent on making the most evil ugliness.
- Life is an unbroken succession of false situations.
- Nature reserves the right to inflict upon her children the most terrifying jests.
- Providence has nothing good or high in store for one who does not resolutely aim at something high or good. A purpose is the eternal condition of success.
- Seek the lofty by reading, hearing and seeing great work at some moment every day.
- Where there is an unknowable there is a promise.