Taqiya (تقیة, taqiyyah/ taqīyah, literally "prudence, fear, caution") is an Islamic term referring to precautionary dissimulation or denial of religious belief and practice in the face of persecution. This practice is emphasized in Shia Islam whereby adherents are permitted to conceal their religion when under threat of persecution or compulsion. However, it is also permitted in Sunni Islam under certain circumstances.
|This Islam-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Sorted alphabetically by author or source
- Any one who, after accepting faith in Allah, utters Unbelief, — except under compulsion, his heart remaining firm in Faith — but such as open their breast to Unbelief, on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs will be a dreadful Penalty.
- Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah: except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them. But Allah cautions you (To remember) Himself; for the final goal is to Allah.
- Taqiyya is a well-known term in the Islamic world. It means that muslims who do not live in a muslim country (yet) often don't say everything they really think. But at the moment that the Islamic culture gets stronger there will also be muslims, who are now being seen as moderate, who follow along in the compulsive strictness of the Koran and its ideology. The term comes from the muslim world itself and should therefore not be underestimated. Therefore it is too easy to say that there are enough muslims who participate in our society. It does not say anything about how they are going to behave once there are more muslims represented in The Netherlands... The more dominant the Islamic culture in The Netherlands will be, the more distant we will become from anything that has to do with freedom, tolerance and equality. Because the Islam – in contrast with other religions – will not accept anything else but the Islam. The society will change for the worse. It is no 'clash of civilisations', but a collision between culture and barbarism and retardedness.
- Geert Wilders, 'Geert Wilders in interview Nu.nl (11 September 2008)
- Islam uses the notion of taqiyya, where Muslims, consciously or unconsciously, hide their true opinion as they are not in the majority. If I ask a Muslim in the street what he thinks about homosexuality, he will either remain silent or give a politically correct answer. As the number of Muslims increases, even when they are not violent, the ideology of Islam will become more prominent and society will change.
- Al-Taqiyya/Dissimulation, from Al-Islam.Org (Shi'a site)
- Innovations in Taqiyyah by Mufti of Sipaa Sahaba (Shi'a site).
- The Shi'a concept of Taqiyyah (Shi'a site)
- Regarding Shiite Muslims A Sunni site with an opinion on Taqiyya (middle of the page)
- Shaikh Dimashqia rejects Taqiyya as a Sunni doctrine Requires RealPlayer
- The Taqiyya Libel Against Muslims- by Sheila Musaji, editor of The American Muslim * (Muslim Perspective)