The Book of Eli
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Book of Eli is a 2010 film that is a post-apocalyptic story of a lone man who fights his way across America in order to protect The Bible, that Carnegie, the antagonist, believes holds the secrets to gaining power.
Some will kill to have it. He will kill to protect it. (taglines)
- Stay on the path. It's not your concern. Stay on the path. It's not your concern.
- Dear Lord, thank you for giving me the strength and the conviction to complete the task you entrusted to me. Thank you for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path, and keeping me resolute when all around seemed lost. Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good I may have done, and I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I made. Please watch over her as you have watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest. I am so very tired. But I go now to my rest, at peace, knowing that I have done right in my time on this Earth, I fought the good fight. I finished the race. I kept the faith.
- Cursed be the ground, for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth, for us, for out of the ground we were taken for the dust that we are... and to the dust we shall return.
- [about his Bible] In all these years I've been carrying it and reading it every day... I got so caught up in keeping it safe that I forgot to live by what I learned from it.
- I know what I heard. I know what I hear. I know I'm not crazy.
- [repeated line] Read it!
- I need that book. I want that book!
- [about the Bible] It's a weapon! A weapon aimed right at the hearts and minds of the weak and the desperate.
- Have you ever thought that maybe you were lost?
- I didn't think you would ever give up the book. I thought it was important to you.
- You said I could come with you if I took you to the water!
- You worked so hard for that book. You sacrificed so much. So many men... more than you could spare. Now all those people who were too scared to even say your name, they're downstairs tearing up the bar right now. Did you know that? And there's no one there to stop them.
- [about her blindness] I was like this since birth. I was lucky... I was already used to living like this.
- [about Eli] It's like he's protected somehow, like there's nothing that can touch him.
- Leader: What are you standing around for? kiss him
- Hijacker: What'd he say?
- Eli: He's in shock. I think he meant "Kill him."
- Claudia: Where is Solara?
- Carnegie: [gesturing to the window] Out there. Her choice. I tried to bring her back... she refused.
- Claudia: What did you do that she refused?
- Solara: Do you remember what it was like? I mean, in the world before?
- Eli: People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious, what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.
- Eli: [seeing the grave yard in the backyard of the homestead] We got to go. Now.
- Solara: They killed all these people?
- Eli: Not just killed. They ate them.
- Solara: Her hands... her hands were shaking.
- Eli: Too much human meat. Let's go!
- Eli: I walk by faith, not by sight.
- Solara: What does that mean?
- Eli: It means that you know something even if you don't know something.
- Solara: That doesn't make any sense.
- Eli: It doesn't have to make sense. It's faith. It's faith. It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on, you understand?
- Solara: Is that from your book?
- Eli: No, its uh...Johnny Cash Live "At Folsom Prison."
- Solara: What?
- Martz: That was my cat.
- Eli: Fine specimen.
- Martz: I saw you knock him off the bar.
- Eli: No, I kind of shooed him. I didn't really knock him.
- Martz: You raised your hand at him.
- Eli: Won't happen again, I promise you.
- Solara: I want to come with you.
- Eli: No, you don't.
- Solara: ... I hate it here.
- Eli: Then change it.
- Lombardi: You don't have to leave, you know. You're more than welcome to stay. You'll be perfectly safe here.
- Solara: Thank you. But this is something I have to do.
- Lombardi: Where will you go?
- Solara: [thoughtfully as she holds the sword] Home.
- Some will kill to have it. He will kill to protect it.
- Deliver us
- Religion is power
- Believe in hope
- We walk by faith not by sight
- Denzel Washington - Eli
- Gary Oldman - Carnegie
- Mila Kunis - Solara
- Ray Stevenson - Redridge
- Jennifer Beals - Claudia
- Evan Jones - Martz
- Joe Pingue - Hoyt
- Frances de la Tour - Martha
- Michael Gambon - George
- Tom Waits - Engineer
- Chris Browning - Hijack Leader
- Richard Cetrone - Hijacker
- Lateef Crowder - Hijacker / Construction Thug
- Keith Davis - Hijacker
- Don Tai - Hijacker