Jump to navigation Jump to search
- All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established.
- Often, the less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it.
- ...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty.
- In that the wisdom of the few becomes available to the many, there is progress in human affairs; without it, the static routine of tradition continues.
- Again men have been kept back as by a kind of enchantment from progress in science by reverence for antiquity, by the authority of men counted great in philosophy, and then by general consent.
- Traditionalists are pessimists about the future and optimists about the past.
- Tradition is an important help to history, but its statements should be carefully scrutinized before we rely on them.
- The bird that would soar above the plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings.
- People should think things out fresh and not just accept conventional terms and the conventional way of doing things.