The Boys from Brazil (film)
- [about Mengele] He was the chief doctor of Auschwitz, who killed 2.5 million people, experimented with children - Jewish and non-Jewish - using twins mostly, injecting blue dyes into their eyes to make them acceptable Aryans... amputating limbs and organs from thousands without anesthetics.
- You're not a guard now, madame! You are a prisoner! I may leave here today empty handed. But you... are not going anywhere.
Dr. Josef Mengele
- Do you know what I saw on the television in my motel room at one o'clock this morning? Films of Hitler! They are showing films about the war! The movement! People are fascinated! The time is ripe! Adolf Hitler is alive! [Takes photo album and places it on his lap] This album is full of pictures of him. Bobby Wheelock and ninety-three other boys are exact genetic duplicates of him, bred entirely from his cells. He allowed me to take half a liter of his blood and a cutting of skin from his ribs. [laughs] We were in a Biblical frame of mind on the twenty-third of May 1943, at the Berghof. He had denied himself children because he knew that no son could flourish in the shadow of so godlike a father! But when he heard what was theoretically possible, that I could create one day not his son, not even a carbon-copy but another original, he was thrilled by the idea! The right Hitler for the right future! A Hitler tailor-made for the 1980s, the 1990s, 2000!
- He betrayed me, he betrayed you, he betrayed the Aryan race!
- Mrs. Doring: [about Mengele]] Would you like me to tell you who really killed him? God. To set free a stupid little farm girl after twenty-two years of unhappiness. Do Nazis answer prayers Herr Lieberman? No, that is God's business and I have thanked Him every night since He pushed Emil under that car. He could have done it sooner, but I thank Him anyway.
- Dr. Josef Mengele: You are a clever boy. Are you not? You do not well at school, but it's because you are too clever. Too busy, thinking your own thoughts. But you are much smarter than your teachers, hah?
- Bobby Wheelock: My teachers are nowhere.
- Dr. Josef Mengele: You are going to be the world's greatest photographer, are you not? Have you ever felt superior to those around you? Like a prince among peasants?
- Bobby Wheelock: I feel different from everyone sometimes.
- Dr. Josef Mengele: You are infinitely different. Infinitely superior. You are born of the noblest blood in the world.
- Gertrud: [Mengele has just knocked Mundt to the floor] Get a doctor!
- Dr. Josef Mengele: I am a doctor, idiot.
- Gertrud: Don't you come near him!
- Dr. Josef Mengele: Shut up, you ugly bitch.
- Ezra Lieberman: Did you kill Wheelock?
- Dr. Josef Mengele: [sarcastically] No, he's in the kitchen mixing us some cocktails!
- Gregory Peck - Dr. Josef Mengele
- Laurence Olivier - Ezra Lieberman
- James Mason - Eduard Seibert
- Lilli Palmer - Esther Lieberman
- Uta Hagen - Frieda Maloney
- Steve Guttenberg - Barry Kohler
- Denholm Elliott - Sidney Beynon
- Rosemary Harris - Frau Doring
- John Dehner - Henry Wheelock
- John Rubinstein - David Bennett
- Anne Meara - Mrs. Curry
- Bruno Ganz as Dr. Bruckner
- Walter Gotell as Mundt
- David Hurst as Strasser
- Wolfgang Preiss as Lofquist
- Michael Gough as Mr. Harrington
- Joachim Hansen as Fassler
- Sky du Mont as Hessen
About The Boys from Brazil (film)
- Well, in fact, I’d not read the book, but one could hardly be alive and employed in the acting profession and not know that ‘The Boys from Brazil’ had two stupendous leading roles in it. Oscar material. And of course, always trying to improve my position, I was hoping one of them would fall in my lap.