Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to William Cowper. --Antiquary 20:16, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
- A self-made man? Yes, and one who worships his creator.
- Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
- Existence is a strange bargain.
Life owes us little; we owe it everything.
The only true happiness comes from squandering ourselves for a purpose.
- Also attributed to John Mason Brown.
- It chills my blood to hear the blest Supreme
Rudely appealed to on each trifling theme.
- Ye who, borne about in chariots and sedans know no fatigue but that of idleness.