Below moved here from the article. Some of this might belong in the "Pogo" article on en:wikipedia (linked at the article); not being quotes, it does not belong in wikiquote. The user signature also does not belong in the article; contributors are credited automatically in "page history"; articles are not signed. -- Infrogmation 15:27, 18 May 2004 (UTC)
- Albert Alligator - blustering and cheerful, always chomping a dead cigar (sometimes attempts to light a sausage)
- Churchill (Churchy) LaFemme - superstitious mud turtle
- Howland Owl - pedantic know-it-all (a.k.a. Dr Howland)
- Okefenokee Swamp - home to Pogo and friends
- Pogo Possum - Our hero, modest and profound, likes to fish
- Beauregard Hound Dog - loyal and true, Man's best friend
- Porkypine (Porky) - shy misanthropic porcupine
- Deacon Mushrat - educated muskrat, the hypocritical spiritual leader
- Mam'selle Hepzibah - coquettish skunk, heart throb for Churchy and Porky
- Miz Beaver - matron in an apron sporting a corn cob pipe
- Mole MacCarony - a near-sighted All-American birdwatcher
- P.T. Bridgeport - con-artist bear caricature of P.T. Barnum
- Sarcophagus Macabre - mortician vulture
- Seminole Sam - the sly fox; a snake-oil salesman
- Simple J. Malarkey - polecat/lynx caricature of Senator Joseph McCarthy
- Tammananny Tiger
- Wiley Catt - gun totin' bob cat
- Alf and Reggie
- Aunt Granny’s Bitter Brittle Root
- Auntie Fudgenut
- Auntie Goose
- Baleful Baxter - a wood tick
- Baldwin, Porky’s uncle
- Basher the kangaroo
- Basil McTabolism - the pulse beatnik
- Bemildred - one of the bats
- Blue Muslin ants of the XXX
- Bonfire Boys
- Boy Bird Watchers
- Bulldog - caricature of J.Edgar Hoover
- Bumbazine - a small black boy dropped from the original strip
- Bun Rabbit
- Butch the cat
- Camp Siberia members
- Choo-Choo the mailman duck
- Clifford the Crawfish
- Congersman Jumphrey Frog
- Doc Noah
- Doctor Howland - see Howland Owl
- Dogslife reporters
- Fenster Moop
- Fido the Liberator Goat - caricature of Fidel Castro
- Fort Mudge
- Fremount the boy bug
- Grundoon the baby groundhog
- Gai-Tsu - Chinese chick hatched from a thousand-year-old egg
- Gwhan Shi Foah
- Herm Bandwaggin
- Herman the half-hatched egg
- Hogarth the hornet
- Igor Beaver
- Indian Charlie - Malarkey's sidekick, caricature of Richard Nixon
- Kluck Klams - caricature of Ku Klux Klan
- Loan Arranger
- Mailman duck - see Choo-Choo
- Miggle’s Emporium
- Miz Flea
- Miz Groun’squirrel
- Miz Limpkin
- Miz Rackety-Coon
- Miz Weevil
- Mouldy Mort the frog
- Mr Pig - The Notorious International Pig - caricature of Nikita Khrushchev
- Newslife reporters
- Nostril O’Toole
- Pavlov - the two-headed Russian dog
- Picayune Frog
- Rackety-coon chile
- Ripe-Dan Winkle
- Roogey Batoon - New Orleans pelican
- Sam - teapot-shaped spider - caricature of Richard Nixon
- Senator Bulfrog
- Sis Boombah - a Rhode Island Red Hen
- Snavely - the snake
- Solid MacHogany - a smalltime ham
- Tacky - the porcupine tad
- The angle worm
- The Australian kangaroo - “The Basher‿
- The bats - pollsters by the names of Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (sometimes Bemildred)
- The Boss
- The Chief
- The cowbirds
- The gentleman ladybug
- The hyena, in uniform - caricature of Spiro Agnew
- The International Pig as Sam Nikolaus
- The Jack Acid Society (Deacon and Mole) - caricature of the John Birch Society
- The ladybug
- The Prince of Pompadoodle
- The skunk-child
- Uncle Antlers
- Uncle Beanfellow and Cleo
- Unknowns Anonymous
- Wee Willie the Jayhawk
- Willow McWisper
- worm chile
Pogo Book List
1. POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1951, Softcover 2. I GO POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1952, Softcover 3. UNCLE POGO SO-SO STORIES, Simon & Schuster, 1953, Softcover 4. THE POGO PAPERS, Simon & Schuster, 1954, Softcover 5. THE POGO STEPMOTHER GOOSE, Simon & Schuster, 1954, Softcover 6. THE INCOMPLEAT POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1954, Softcover 7. THE POGO PEEK-A-BOOK, Simon & Schuster, 1955, Softcover 8. POTLUCK POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1955, Softcover 9. SUNDAY BOOK, Simon & Schuster, 1956, Softcover 10. THE POGO PARTY, Simon & Schuster, 1956, Softcover 11. SONGS OF THE POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1956, Hardcover 