The Brain That Wouldn't Die
The Brain That Wouldn't Die is a 1962 film about a doctor experimenting with transplant techniques who keeps his girlfriend's head alive when she is decapitated in a car crash, then goes hunting for a new body.
- Directed by Joseph Green. Written by Rex Carlton.
Dr. Bill Cortner
- There's more to surgery than just being a carpenter to patch up walls or a plumber to drain pipes. Our body's capable of adjusting in ways we've never dreamt of. If we could only find the key!
- Nothing is unbelievable if you have the nerve to operate.
- I'm only a head, and you're whatever you are. Together we're strong. More powerful than any of them.
- Nothing you can be is more terrible than what I am.
- Let me die.
- The alcoholic has his bottle, the dope addict his needle; I had my research.
- The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations and often lose themselves in error and darkness!
- You're nothing but a freak of life! And, a freak of death!
- Jan Compton: What's locked behind that door?
- Kurt: A horror... no normal mind can imagine. Something even more terrible than you!
- Jan Compton: No, my deformed friend, like all quantities, horror has it's ultimate, and I am that.
- Blonde Stripper: [hands on hips] You lousy tramp! Once in a blue moon I liken to a guy with class and *you* mess it up!
- Brunet Stripper: Eh! What makes you think you had him? He wouldn't have you on a bet!
- Blonde Stripper: [hands still on hips] Says who?
- Brunet Stripper: Says me! What's a guy like that want with *leftovers* for?
- Blonde Stripper: *Leftovers*?
- [blonde stripper goes to slap the brunette stripper and a man's hand appears on screen slapping the brunette stripper]
- Brunet Stripper: [puts hand to face in shock] Why you cheap third grade stripper!
- [catfight ensues between the two strippers]
- Brunet Stripper: Ow! Let go!
- Blonde Stripper: Don't you ever call me that again! Oooh!
- Brunet Stripper: I'll mash you on the butt!
- Blonde Stripper: Try!
- Brunet Stripper: Oh, I'll try!
- [camera cuts to shot of a tapestry with cats on it and a voice says "Meow!"]
- Jan Compton: And what else has happened to it?
- Kurt: What do you mean, what else? Well, it's... It's mutated some, of course. It's changed considerably
- Alive... without a body... fed by an unspeakable horror from hell!
- It's madness, not science!
- Jason Evers — Dr. Bill Cortner
- Virginia Leith — Jan Compton
- Leslie Daniels — Kurt
- Adele Lamont — Doris Powell