Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty
Apparently, wikipedia:John Philpot Curran said the same thing before -- de:VWM 18.104.22.168 23:19, 27 April 2008 (UTC)
- Christianity is a battle not a dream.
- Governments exist to protect the rights of minorities. The loved and the rich need no protection: they have many friends and few enemies.
- If you want to be an orator, first get your great cause.
- Insurrection of thought always precedes insurrection of arms.
- It is only liquid currents of thought that move men and the world.
- Many know how to flatter, few know how to praise.
- Politics is but the common pulse-beat, of which revolution is the fever-spasm.
- Seldom ever was any knowledge given to keep, but to impart; the grace of this rich jewel is lost in concealment.
- The best education in the world is that got by struggling to get a living.
- The heart is the best reflective thinker.
- The heritage of the past is the seed that brings forth the harvest of the future. (Inscription written on the National Archives building in Washington D.C.)
- To be as good as our fathers we must be better, imitation is not discipleship.
- To hear some men talk of the government, you would suppose that Congress was the law of gravitation, and kept the planets in their places.
- Today it is not big business that we have to fear. It is big government.
- Two kinds of men generally best succeed in political life; men of no principle, but of great talent; and men of no talent, but of one principle - that of obedience to their superiors.
- We live under a government of men and morning newspapers.
- What gunpowder did for war the printing press has done for the mind.
- What is defeat? Nothing but education. Nothing but the first step to something better.
- Write on my gravestone: "Infidel, Traitor.", infidel to every church that compromises with wrong; traitor to every government that oppresses the people.