12. POGO'S SUNDAY PUNCH, Simon & Schuster, 1957, Softcover 13. POSITIVELY POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1957, Softcover 14. THE POGO SUNDAY PARADE, Simon & Schuster, 1958, Softcover 15. G.O. FIZZICKLE POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1958, Softcover 16. TEN EVER-LOVIN' BLUE-EYED YEARS WITH POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1959, Hardcover 17. THE POGO SUNDAY BRUNCH, Simon & Schuster, 1959, Softcover 18. POGO EXTRA ELECTION SPECIAL, Simon & Schuster, 1960, Softcover 19. BEAU POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1960, Softcover 20. GONE POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1961, Softcover 21. POGO A LA SUNDAE, Simon & Schuster, 1961, Softcover 22. INSTANT POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1962, Softcover 23. THE JACK ACID SOCIETY BLACK BOOK, Simon & Schuster, 1962, Softcover 24. THE POGO PUCE STAMP CATALOG, Simon & Schuster, 1963, Softcover 25. DECK US ALL WITH BOSTON CHARLIE, Simon & Schuster, 1963, Softcover 26. POGO FOR PRESIDENT, Crest Books, 1964, Softcover 27. THE RETURN OF POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1965, Softcover 28. THE POGO POOP BOOK, Simon & Schuster, 1966, Softcover 29. PREHYSTERICAL POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1967, Softcover 30. EQUAL TIME FOR POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1968, Softcover 31. POGO: PRISONER OF LOVE, Simon & Schuster, 1969, Softcover 32. IMPOLLUTABLE POGO, Simon & Schuster, 1970, Softcover 33. POGO: WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US, Simon & Schuster, 1972, Softcover 34. POGO'S BATS AND BELLES FREE, Simon & Schuster, 1976, Softcover 35. POGO'S BODY POLITICS, Simon & Schuster, 1976, Softcover 36. THE POGO CANDIDATURE, Sheed, Andrews & McMeel, 1976, Softcover
--Jwalling 03:25, 18 May 2004 (UTC)
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Walt Kelly. --Antiquary 17:06, 13 September 2009 (UTC)
- Reciprovocation is the spites of life.
- Romeo wasn't bilked in a day.
- I carry the hose.
- Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing.
- Given three strikes, the truth will out.
- Having lost sight of our objectives, we redoubled our efforts.
- (taken from the George Santayana quote, "Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim.")
- I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
- If you wants to get elected president, you've got to think up some memorable homily so's school kids can be pestered into memorizin' it, even if they don't know what it means.
- In like a dimwit, out like a light.
- Knowledge and meaning can be too earnestly sought after. for the boy who, blind or helpless, can lie around and find moonlight and dancing girls going about their business in the secrecy of his mind alone.
- Learn to laugh at your troubles and you'll never run out of things to laugh at.
- Look alive. Here comes a buzzard. ~ Miz Beaver
- My bug brain is ever whirrin.
- Pogo is "the reasonably patient, soft-hearted, naive, friendly little person we all think we are"
- The Now is alive with a curious life which defies the descriptive powers of such divers as swim ahead of the swine in search of pearls.
- We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
- Variant: We are surrounded by insurmountable opportunity.
- We gotta make democracy safe for the world.
- What's good about March? Well, for one thing, it keeps February and April apart.
- Women aren't as mere as they used to be.
- If I could only write, I'd write a nasty letter to the mayor, if he could only read.
- A parade is the worst form of transportation known to man.
I’m against all extremes
"I’m against all extremes: the extreme right, the extreme left, and the extreme middle."
--188.8.131.52 13:15, 1 December 2016 (UTC)
The links on "www.pogopossum.com" and several others are broken. A quick Google didn't come up with obvious replacements. I'm not a regular editor here, so I'm not sure what policy is on a dead link. I've tagged them. N.B. "igopogo" came up with a "403-Forbidden" error, but I guess that qualifies as dead too! The ones not tagged I've checked; they're OK as of even date. Wikipedia link fixed, was going to a dab page. --D A Patriarche (talk) 19:26, 10 August 2019 (UTC)