The Book of Eli
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Some will kill to have it. He will kill to protect it. (taglines)
- Stay on the path. It's not your concern. Stay on the path. It's not your concern.
- Dear Lord, thank you for giving me the strength and the conviction to complete the task you entrusted to me. Thank you for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path, and keeping me resolute when all around seemed lost. Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good I may have done, and I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I made. Please watch over her as you have watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest. I am so very tired. But I go now to my rest, at peace, knowing that I have done right in my time on this Earth, I fought the good fight. I finished the race. I kept the faith.
- Cursed be the ground, for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth, for us, for out of the ground we were taken for the dust that we are... and to the dust we shall return.
- [about his Bible] In all these years I've been carrying it and reading it every day... I got so caught up in keeping it safe that I forgot to live by what I learned from it.
- I know what I heard. I know what I hear. I know I'm not crazy.
- [When Carnegie confronts him and demands he hand the Bible over to him] I always believed there was a place where this book belonged, where it was needed. But I haven't found it yet.
- [repeated line] Read it!
- I need that book. I want that book!
- [about the Bible] It's a weapon! A weapon aimed right at the hearts and minds of the weak and the desperate.
- [Seeing that Eli's Bible is actually in Braille] It can't be...it can't be...it's IMPOSSIBLE! IT CAN'T BE!
- Have you ever thought that maybe you were lost?
- I didn't think you would ever give up the book. I thought it was important to you.
- You said I could come with you if I took you to the water!
- You worked so hard for that book. You sacrificed so much. So many men... more than you could spare. Now all those people who were too scared to even say your name, they're downstairs tearing up the bar right now. Did you know that? And there's no one there to stop them.
- I can't imagine what it must feel like, having what you want so close, and it might as well be a million miles away.
- [about her blindness] I was like this since birth. I was lucky... I was already used to living like this.
- [about Eli] It's like he's protected somehow, like there's nothing that can touch him.
- Leader: What are you standing around for? kiss him
- Hijacker: What'd he say?
- Eli: He's in shock. I think he meant "Kill him."
- Solara: Do you remember what it was like? I mean, in the world before?
- Eli: People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious, what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.
- Eli: [seeing the grave yard in the backyard of the homestead] We gotta go now.
- Solara: They killed all these people.
- Eli: Not just killed them. They ate them.
- Solara: Her hands... her hands were shaking.
- Eli: Too much human meat. Let's go!
- Eli: I walk by faith, not by sight.
- Solara: What does that mean?
- Eli: It means that you know something even if you don't know something.
- Solara: That doesn't make any sense.
- Eli: It doesn't have to make sense. It's faith. It's faith. It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on, you understand?
- Solara: Is that from your book?
- Eli: No, its uh...Johnny Cash Live "At Folsom Prison."
- Solara: What?
- Martz: That was my cat.
- Eli: Fine specimen.
- Martz: I saw you knock him off the bar.
- Eli: No, I kind of shooed him. I didn't really knock him.
- Martz: You raised your hand at him.
- Eli: Won't happen again, I promise you.
- Bartender: Hey Martz, how 'bout another drink, huh?
- Martz: That cat has been coming in here for two years. It's got more rights to be in here than you.
- Eli: I don't want any trouble.
- Martz: Well, that's too bad. [Raising his fist at Eli] Cuz you're about to-
- [Eli grabs Martz's arm, and slams his head down to the table]
- Eli: I know who you are. A murderer of innocent travelers around the world. You are going to be held accountable for the things you've done. Do you know that? Do you?
- Solara: I want to come with you.
- Eli: No, you don't.
- Solara: ... I hate it here.
- Eli: Then change it.
- [Eli and Solara reach Lombardi's sanctuary. A guard holds them at gunpoint. Eli and Solara hold their hands up.]
- Guard: That's far enough! What's your business here?
- Eli: My name is Eli. I have a King James Bible in my possession.
- Guard: Remain where you are. Don't make any sudden moves, or you will be fired upon.
- Claudia: Where is Solara?
- Carnegie: [gesturing to the window] Out there. Her choice. I tried to bring her back...she refused.
- Claudia: What did you do that she refused?
- Carnegie: [Pushes the Bible forward toward her] Read it.
- Claudia: What did you do to my daughter?
- Carnegie: Read it!
- Claudia: [Slams her hands down on the Bible] What did you do to my daughter?!
- [Claudia feels the Braille print. She smiles, realizing Carnegie's irony.]
- Carnegie: You can start anytime.
- Claudia: I'm sorry, it's been so long. I don't remember.
- Carnegie: You have to.
- Claudia: Do I have to? Really?
- Carnegie: No, no, you have to. Please.
- Claudia: Your leg.
- Carnegie: It doesn't hurt anymore.
- Claudia: I can smell it. [Places her hand on Carnegie's forehead] You worked so hard for that book. You sacrificed so much. So many men... more than you could spare. [Leans forward, almost nose-to-nose with Carnegie] Now all those people who were too scared to even say your name, they're downstairs tearing up the bar right now. Did you know that? And there's no one there to stop them. [Shoves his head back] And you're feverish. I can't imagine what it must feel like, having what you want so close, and it might as well be a million miles away.
- Carnegie: Stop it! [Wathing Claudia leave] Are you leaving me? Claudia? Claudia! Claudia!
- [Carnegie gets up and follows after Claudia. He then walks out onto the patio looking over the bar, seeing for himself everything Claudia told him.]
- Lombardi: You don't have to leave, you know. You're more than welcome to stay. You'll be perfectly safe here.
- Solara: Thank you. But this is something I have to do.
- Lombardi: Where will you go?
- Solara: [thoughtfully as she holds the sword] Home.
- Some will kill to have it. He will kill to protect it.
- Deliver us
- Religion is power
- Believe in hope
- We walk by faith not by sight
- Denzel Washington - Eli
- Gary Oldman - Carnegie
- Mila Kunis - Solara
- Ray Stevenson - Redridge
- Jennifer Beals - Claudia
- Evan Jones - Martz
- Joe Pingue - Hoyt
- Frances de la Tour - Martha
- Michael Gambon - George
- Tom Waits - Engineer
- Chris Browning - Hijack Leader
- Richard Cetrone - Hijacker
- Lateef Crowder - Hijacker / Construction Thug
- Keith Davis - Hijacker
- Don Tai - Hijacker